Is Singapore going to really build this building?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, now buildings in Singapore getting more "high-klass" with international renowed architects to design the buildings.

Not only Orchard turn got the Kebab, Harbour front having this wavy condo and not forgetting the 4-5 million The Sail.... :sweat:

I love The Sail. I think that building will stay nice looking for a long time. Whereas the Kebab looks like it is trying to reinvent cubism which in my books is so last season.

actually, i remember of hotel new world or something like that, the hotel which collapse when we started building MRT that one... just because the main pillar was hit, the building came down:cry: ...

Where did you get that from? Which is way off the mark anyway. Hotel New World collapsed because the structure was under designed for its intended usage.

Well, now buildings in Singapore getting more "high-klass" with international renowed architects to design the buildings.

Not only Orchard turn got the Kebab, Harbour front having this wavy condo and not forgetting the 4-5 million The Sail.... :sweat:

Famous architects has always been working on projects in Singapore. Its just that they were not widely publicised like now. I.M. Pei's OCBC building and Raffles City dates back to the 70s and 80s respectively.

Where did you get that from? Which is way off the mark anyway. Hotel New World collapsed because the structure was under designed for its intended usage.

IIRC, Hotel New World collapsed due to its extra water tank on the top floor plus only using some weak stuff (wood i think) to strengthen the foundation pillars. Not forgetting, ignorance

IIRC, Hotel New World collapsed due to its extra water tank on the top floor plus only using some weak stuff (wood i think) to strengthen the foundation pillars. Not forgetting, ignorance

The structural engineer mistakenly omitted the dead load (load of the building itself) in the structural calculations, resulting in an under design of the structural components. Despite the massive additional live load, the building would still have been able to carry them if not for the mistake in calculation.

correct that is what i trying to say, the load.... is the main factor

Famous architects has always been working on projects in Singapore. Its just that they were not widely publicised like now. I.M. Pei's OCBC building and Raffles City dates back to the 70s and 80s respectively.
ya... plus Kenzo Tange's Indoor stadium and UOB towers....

i feel that now famous architects becoming labelled like Prada n gucci... :sweat:

Kebabs anyone?

Republic and Temasek Polys are both designed by world famous Pritzker architects. TP is by James Stirling, and is one of his last works before he passed away.

Marina Sqaure / Millenia Tower is designed by a world class team of 'Starchitects' like Pritzker award winner Kevin Roche.

Colonade and The Concourse are by Paul Rudolph.

Lesser know buildings designed by world famous architects, nothing new here.

Republic and Temasek Polys are both designed by world famous Pritzker architects. TP is by James Stirling, and is one of his last works before he passed away.

Marina Sqaure / Millenia Tower is designed by a world class team of 'Starchitects' like Pritzker award winner Kevin Roche.

Colonade and The Concourse are by Paul Rudolph.

Lesser know buildings designed by world famous architects, nothing new here.
Well... too bad lor... Ppl only notice when these famous ppl pass away and ST publish about them on Life segment.

now i now how we are going to place 6million people on this island... but will it stand for long? will a quake in indonesia, may just bring it down, try supporting yourself on one toe...

There are stuff going on below that toe which you can't see. If you are so interested in commenting, I suggest you find out more first.

Well... too bad lor... Ppl only notice when these famous ppl pass away and ST publish about them on Life segment.

We've already got 3 works by Kenzo Tange, 1 by Stirling, 2 by Rudolph.

Tange: UOB Plaza complex, OUB Centre, Indoor Stadium

Is CHS Boarding School by Kenzo or his son?

Stirling: Temasek Poly campus

Paul Rudolph: The Colonade, The Concourse

There are stuff going on below that toe which you can't see. If you are so interested in commenting, I suggest you find out more first.
huh? chiu can explain further? i dun understand....

huh? chiu can explain further? i dun understand....

Buildings are not just anyhow built or designed. The architect has to work with the structural engineers which will make sure the building is able to stand up on it's own and support the live load, the occupants and furniture. Besides that, the design will be reviewed by the authorities to make sure everything is okay before being approved.

So no worries it'll collapse or topple.

Buildings are not just anyhow built or designed. The architect has to work with the structural engineers which will make sure the building is able to stand up on it's own and support the live load, the occupants and furniture. Besides that, the design will be reviewed by the authorities to make sure everything is okay before being approved.

So no worries it'll collapse or topple.
i guess Kit is not on this point, this point i understand. but he said there is 'stuff going on below that toe which you can't see.' wat it mean he din explain:dunno:

i guess Kit is not on this point, this point i understand. but he said there is 'stuff going on below that toe which you can't see.' wat it mean he din explain:dunno:

I think he might be using your metaphor of standing on one toe... Like, there's lots of things done in the field of civil engineering of the building that people usually don't notice.

Let's wait for Kit to be back. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.