is Pentax still crazy? thoughts when heard 50mm n 35mm price at MS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean if the day like what had happened to minolta comes to pentax, maybe samsung may take over like sony took over minolta --- you know minolta, right? it was them to introduce body AS. their G lenses are of same class to * or L.

Why are you saying Samsung will buy over? isn't Hoya the parent company of Pentax now?

I mean if the day like what had happened to minolta comes to pentax, maybe samsung may take over like sony took over minolta --- you know minolta, right? it was them to introduce body AS. their G lenses are of same class to * or L.

Errr, Sony did not do a hostile take over of minolta camera division. Minolta put it up for sale, and Sony jumped at it.

And Hoya group is a very strong company, if you do not know already...

Anyway, if you are so unhappy with Pentax, you can simply sell all your Pentax stuff and go Nikon or Canon. I mean, it is totally up to you mah...

he is ridiculously only focusing on the pentax lenses that have raised in price.

why doesn't he mention the nikon lens prices being raised, or canon for that matter, i have no idea.

selective vision is a common disease today, when people just want to argue their way via 强词夺理. as if repeating the same thing over and over again is going to make something true. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maybe he is trying to convince himself that the whole world (aka Pentax) has a big conspiracy against him.

I think he wouldn't make so much noise if he bought the lens before the price hike, and will sell in BnS now and make some good money... ;)

if you are going to compare things, make it in right way.
talk about price change over a period of time, you counter it by percentage or net amount? or just say, OK, A goes up, B goes up. equal, done.
hmm?

he is ridiculously only focusing on the pentax lenses that have raised in price.

why doesn't he mention the nikon lens prices being raised, or canon for that matter, i have no idea.

selective vision is a common disease today, when people just want to argue their way via 强词夺理. as if repeating the same thing over and over again is going to make something true. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Which is true, in cyber world, because people can easily say whatever they wanna say here and don't need to be responsible for whatever they say. 谎言千遍成真理.

I'm not saying OT is telling lies. But I do feel he's biased on the pricing issue.

we live on the same world, how come only pentax price rised so much more comparing to others?
do you guys really think only 35mm and 50mm overpriced? to my opinion, other than the kit lens, all (ok, most if not all) are overpriced, more or less, cost or market point. lmts have their own merits, but still, any good reason for the rise special to pentax?

Overpriced in your opinion or not, people will still buy them if they see value in the products.
To me I see the value in the build quality and the aesthetic and small size for the limited lens that's why I do not mind paying a premium for it. I do not see the value in the FA35 & 50 thus i choose not to have it as i am not restricted with the choices Pentax is offering.

The recent higher demand for pentax lens and thus drives up the prices of the lenses due to the low supply, simple economics. If you deem that the current price is too outrageous, you can either choose to 1) buy third party, 2) change camp. No point crying over spilled milk.

if you are going to compare things, make it in right way.
talk about price change over a period of time, you counter it by percentage or net amount? or just say, OK, A goes up, B goes up. equal, done.
hmm?

In response to your statement above...

You need to compare in the right way as well. Nikon and Canon lenses also got a price hike in early 2009. And we have already shown you prices of Nikon's and Canon's 50/1.4 are around the same price as Pentax's 50/1.4. So what is your beef now? :dunno:

Why does TS want to post such a thread in the hostile camp? :dunno:
If TS thinks Pentax is as what he had mentioned, then so be it.
Pentax has lost one customer.
But for now, for me, Pentax rules.... :thumbsup:
:bsmilie:

I thought Marketing strategy is always like that? thats why I'm not surprise.

To attaract Market, price will be lowered down. Then when managed to attract, the price went higher...but not that much. U must think, sometimes shop sellers are competing with each other to make the price. Some factors also must input like cost of the material used for the lense. Maybe it went higher? nowadays, even 1pc of candy went up from 10cent to 40cents. There are also the added cost of their shop rents that is always invinsible.

Also, the demands. If the 50mm was 300 previously maybe it was not that in demand yet. But when the K7 & Kx booms, the demands getting many. Thus this includes, getting more manpower,getting more raw material etc...all this must input in the cost of that single lens.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking that, but thats what I believe.

But MScolor do sell a bit higer price. If u asked them whats up wit the price, probably they say Supplier cost higher. But in fact, u'll never know. It maybe the rent cost etc in that lens. But this methods can be included to all shops albeit how much the price that they mark-up.

