Is dry cabinet necessary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ansel
Li Kuan, can you tell us where is MS color? May want to get another cab. Camera collection is growing.

Hi,

Try this link http://www.mscolor.com.sg, then go to news & promotion.

Main Outlet - Ang Mo Kio (Central)
Block 711 #01-3501C
Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8
Singapore 560711
Tel: (65) 6457 6380
Fax: (65) 6455 2695
Email : sales@mscolor.com.sg

Branches - Yishun (Beside Chong Pang CC)
Blk 102 #01-129
Yishun Ave 5,
Singapore 760102
Tel:(65) 6758 0538
Fax: (65) 6758 5778
Email: yishun@mscolor.com.sg

Thanks.

xihe,

1) Do you live in Singapore? If not which country?
2) Is the camera kept in an air-con room when it is not in use?

Of cos I live in sg. And the cam is kept in a cupboard, which got air-con on at night (not very cold, min 25 degrees)

I used to have a A20. After a year+, I got problem with the zoom button, doesn't work most of the time and the battery keep running out even when I fully charge the battery. I sent it to canon service centre and was told that the zoom and battery compartment contacts has oxidized. They fixed it for me (for $40++) and it works fine after that. I didn't keep the camera in any dry box or dry cabinet. I only put it in a container and kept it on my book shelves.

Chinchillas.... Nope... they dun.... After they chewed up the hamock I bought for them... they are not going to get any from now on.....

Squirrels can be bought in Singapore meh? I know Malaysia has.... dun think I saw any here before......

Originally posted by Xiao_shin
Read that some overseas user build one with light that is on 24 hours. This is to use UV light that stop/kill all fungus activity. Some uses UV light(black light). Anyone tried this method here?

the black light i suppose is InfraRed heater already. normally we use that for heating purposes. mayb only us, cos we manufacture them in high temperature. if you wan i can do a rather low watt 1 for you. hehe... control u get yourself... also come in translucent (quartz) or transparent (better quartz). can kill fungus in seconds & can burn your camera in minutes. :D :D

normal dry box i see are using mica heaters which i think mine also uses it. very low watt kind.

Originally posted by Xihe
Of cos I live in sg. And the cam is kept in a cupboard, which got air-con on at night (not very cold, min 25 degrees)

Ah...that explains it. The aircon kept the environment dry. I also suspect you live in the part of singapore that is not that humid(<70% most of the time), so your aircon at night routine probably is sufficient to keep your equipment fungus free. But that's an exception rather than the rule in singapore.

The reason I am so zealous about this dry cabi thing is because I am a camera lover and it really hurts me, I mean really really painful, to see good equipment (whether I owned it or not) ruined by bad storage. Ok, just to put it in another perspective, any fungus invested photo equipment, particularly lenses, have got almost zero value on the resale market. Clearer?

so my advice is :

(1) If you lack space or funds, go for the silica gel type non-electric dry boxes. Be sure to monitor the state of the silica gel on a regular basis like twice a month.
(2) Go for an electric dry cabinet for long term peace of mind.

Don't ever, ever leave your camera equipment in a humid environment, that, in Singapore's case, is any non-aircon environment for any prolonged period (>2 mths).
;)

Ah...that explains it. The aircon kept the environment dry. I also suspect you live in the part of singapore that is not that humid(<70% most of the time), so your aircon at night routine probably is sufficient to keep your equipment fungus free. But that's an exception rather than the rule in singapore.

The reason I am so zealous about this dry cabi thing is because I am a camera lover and it really hurts me, I mean really really painful, to see good equipment (whether I owned it or not) ruined by bad storage. Ok, just to put it in another perspective, any fungus invested photo equipment, particularly lenses, have got almost zero value on the resale market. Clearer?

so my advice is :

(1) If you lack space or funds, go for the silica gel type non-electric dry boxes. Be sure to monitor the state of the silica gel on a regular basis like twice a month.
(2) Go for an electric dry cabinet for long term peace of mind.

Don't ever, ever leave your camera equipment in a humid environment, that, in Singapore's case, is any non-aircon environment for any prolonged period (>2 mths).
;)

Well, I stay in tampines. I did tried keeping my cam in a dry box, but after that, the zoom would have strange and high pitched sound. The huminty level (as indicated on the hydrometer) in the dry box was 45%. So off I did with the dry box. Now there's no sound.

