Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

wrong. like giving it to me so i can keep it in my own dry cabinet:bsmilie:

har har nice try but no deuce!

Frankly, I have an old SLR (old news) and kept it in a dry box for almost ten years... took it out last month... guess what? Nice evenly spread fine gray patches across the entire viewfinder screen...

The thing is, can you even guarantee that you'll shoot VERY frequently? And define "very frequently" - is that once a day, once a week, once a month, or once hourly? I certainly can't.

It's your investment, you can burn it or protect it for all I care - I'm done being a nosey-parker! :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Its not a must. i throw away 2 lenses before i got my aipo dry cabinet. damage of lenses cost me $1000 aipo cost me 450. I coulda saved 550 but i chose to look the other way.

Have been talk about so many times...know is a must...so so for places so humid and promote fungus and spores to grow better.

A pcs of ~$100 DC for a pcs of ~$1000 equipment.

We all buy fridge to store food for the same reason...any F&B company question buying a freezer is a must to start a business.

I know,
either let air con in his room run 24/7/365
or install a dehumidifier in his room.

:D:D
Or follow what old folks do to keep medicine. Put in bottle and stuff with cotton wool :D

:D:D
Or follow what old folks do to keep medicine. Put in bottle and stuff with cotton wool :D

Or open the lens and stuff cotton wool.

That's the reason I would buy a filter for. But I only have a kit I lens now. And it's not really worth buying an expensive filter for the kit lens. A relatively cheap filter would be more appropriate. But I have read about the effects of having a kinda cheap filter. I'm not sure about those effects but I know for sure they are not good effects.

That's why I have not bought a filter for my current kit I lens. But I am very scared of knocking my lens against a sharp object too. What to do? Is there a relatively cheap filter that does not produce those negative effects caused by filters?

basically, diff lense serve diff purposes. UV usually for protection, but cheap ones may introduce flare. CPL and ND for getting the effects you need to reduce pp hours. so buy as you need it, when you need it, to use filter or not is subjective.

Last edited:
I got myself a silica gel from Daiso. Does it help in preventing fungus? Because all I know is that fungus grows because of humidity and thus the silica gel able to suck all of it. Enlighten me please.

I got myself a silica gel from Daiso. Does it help in preventing fungus? Because all I know is that fungus grows because of humidity and thus the silica gel able to suck all of it. Enlighten me please.

yes they can, but they can only suck so much. if they are full, they stop sucking. you then need to heat them up to dry them to work again. very troublesome and time comsuming.

Yeap, could be troublesome. But just a temporary measures for saving up money to buy a drybox, I think it's good enough.

Dry cabinet is a good to have but not a must have. So far air con is the best.

Dry cabinet is a good to have but not a must have. So far air con is the best.

:thumbsup: u meant u turned on ur aircon 24-7? Whoa apart from electrcity bill, there's still maintenance etc.. :bigeyes: think most cant tahan the strain to their pursestrings :bsmilie:

silica gel is not enough...you need to use it in a air tight dry box/ container...don't put your equipment in your drawer and throw that silica gel in. It won't work...coz it's absorbing the unlimited water vapour in the environment.. :)

my old film camera is still fungus free without a dry cabi
but that is mainly because i use it almost everyday

but now it is sitting in a dry cabi while i use my DSLR
still once in a while need to take it out for a spin

the main purpose of a dry cabi is to control the humidity of the air inside
this will prevent fungus from growing

there are other ways to control humidity but a dry cabi is still the most convenient way

good for you! :bsmilie: my room have no aricon, and even if i do i wont turn it on 24/7, i'll get heart attack from the electrical bill.

:thumbsup: u meant u turned on ur aircon 24-7? Whoa apart from electrcity bill, there's still maintenance etc.. :bigeyes: think most cant tahan the strain to their pursestrings :bsmilie:

No lar, air con not on 24/7 lar, the electrical bill will have outweight getting a dry cabinet :sweat:
All my MF gears are kept in the studio in a metal cabinet and the aircon is turn on when ever there is a shoot while my DSLR are kept at home in my cam bag and from time to time I move it into the bed roon where the aircon is on at night when we sleep. Touch wood, so far so good

the main purpose of a dry cabi is to control the humidity of the air inside
this will prevent fungus from growing

there are other ways to control humidity but a dry cabi is still the most convenient way

That's right, lens are already build to withstand a certain level of humidity and if the enviro.'s humidity is not too high, normal usage and keeping ( aircon room ) should be enough without the use of a dry cabinet.