I thought Marketing strategy is always like that? thats why I'm not surprise.

To attaract Market, price will be lowered down. Then when managed to attract, the price went higher...but not that much. U must think, sometimes shop sellers are competing with each other to make the price. Some factors also must input like cost of the material used for the lense. Maybe it went higher? nowadays, even 1pc of candy went up from 10cent to 40cents. There are also the added cost of their shop rents that is always invinsible.

Also, the demands. If the 50mm was 300 previously maybe it was not that in demand yet. But when the K7 & Kx booms, the demands getting many. Thus this includes, getting more manpower,getting more raw material etc...all this must input in the cost of that single lens.

Maybe I am wrong in thinking that, but thats what I believe.

But MScolor do sell a bit higer price. If u asked them whats up wit the price, probably they say Supplier cost higher. But in fact, u'll never know. It maybe the rent cost etc in that lens. But this methods can be included to all shops albeit how much the price that they mark-up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:+1

For those of you who cooks and go to market to buy vege. You should know garlic and shallots prices just went up by more than 50% last week.

as I said, limited ones have their own merits to attract people, and some *s. that's personal choice. no comment on that because it's difficult to compare directly. there are not parallel products from other vendors.
then can I still compare something directly? these are consumer electronic products, not art pieces. their costs and performance are predictable and measurable objectively, isn't it?
for the shortage, it's always the neck of pentax. I would rather pentax really sets limited as limited, and puts more effort to produce more popular models, as other brands did. maybe by this way they can gain more strength in return to produce more germs. there is market strategy behind economics. I do not known the profit rate they got, though.
again I said I stopped buying liao, lucky me got in to this before kx, before km, before k100. it is interesting to figure out the trend after each launch of popular models.

Overpriced in your opinion or not, people will still buy them if they see value in the products.
To me I see the value in the build quality and the aesthetic and small size for the limited lens that's why I do not mind paying a premium for it. I do not see the value in the FA35 & 50 thus i choose not to have it as i am not restricted with the choices Pentax is offering.

The recent higher demand for pentax lens and thus drives up the prices of the lenses due to the low supply, simple economics. If you deem that the current price is too outrageous, you can either choose to 1) buy third party, 2) change camp. No point crying over spilled milk.

we live on the same world, how come only pentax price rised so much more comparing to others?
do you guys really think only 35mm and 50mm overpriced? to my opinion, other than the kit lens, all (ok, most if not all) are overpriced, more or less, cost or market point. lmts have their own merits, but still, any good reason for the rise special to pentax?

If you think Pentax lenses are over priced, here is the list from b&h (all prices are in USD, and don't tell me the FF or crop thing, we don't have FF cameras, and while you use these FF lenses on cropped cameras - which is true to many C/N users w/ cropped cameras, they are cropped):

Pentax DA14.2.8: $699.95
Nikon 14/2.8D: $1349.95
Canon 14/2.8USM II: $2100

Pentax DA12-24/4: $699.95
Nikon 12-24/4G: $949.95
Canon EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5 USM: $739

Pentax DA*16-50/2.8: $749.95
Nikon 17-55/2.8G: $1359.95
Canon 17-55f/2.8: $1060

Pentax DA*50-135/2.8: $819.95
Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR:$2169
Canon 70-200/2.8 IS: $1899

Pentax DA*60-250/4: $1,199.95
Canon 70-200/4L IS: $1210

Pentax DFA100/2.8WR macro: $699.95
Nikon 105/2.8 VR macro: $789.95
Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS macro: $944

Pentax DA18-55WR:$149.95
Pentax DA50-200WR:$214.95
Any WR lens from C/N which is lower than $500?

If Pentax lenses are over priced, how about C/N ones?

Last edited:
if you can not understand, let me explain my way to counter the price rise: by percentage, or by net amount.
then if you agree that pentax sold their lens much cheaper to slightly cheaper than C or N year(s) back, and now (slightly) higher price, no matter how you calculate, you will find pentax raised the price more. can you get it?
or your mind are only able to compare like this: A goes up, B goes up. OK same thing, no complains.

