Is photography very difficult???

Status
Not open for further replies.
taking photos is for fun. Photography is for everyone who has eyes, a finger and a camera. Its only hard when you set barriers/boundaries/expectations on yourself. =]

Btw guys, for Nikon what are DX lens? I randomly picked a DX lens and realised it has zoom, so what's the difference between that and zoom lens?

Also I randomly pick a zoom lens: AF-S VR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED

Can somebody help me analyse the string of charactes? I know AF-S means auto focus, VR means vibration reduction, what abou 200-400mm? f/4G is the aperture right? Then IF-ED?

Cheers.

Btw guys, for Nikon what are DX lens? I randomly picked a DX lens and realised it has zoom, so what's the difference between that and zoom lens?

Also I randomly pick a zoom lens: AF-S VR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED

Can somebody help me analyse the string of charactes? I know AF-S means auto focus, VR means vibration reduction, what abou 200-400mm? f/4G is the aperture right? Then IF-ED?

Cheers.

DX lenses are designed to provide an imaging circle just enough for crop bodies sensors, it doesn't imply it has zoom or whatever function.. 200-400mm refers to the focal length, in this case its a telephoto lens.. IF-ED refers to internal focusing and extra-dispersion glass if I'm not wrong..

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

Can slowly go read for all the wierd acronymns. FOr canon/KM/Pentax all got thier own maning convention. TO add to confusion third party manufacturers also have thier own terminology.

As for the numbers 200-400 means 200mm to 400mm foclal length based on 35mm f/4 is the max aperature.

If you see a number like 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 means that its max f/3.5 at 18mm and max f/5.6 at 70mm. Generally lesnes with a zoom range and single max aperature like the one you selected will cost more. Eg. 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 vs the 17-55/f2.8

DX lenses are designed to provide an imaging circle just enough for crop bodies sensors, it doesn't imply it has zoom or whatever function.. 200-400mm refers to the focal length, in this case its a telephoto lens.. IF-ED refers to internal focusing and extra-dispersion glass if I'm not wrong..
Still dun understand what does "imaging circle just enough for crop bodies sensors" means lol :(

http://www.bythom.com/lensacronyms.htm

Can slowly go read for all the wierd acronymns. FOr canon/KM/Pentax all got thier own maning convention. TO add to confusion third party manufacturers also have thier own terminology.

As for the numbers 200-400 means 200mm to 400mm foclal length based on 35mm f/4 is the max aperature.

If you see a number like 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 means that its max f/3.5 at 18mm and max f/5.6 at 70mm. Generally lesnes with a zoom range and single max aperature like the one you selected will cost more. Eg. 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 vs the 17-55/f2.8
Nice, I bookmarked it. By the way for focal length the more it is means the better the zoom?

No zoom means that the lens has a range of focal lengths like 18-55. Telephoto lense which have focal lengths 85mm or more give you a narrow field of view which helps you to isolate the subject. If you are interested in leanring more I'd suggest gogin down to the library and borrowing some books on understanding the basics and terms involved. Would eb much afster if you read it for yourself .

Still dun understand what does "imaging circle just enough for crop bodies sensors" means lol :(

Nice, I bookmarked it. By the way for focal length the more it is means the better the zoom?

Focal length refers to the "reach" of the lens.

If you don't understand about imaging circle and crop sensors, I highly suggest you try some reading of the newbies stickies, google research and read some books.

But i'll suffer some losses when i upgrade to dslr, so i tot id might as well start with dslr :)

well, you dont have to sell it even when you upgrade to a DSLR. The pocket-ability of the LX3 is non replaceable.

Depends on how far you, the photographer, want to push it :think:

If you just use AUTO mode on your DSLR and snapsnapsnap without thinking...sure! Photography is easy! :bsmilie:

From photo electronics, funan:

D60 $750 with 4GB memory card and bag worth it?

Got one $890 song brothers iirc:

D60 $890 4GB memory card, card reader, bag, tripod, umbrella LOL :D

Btw I got hands on with a D60 in funan, got some queries :):

1) If auto focus on a target (say 2m in front) will the background still be clear?
2) By manually focusing on a target the bg will be blurred right? Isn't this the same as setting a larger aperture to blur the background?

From photo electronics, funan:

D60 $750 with 4GB memory card and bag worth it?

Got one $890 song brothers iirc:

D60 $890 4GB memory card, card reader, bag, tripod, umbrella LOL :D

:bsmilie:
dump the tripod, umbrella....and card reader too!

bunch of useless crap :bsmilie:

1) If auto focus on a target (say 2m in front) will the background still be clear?
2) By manually focusing on a target the bg will be blurred right? Isn't this the same as setting a larger aperture to blur the background?

1) Not necessary. a couple of factors, depending on the aperture, the distance of subject from the background etc..

2) All else equal, accurate manual focusing or AF should yield the same result so called blurring of the background. A larger aperture has a thinner depth of field, and will have more background blurrness ( out of focus )

You will need to surmount the technicalities and basics before you can truely enjoy photography. But no fret, it does not take too long to learn them either! :)

Ryan

What on earth makes you think that MF will give a blurred background? Try a search on the forum to understand more. There is acually a current thread on blurring background.

What on earth makes you think that MF will give a blurred background? Try a search on the forum to understand more. There is acually a current thread on blurring background.
Bcuz I tried the MF for D60 and the bg is blurred ... :S

Bcuz I tried the MF for D60 and the bg is blurred ... :S

That's cos of either hand-shake, poor focusing, or both :)

btw, try to learn how to use the D60 MF system. I tried it once. It's better than more 'professional' bodies such as the D200!

Last edited:
But I haven't buy yet, parents still like 50% against; cuz my dad bought a compact digicam recently >.<

By the way I said blur is definitely not hand-shake, cuz it's not those motion blur, it is blur when I look through the eye-piece (what's the term for it ah) :)

But I haven't buy yet, parents still like 50% against; cuz my dad bought a compact digicam recently >.<

By the way I said blur is definitely not hand-shake, cuz it's not those motion blur, it is blur when I look through the eye-piece (what's the term for it ah)

eyepiece of the blur?

the blur's known as 'out-of-focus' ( aka OOF )

and the 'eyepiece' is properly termed the 'viewfinder' :)

Last edited:
By the way I said blur is definitely not hand-shake, cuz it's not those motion blur, it is blur when I look through the eye-piece (what's the term for it ah) :)

Unless using certain manual focusing lenses, what you are viewing through the view finder is at the widest aperture of the lens used ( irregardless of the aperture you set ), and will stop down to the aperture you selected when the shutter is pressed.

Hence the you might percieve to have the same amount of out of focus areas even when you shoot at various aperture settings for a particular scene.

Ryan

Last edited:
It takes lot's of practice and need to use a suitable camera for the occasion. Your handphone photo suffered from handshake.

If you really want to pick up photog, try starting slow by getting a prosumer like Panasonic LX3 first.

LX3 is expensive! D40 is much more capable at about the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.