Is it safe to pack Lenses in check-in luggages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My most "kua zang"... I carried a stealth reporter 400 and a Compurover up the plane. Nowadays I just do make do with a normal haversack and the stealth reporter.

Things inside? 2x Laptops, 1digital body, 1 film body, 7 lenses.

i know I breach airline regulations on size and weight. but i've not encountered any problem before. in fact, come to think of it, i've never had any problem with such things when travelling as a civilian.

my advice to TS, since your things are quite portable, just hand-carry 'em in.

If you're tlaking about having to lug studio lighting gear overseas for a location shoot, then you got no choice but to check them in. Unless you're fortunate enough to find a place to rent them from at your destination.

TS asked if it is 'safe'. There are at least two important issue:

Safe from being stolen : If you are travelling to safe countrries (e.g. direct to Japan) then it is quite safe from being stolen. Bags goes through various hands and you might not know what can be taken from it in some destinattions.

Safe from being damage: A good luggage (hard case) and proper packing is absolutely necessary. I have travelled with my telephotos this way - too heavy to carry them. However be very careful as the bags gets extremely rough treatment. They coud be dropped from 10 ft (off the ramps for example) and exposed to extreme cold and heat (up at 35,000 ft and exposed to the sun when loading).

As most CS'ers here say, if you can, hand carry. However watch your hand carry carefully too. Many thefts at tourist locations.

Cheers and enjoy yur trip.

So far i have not try checking in my camera and laptop. Mostly is all hand carry them but the laptop have to be turn on for the custom to check at the boarding gate.

need to turn on meh? i know we need to take it out at the xray machine thats all. turning on is ridiculous. :thumbsd:

need to turn on meh? i know we need to take it out at the xray machine thats all. turning on is ridiculous. :thumbsd:

I guess this one depending on the alert level.....well....it sounds ridiculous but you just need one idiout to ignite the whole plane on inferno.....so no choice lor....my only complain is the boot up and shutdown speed of my XP is dang slow :sweat:

I guess this one depending on the alert level.....well....it sounds ridiculous but you just need one idiout to ignite the whole plane on inferno.....so no choice lor....my only complain is the boot up and shutdown speed of my XP is dang slow :sweat:

same here. i haven't encounter this yet from my few trips overseas this year so far. last trip was phuket last month. didnt need to turn it on.

A definate NO!!!!!! Wat if ur luggage got lost...... happened to my brother..... You reached your holiday destination with no lens and extra clothes.... but at least clothes, u can still buy off shelve but ur lens??!!!!!

no wonder they ask if i got a laptop, then i show them a tablet.. they let me go...

Johannesburg Int'l Airport by Nico Geldenhuys
18 May 2006

I now understand why we need to wrap our luggage when leaving the country: otherwise your belongings are stolen from your locked suitcase. After coming back to South-Africa, it was even worse to find out how many people I know who had stuff stolen from their luggage after booking it in. Don't they have camera's in the luggage handling areas? Coming back last week, the wait-time in the Customs que was only about 15 minutes. Thereafter I had to wait over 30 more minutes for my luggage to come onto the belt. After a 12 hour flight, this is really not lekka! I really hope someone at Customs, ACSA, 2010 Soccer and whoever else, will actually read all these comments and take action.

My most "kua zang"... I carried a stealth reporter 400 and a Compurover up the plane. Nowadays I just do make do with a normal haversack and the stealth reporter.

Things inside? 2x Laptops, 1digital body, 1 film body, 7 lenses.

i know I breach airline regulations on size and weight. but i've not encountered any problem before. in fact, come to think of it, i've never had any problem with such things when travelling as a civilian.

Actually most airlines would not want to bear the responsibility of the damage or loss of such equipment so they will allow you to bring them on board. Musical instruments are no exception, most of the musical instrument cases would not fit the stipulated dimensions of the hand carry luggage requirements anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.