In response to your statement above...
You need to compare in the right way as well. Nikon and Canon lenses also got a price hike in early 2009. And we have already shown you prices of Nikon's and Canon's 50/1.4 are around the same price as Pentax's 50/1.4. So what is your beef now? :dunno:

so selling expensive make the brand? leica died before, how many time? where is zeiss now?
could you tell me how canon and nikon made their step up? isn't it the same strategy for the Jap cars?
think about your original question.
over the years, pentax saved on ads, but increased price. they are all J companies. can you work out a sound reason?

as to old lenses, directly or not is not a big issue, since you have gone this far to get old lenses. how about leica mount? CZ mount? the attractive benefit for pentax was AF conformation, but now AF adaptors flood.

is pentax "expensive"? or are u just talking about those 2 lenses u want but find overpriced?

among the numerous "attractive benefit" for pentax, u choose to mention AF confirmation?

and why do u say now that compatibility for old lenses is not a big issue? would you even go through the trouble of sourcing for old lenses if u knew that it won't fit properly on your DSLR body?

if your equipment doesn't suit you, sell it and change it. no point getting all worked up over how the company is run. its damn bo liao lor. :rolleyes:

if you can not understand, let me explain my way to counter the price rise: by percentage, or by net amount.
then if you agree that pentax sold their lens much cheaper to slightly cheaper than C or N year(s) back, and now (slightly) higher price, no matter how you calculate, you will find pentax raised the price more. can you get it?
or your mind are only able to compare like this: A goes up, B goes up. OK same thing, no complains.

As we've said before, FA50 was priced too low a few years back, thus you feel the big jump in price. Nevertheless, I agree w/ you the price at MS Color is way too high. As to FA35, it's hard to find. But if you want a direct comparison: Pentax FA31Limited:$964.95USD, Canon 35L: $1349.95. And many users consider Pentax FA31 better than Canon 35L.

As to comparison in groups, see my previous post.

Last edited:
TS, in a way, I empathize with you on this. You had a pre-conceived thought on the pricing level of the Pentax lenses base on previous experience. But the new pricing level might have been a shock to the system for you.

I for one would have been happy too if the prices had remained as previous. But as the saying goes “the only constant is change”. The price hike is inevitable. Pentax / Hoya is a commercial organization that answers to shareholders that seeks to maximize the profit. The pricing levels were probably determined to achieve that. It will be same for C or N or S or any other alphabet.

If you feel so strongly about that, you should feedback with your wallet. Opt not to buy or switch to another system. A rant here might let off steam but achieve very little else.

Majority of the people here are satisfied Pentax users. Of course, everyone hopes that the lens can be cheaper. In the same way, we hope that cars or housing in Singapore can be cheaper as well. But this are determined by market forces beyond most of our control. The only choice is to choose whether or not to purchase or consume the product.

Unless there are major market upheavals, the prices are here to stay.

And I really wish Nikon actually has some pancake prime lenses that you pentaxians have access to...

Nikon got the 45mm f/2.8P... a little hard to find though...

45f28p.jpg

The FA35/2 is more or less discontinued, thus the higher price due to lack of stock.
The FA50/1.4 has a higher price tag because Pentax was selling them under valued before. But I do feel $590 for an FA50/1.4 is abit too high. Should be somewhere between 400 to 500. If Pentax sold FA50/1.4 for $490 all these years, you won't feel too much a shock when the price slightly climbed to $590.

If you think Pentax is suiciding because of these two lenses, I think you got it wrong. You can still take great photos w/o these two lenses, and there are a lot more offerings from Pentax other than these two.

I know the manual lens are cheap...It's tough not to have cheaper AF 35mm, 50mm and 85mm....
If the 50mm is S$590, and other primes higher priced than this... it's really above what I can afford already.....

The simple thing is - Pentax has underpriced its FA50mm f/1.4 lens in the past.

Probably, after a review of its business strategy, it decided to conduct a price adjustment, to bring this product to be in line with its competitors. ( I am not saying whether this strategy is right or wrong).

FW has also shown a price comparision of how various Pentax lens fared with the competition. The facts speak for themselves. It clearly shows that Pentax offers quality lens at lower prices than the competition. I do not understand where you get the information that the majority of Pentax lens are higher than the competition.

Various Pentaxians have agree that the price for the FA 50 is on the high side, but has also suggested alternatives. However you still choose to harp on this SINGLE issue of high price of the FA 50 / FA 35.

I am pretty sure that by now many would have read this thread and know your position on the pricing issue. Since this is going nowhere, may I suggests that this thread be CLOSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.