Not open for further replies.
ricohflex said:
lucky you
you have a choice
most people don't
they have parents or siblings to support

perhaps you are one of those ah sia kia
reach 18 years, dad buys you a Ferarri
after NS go to U, mum buys you a condo near to NUS so you can stay closer to study place
graduate, can go long holiday and got money to go overseas holiday

Sadly I am at the complete end of what you just mention and I am the solebreadwinner at this point in time. We do get by though based on my miserly earnings at the moment.It isn't just the money alone....there are other commitments like working hours, bonds and stuff which put me off.

If I m that rich hor, would be setting up a business to make others work for me rather than working for others liao.

I would choose the travelling option.
Reasons because:-
(1) It is not easy to find a suitable travelling companion, esp for backpacking.
(2) Once you start working, it may be hard to take leave from your work/responsibilities.
(3) It is hard to coordinate travel schedules between people with heavy work committments
(4) (stupid reason) Bird flu might errupt into a worldwide epidemic, causing chaos all over. :p

Just my own thos. :cool:

boroangel said:
I was just wondering...if you have another 6 months left before you graduate but a company wants to sign you up now...that means you would have to adhere to their leave policy...but before that you already had plans to travel for a backpacking trip which will take 2 weeks in May...and another one with family which will take a week in August...both will mean you will have to knock 13 days off your leave...what would you do?

Would you take the job and do the backpacking next time, which would be even harder cos you would be working then...or would you reject the job considering the job offer would still be there when you graduate...oh another factor...in you go in May you might have a nice lady companion to go with you but if you go next time you should be going alone...
Find out abt their leave policy and whether they allow accumulation of leave for at least 1yr. :bsmilie:

But in any case, take the job. U've got a choice.... Enjoy now, suffer later or suffer now, enjoy later. The latter which will bring u in some form of income.... UNLESS u feel that u're too high classed and over-qualified for the job offer, den go ahead with ur backpacking.

Jobs are not easy to find now my friend. Its an Employer Market now. The days of the Employee Market is long gone and dead and will never come back again.

You should negotiate for no pay leave. You have not worked there long enough to accumulate any leave anyway. If you are considered a value add to their team, 2 to 3 weeks no pay leave, under the circumstance you describe, any reasonable boss should not have any problems. If this become a problem, it's a sign of more problems to come.

If I were the boss, I will grant you no pay leave, and that is exactly what I had done in the past.

Deadpoet said:
You should negotiate for no pay leave. You have not worked there long enough to accumulate any leave anyway. If you are considered a value add to their team, 2 to 3 weeks no pay leave, under the circumstance you describe, any reasonable boss should not have any problems. If this become a problem, it's a sign of more problems to come.

If I were the boss, I will grant you no pay leave, and that is exactly what I had done in the bast.
Can I be ur employee? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.