Is a dry cabinet a MUST for storing my DSLR and lens?

Buy la. 1 dry cabinet is quite cheap as compared to the money you've invested in your DSLR gear. So it will be worthwhile, right?

Buy a filter for EVERY lens you have.What if you accidentely knock your lens onto a sharp object?Your lens will be spoilt.But with a filter,at least you only need to replace the filter.Not the lens:)

That's the reason I would buy a filter for. But I only have a kit I lens now. And it's not really worth buying an expensive filter for the kit lens. A relatively cheap filter would be more appropriate. But I have read about the effects of having a kinda cheap filter. I'm not sure about those effects but I know for sure they are not good effects.

That's why I have not bought a filter for my current kit I lens. But I am very scared of knocking my lens against a sharp object too. What to do? Is there a relatively cheap filter that does not produce those negative effects caused by filters?

Buy la. 1 dry cabinet is quite cheap as compared to the money you've invested in your DSLR gear. So it will be worthwhile, right?

Exactly. I think I'm getting one this Saturday itself.

WHY SO PROBLEM.....WHEN AT HOME DONT STORE OR LEAVE CAMERA AND LENS IN BAG. TAKE IT OUT AND KEEP ON SHELF AND IN COOL PLACE..WHEN GOING FOT FUNCTION THEN ONLY PUT IT IN BAG...BEEN A FOTOMAN 22 YRS....NEVER HAD A DRY CABINET AS I OFTEN HAVE A FAN BLOWING MY SHELF.....COOL RAJSINGH ANNMALAI in IPOH malaysia..be feel free to call 012-5887719:)

WHY SO PROBLEM.....WHEN AT HOME DONT STORE OR LEAVE CAMERA AND LENS IN BAG. TAKE IT OUT AND KEEP ON SHELF AND IN COOL PLACE..WHEN GOING FOT FUNCTION THEN ONLY PUT IT IN BAG...BEEN A FOTOMAN 22 YRS....NEVER HAD A DRY CABINET AS I OFTEN HAVE A FAN BLOWING MY SHELF.....COOL RAJSINGH ANNMALAI in IPOH malaysia..be feel free to call 012-5887719:)

Thanks for the input. :) Can you tell me why I shouldn't keep my camera and lens in a bag at home?

Buy a filter for EVERY lens you have.What if you accidentely knock your lens onto a sharp object?Your lens will be spoilt.But with a filter,at least you only need to replace the filter.Not the lens:)

lol, the gaps between lens and filter is quite small.. if you knocked the sharp object too hard.. your filter + lens will be spoilt too..

That's the reason I would buy a filter for. But I only have a kit I lens now. And it's not really worth buying an expensive filter for the kit lens. A relatively cheap filter would be more appropriate. But I have read about the effects of having a kinda cheap filter. I'm not sure about those effects but I know for sure they are not good effects.

That's why I have not bought a filter for my current kit I lens. But I am very scared of knocking my lens against a sharp object too. What to do? Is there a relatively cheap filter that does not produce those negative effects caused by filters?

Just get a Hoya/Kenko or Tokina can already.For a start,try memorieslink in mass sales.He has Kenko ones:)

if you shoot everyday, then no need for a dry cabinet, imo. I leave my lenses hanging around anyway, because these are cheap. haha. but I do have a dry box. lol.

just curious, were you suppose to start this with letter "F"?:bsmilie:

Eh, TS, I think some will say not necessary to have a dry cabinet...but I just have this feeling that 98% of CSer put their gear in dry cabinet/box etc...the rest of the 2% either just started or still looking for answer like you do:D

Me thinks allenleonesshart is speaking a dialect of Kurdish... Kurdish "F" word starts with the letter "T"... :bsmilie:

Well, Dry cabinet is a must (at least you can go to sleep with ease...) Otherwise, you'll be up all night checking if tiny madmartians have landed on your lens glass to start a colony or two... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Bought a dry cabinet last week.
All my lenses have filters.

Guess im good to go. :thumbsup:;)

Attach UV filters at all cost. You wouldn't want to learn your lesson the hard way, would you?

I attended a workshop under Julian W. 2 years ago and he said that before buying your second lens, buy a dry cabinet first because it will save you a lot of worries. I stuck with it.

If you think a dry cabinet is a bit out of your budget, why not opt for a dry box? It costs around $25 at John 3:16 and MSColor. After that, get yourself a couple of bottles of silica gel ($4+/-), and that's it.:)

Me thinks allenleonesshart is speaking a dialect of Kurdish... Kurdish "F" word starts with the letter "T"... :bsmilie:

Well, Dry cabinet is a must (at least you can go to sleep with ease...) Otherwise, you'll be up all night checking if tiny madmartians have landed on your lens glass to start a colony or two... :bsmilie:

yup, spend some money to put yourself at ease is the same as seeing doctor...cannot save this kinda money;p

just curious, were you suppose to start this with letter "F"?:bsmilie:

Eh, TS, I think some will say not necessary to have a dry cabinet...but I just have this feeling that 98% of CSer put their gear in dry cabinet/box etc...the rest of the 2% either just started or still looking for answer like you do:D
:thumbsup: i have to agree.

I bought my 1st DSLR, a 550D, exactly 2 months ago (on 3rd

Is a dry cabinet REALLY necessary to store my DSLR and lens?

since you ask it like this, the answer is simple: NO... there are a few other options besides getting a dry cabinet

Thanks for the input. :) Can you tell me why I shouldn't keep my camera and lens in a bag at home?

well. i got a yashica rangefinder. my dad did wad the fotoman for 22 years said. it grew fungus. wanna see?:cool:

really? LOL hahaha its ex gf. sad sad:cry: