Just pick up another $$$ hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airbrush helps a lot to get even coats.

It is not THAT expensive when compared to photography gear hehe :p I think a taiwanese made airbrush and compressor set at Hobby Point only costs 2-300 dollars.

Hi, for those of you who paints your model, do you guys use airbrush to do it?

I'm thinking of learning airbrush, but that would mean starting a new skill from rock bottom and airbrush equipments are not cheap. Models without painting looks very plasticky.

dont want to damage ur babies lar. thanks.

went to utube, they do have Meteor + Justice, but in 1/400 scale.:angry::angry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89QeZMSCE-Y

btw, can pls advice can i use permanent black marker to do the panel linings?

Hi Dennis, there is a specialized Gundam marker for drawing the panel linings. It has a very very fine marker tip.

Another method is to use fine brushes. Dip the brush in diluted black paint and then gently touch the linings with the tip of the brush. The paint will flow into the lines.
Clean the sides carefully and then wait for the paint to dry. I learnt this technique from a modeling enthusiast army buddy. It works, but lots of patience needed.

Last edited:
Airbrush helps a lot to get even coats.

It is not THAT expensive when compared to photography gear hehe :p I think a taiwanese made airbrush and compressor set at Hobby Point only costs 2-300 dollars.

Haha, you are totally right about the price of airbrush kit as compared to camera kit.

I have an all-white Gundam lying on my bedroom door.....think it's time I get some work done on it. Motivate :gbounce:

Is it just me or does that look like a really feminine fighter with muave PEEENKKK trims? :sweatsm: :lovegrin:

the 2 sets of Meteor are actually the main weapon on Gundam Seed Eternal, the battle ship of the Songtress, Lacus Clyne. so pinky pinky one lor.

Is the specialized "Gundam Markers" different from normal permanent markers?

Last edited:
does anyone knows where to buy those red reflective stickers (not the luminous type)?want to stick onto the jet pack of the Meteor.:cool:

mod lights into the model kit is another option, but i am afraid the weight will be too much for the Meteor.:think::dunno:

Hahah jiayou!! We can start a scale modelling club in Kopitiam here! :)

I'm still waiting to go Taipei to buy my AB set - prices much cheaper than here. Once get, can start completing my kits liao! :)

Haha, you are totally right about the price of airbrush kit as compared to camera kit.

I have an all-white Gundam lying on my bedroom door.....think it's time I get some work done on it. Motivate :gbounce:

My comment has a high chance to be wrong since I'm still a newbie and don't do much Gundams, but from what I undersatnd, gundamn markers are paint markers. Your normal permanent markers (those by Pilot, or Marvy Markers) are ink based markers.

Paint is more resilient than ink, and you can actually find nomal paint markers in the hardware shops (ie non-Gundam). BUT, Ihave yet to see such a fine tip normal paint markers as the Gundam Markers.

Of course, the Gundam markers also come in more colours than normal paint markers.

t

Is the specialized "Gundam Markers" different from normal permanent markers?

My comment has a high chance to be wrong since I'm still a newbie and don't do much Gundams, but from what I undersatnd, gundamn markers are paint markers. Your normal permanent markers (those by Pilot, or Marvy Markers) are ink based markers.

Paint is more resilient than ink, and you can actually find nomal paint markers in the hardware shops (ie non-Gundam). BUT, Ihave yet to see such a fine tip normal paint markers as the Gundam Markers.

Of course, the Gundam markers also come in more colours than normal paint markers.

thanks. seems no other way liao, unless air-brush $$$.

want to pick up black (panel lines) and red (missile head).

think the Freedom will have to wait. too much improvement needed for the Meteor Unit.

off to work, be back in 15hrs.

pls help a newbie in model kit to improve as cheap as possible. hahaha.

Last edited:

Yea, the main advantage of Gundam markers is the fine marker tips which is essential for the tiny panel linings.

Once you master the steady hands needed to paint the linings, you can start using lens without IS or VR liao :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Don't worry lah, we all new all learn together:)

Airbrush will not help you with panel lines because there's no airbrush that is fine enough to spray just the panel line. And unless your hands are "shen", I doubt you can control it as well :p I doubt anyone uses airbrush to do panel lines.

Panel lines use gundam marker or oil wash.

I don't quite know what your red thing looks like, maybe you can post a pic then see if there's any tips to help you.

thanks. seems no other way liao, unless air-brush $$$.

want to pick up black (panel lines) and red (missile head).

think the Freedom will have to wait. too much improvement needed for the Meteor Unit.

off to work, be back in 15hrs.

pls help a newbie in model kit to improve as cheap as possible. hahaha.

anybody using those taiwanese 2-300 airbrush kits? i'm more concerned with whether they can last and if spoil, find who!?

Don't worry lah, we all new all learn together:)

Airbrush will not help you with panel lines because there's no airbrush that is fine enough to spray just the panel line. And unless your hands are "shen", I doubt you can control it as well :p I doubt anyone uses airbrush to do panel lines.

Panel lines use gundam marker or oil wash.

I don't quite know what your red thing looks like, maybe you can post a pic then see if there's any tips to help you.

there is always masking tapes...

Never heard of anyone using masking tapes to do panel lines before...you're welcome to try :)

there is always masking tapes...

I don't think taiwanese airbrush kits cost so much. But if you're talking about airbrush WITH compressor, yea that is possible.

I was looking at the Sparmax AC500 just today, seems not bad.

anybody using those taiwanese 2-300 airbrush kits? i'm more concerned with whether they can last and if spoil, find who!?

OLYMPUS Airbrush ftw! :devil:

Or for a super wide range starting as low as $20+, there's always ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=ai...6.m270.l1313&_odkw=Olympus+airbrush&_osacat=0 :bsmilie:

BTW, for affordable compressors, check the warehouse hardware and hobbyist outfits in the US. I've heard of compressors going for as low as US$40 from Michael's Craft Stores.

BUT bear in mind that you're taking a risk using cheap components as a multitude of problems (usually with the feed and contaminants/reliability) could occur.

Last edited:
There's a hobby shop on the top floor of Peninsular Shopping Centre selling affordable airbrush kit. The boss is pretty friendly too.

I'm looking at US made Badger airbrush, 100 plus from Arts N Frens.

Status
Not open for further replies.