Originally posted by E1g3
Careful with the silica gel. When you pour it new into an airtight box, after a while it will turn blue because it absorbs moisture right? So if you don't forget to discard the gel, it is as good as putting 'water' in the airtight box. lagi worst..... get a humidifier

Where did you have this logic from? Just doesn't make sense! Don't scare people if you don't know how silicagel works......it holds water which means it will not give off water to the surrounding, leading to a drier environment. Too much can make the box too dry, but it will NOT give off water!!

You can also buy these little dry cabinets for around S$99 at the little shop diagonally from Carrefour. I was there yesterday, might be a better buy as you can store more things in it: e.g. your memory cards, other optics (spectacles etc.). Be careful though for the magnetic doors as they can erase your data on the memory cards.

Hong Sien

Is it necessary to keep camera body in the dry cabinet? I have a DSLR, will a too dry environment damage the component inside?

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
likuan

Originally posted by Koh Li Kuan
Is it necessary to keep camera body in the dry cabinet? I have a DSLR, will a too dry environment damage the component inside?

Of course you should! Don't forget the DSLR body has got a mirror (yes fungus will grow there) and the focusing screen and the eyepiece. OK these will not affect your photograph even if got fungus, but then, it will affect your viewing pleasure. Not sure if the CCD is susceptible to fungi attack though, I guess it probably is, and that's worse because it will show in your digital photos!!

I don't think the dryness of the dry box will affect your DSLR though. In fact I think dryness is good for it, if I go by typical electronic component logic.

Originally posted by chyeo
20% like too low leh... heard that the coating on the lenses might dry up?

:kok: no lah! the lubrication on the diaphragm dries up. then you will have difficult changing aperture, cos those diaphragm rubs against each other.

Originally posted by Xihe
Used to own a Canon A40, which I had for 2 years plus. Never used a dry box. Now, it's still working perfectly. No signs of fungus growing on it too. Aren't u all too paranoid?

Would you risk your $2500 lens if you have one? Beside the A40 is consumer grade and requires less maintenance actually.

well,

i put my SLR in a dry box manual type, and i have to change the gel every week, and then every three day after that, as the gel were not efficent,

i spent $500?

cleaning up my equipment,

work that out

i can buy a good high end electric dry box, with money to spare, or easily bought 3 decent ones, to place around my house....

work out the sums yourself,

if your equipment cost more than $1000, what is another $150 to protect it?

otherwise....

i wish u well,

everyone has been very kind here to convince everyone to buy the electtric dry box,

i am touch to see the goodness of human nature existing here....

my digi-cabi i-case humidity is around 30-40% is it ok.

lionelow said:
my digi-cabi i-case humidity is around 30-40% is it ok.

Wah....you resurrected a 1.5 year old thread.

I think 30%-40% is pretty normal in a dry cab. If you can control it to arround 40% it should be pretty ideal.

I put my cameras and lenses in air tight plastic container (TOYOGO boxes), and put Thirsty Hippo in it.

What Hippo?

OK, Thirsty Hippo is a kind of dehumidifier to absorb moistures. Usually placed in wardrobe or cabinets. Can get from your nearest supermarket or even mama shops.

Hey guys,

I've just purchase a dry box at carrefour plaza sing. While buying my box costing 29.90 that comes with a analog hydrometer... i also see other cabin like digi, vectron (dunno if its that spelling) Price for digi is 99 bucks for a 30L and 75 for vectron 20L all comes with a meter either digital or analog. very decent. haha.. if i have more cameras i would have purchase them...

check them out!! Just for your info

DSLR in a 19.90 dry box, SLR in a dry box too (for years already) with the Hungry Hippo type thingy (silica gel is great too, except when I spilled it once (or more) and had to clean up one bead at a time.. ;) now I blue tac the dessicant container to the dry box wall (want to be extra careful especially with the liquid dehumidifiers). No fungus.

I guess so long as the humidity is maintained low enough, it won't catch. Btw, both dry boxes have humidity meter (and I check once in a (long) while with an independent meter just to make sure that neither box meters have gone off)

Status
Not open for further replies.