Just bought my first DSLR - A55!!

The EVF to me is new. I always use the LCD on my canon ixus so not much opinion on it but I think it's cool.

Anyway may I find out how to I choose the AF point on where to focus? Can't figure out till today but the salesperson did demo to me yday.

You need to select local for the focus area, then just press AF on the wheel and when it turns to orange you can select.

hi everyone, i just got my a55 too with 50mm/1.8 and 18-250mm very happy but the battery is totally flat when new so need to charge up the battery first. i got it from cathay photo at peni plaza altogether with 2 more filter cost me $1828 and the break down will be $1629 for a55 w/18-250 and $119 for 50mm/1.8 and $12 for scr protector and 68 for 62mm hoya nd4 and hoya uv filter.;)

FreeMan1 said:
hi everyone, i just got my a55 too with 50mm/1.8 and 18-250mm very happy but the battery is totally flat when new so need to charge up the battery first. i got it from cathay photo at peni plaza altogether with 2 more filter cost me $1828 and the break down will be $1629 for a55 w/18-250 and $119 for 50mm/1.8 and $12 for scr protector and 68 for 62mm hoya nd4 and hoya uv filter.;)

Congrats to u! I think your package quite similar to mine.
Anyway what's that 68 for 62mm Hoya nd4?

Congrats to u! I think your package quite similar to mine.
Anyway what's that 68 for 62mm Hoya nd4?

It means he paid 68 SGD for a Hoya ND4 filter and a UV filter.

Ok I got it. But I think I'm still too green for that. Anyway anyone can recommend what other lens can I buy? Essential ones but not too ex.
I currently have 18-55,18-250 and DT50mm.

Ok I got it. But I think I'm still too green for that. Anyway anyone can recommend what other lens can I buy? Essential ones but not too ex.
I currently have 18-55,18-250 and DT50mm.

That's all you need - in fact, might be more than you need. Use those first, and as your style develops you'll see what is limiting you and can plan accordingly.

Does it makes sense if i buy a DT 35mm F1.8 and sell away my DT 50mm F1.8. Advise needed.

Also, i currently own SAL18-250, does it makes sense if i also own the SAL 75-300mm?

Fyi, i also have the 30mm F2.8 macro lens.

Does it makes sense if i buy a DT 35mm F1.8 and sell away my DT 50mm F1.8. Advise needed.

Also, i currently own SAL18-250, does it makes sense if i also own the SAL 75-300mm?

You might wanna hold your horses abit and shoot more with us

Join our shooting more to find out which lens to buy next.
Free lens poisoning trial is on first come first serve basis ;)

honestly? all-in-one superzooms are lenses that have quite poor image quality.

you should look at a 24-70... and 70-200...

35mm and 50mm have different purposes. 35mm would give you a wider field of view. 50mm's narrower.

if you wanted to take a group shot, 35mm would be easier to help you compose.

but first of all, you didn't specify why you would want to ditch your 50mm.

and owning the 75-300 together with the 18-250? that's just plain weird. to get the extra 50mm all you need to do is to walk forward a little. simple as that.

Thanks kei1309.

Ok. I intent to ditch my 50mm cos I find it too close for portrait. I need to move quite far back just to take a half body pic. So with a 35mm, I would not be so restrictive and can also manage group pics.

Anyway, I'm able to choose a lens that I want for free as a bonus from my boss. So I want to get something that I back but not too ex.

So pls advise what I should get to fill up my collection for macro, portrait and zoom. I have 18-250, 18-55, 50mm and 30mmF2.8 at this moment.

Erm. Okay...
But nobody haven't really answered my questions.

U need a dry cabin, lens pen, tripod.

Read the manual many times before u confirm you give up then ask the questions. Photography is about try and error by learning how to use it. Asking for answers straight away will shorten the joy of playing with your new toy.

U need a dry cabin, lens pen, tripod.

Read the manual many times before u confirm you give up then ask the questions. Photography is about try and error by learning how to use it. Asking for answers straight away will shorten the joy of playing with your new toy.

I already have a 40L dry cabinet and tripod but what is a lens pen?

By the way i din know the manual is useful cos i thought it only contains warranty information etc etc. okay i will look up the manual and see what it says.;)

Thanks kei1309.

Ok. I intent to ditch my 50mm cos I find it too close for portrait. I need to move quite far back just to take a half body pic. So with a 35mm, I would not be so restrictive and can also manage group pics.

Portrait generally means a photo capturing the expression of the model. And the focus is mainly on the face, or even just the eyes. Its often a close up shot of just the face, or half body. Which is exactly what the 50mm does, (75mm on a crop sensor).

Group shots are not generally not considered portraits, and if its group shots you want, even 30mm might be too much depending on the size of your group and studio. A 24mm (36mm on APS-C sensor) would be about just nice.

To be honest, your 18-55mm can more than do the job, just stop down to F5.6 or F8 at around 24mm and make sure there's enough light.

The kit lens is really good, but many judge a lens by its cost, size & appearance. And sell it off without giving it a try.