IPOS Links on Copyright - Essential for Photographers to understand their rights

vince123123 said:
Yes agreed, thats why I was making my initial comment to your post:

"The final conclusion is that for all of these copyrights and individual rights enquiries, you have to engage a lawyer trained in these areas. Or contact IPOS to consult them."

I don't really think there is an "or" here.

Sorry, I think I might have not phrased properly.

dawgbyte77 said:
If the photo was taken in public without breaking any law (i.e. obscene), you do not have a claim for it anymore. Engaging a lawyer will not help, either the lawyer will turn you down or will just take your money. Have you spoken to the photographer instead? Just to clear some issue, I am not siding with the photographer and strongly do not agree with his ethics.

That was what I learned.

I have tried emailing the photographer without any replies.

If I am a handsome guy I wouldn't mind people taking pictures of me, but when a number of people commented that I looked ugly, I don't want my pictures taken lor. I looked myself in the mirror also ugly.

Whilst I am ok with sharing my shots with ppl, I'm not ok if they take it and print it without my explicit permission (unless I feel like it den I do free job. Dat's me).

Heck with what IPOS and stuff. Those are meant to create more and more silly lawsuits and lawyers will luff their way to banks.

These days, I just solve the problem by rendering prints unprintable. 72dpi, watermark and reducing the original photo size to as low as 40 or even 30% of the original size is enuff for viewing, yet its not enuff for prints. If the guy is shameless enuff to print it for sale, he can go ahead. Just dun lemme catch u with it. ;)

Well, what if they just use it online? :p

jsbn said:
Whilst I am ok with sharing my shots with ppl, I'm not ok if they take it and print it without my explicit permission (unless I feel like it den I do free job. Dat's me).

Heck with what IPOS and stuff. Those are meant to create more and more silly lawsuits and lawyers will luff their way to banks.

These days, I just solve the problem by rendering prints unprintable. 72dpi, watermark and reducing the original photo size to as low as 40 or even 30% of the original size is enuff for viewing, yet its not enuff for prints. If the guy is shameless enuff to print it for sale, he can go ahead. Just dun lemme catch u with it. ;)

xray said:
I think copyright is a selfish way of doing things. But it's essential for making money.

In my opinion, I'll allow people to use my some of my photographs and even sell them, but give me credit for the photo. If they place it on their website, then they have to allow others to copy my photo like what they had done.

On contrary, if I took some photos for business use, I would not even think of making it free. Think in the shoes of those who have to live on their photo earnings. If you did not protect your photos, they would be freely avaliable and worth nothing.

That's why I like the Open-initiative - allows people to share stuff fairly, but I don't apply it to all my works.

Copyright (and I extend this to patents) are essential protections to creativity. I spend ten years creating and perfecting the best car engine, and say Mercedes takes my design and mass produces it without paying me and my potential income, now how is that? I should just not have wasted my time and creativity to put money in other people's pockets. It is not only the R&D cost, it is also the potential income that follows! Imagine, R&D $1million, Sales $10million profit, total $11million. Even if Merc paid the $1million for R&D, it wont be enough.

Similarly, for photos, and other art-work (books, designs, graphics, videos, etc), to encourage creativity and to protect the creator, copyright is necessary. Similarly, cost of 1 photo = $25,000 (assuming new 1Ds with L lens and powerful lighting, post processing and prints). Sold to Donald Trump to wrap up Trump Tower as a publicity banner = $150,000. so the whole worth of that 1 photo is $175,000 (that is the 1Ds does nothing else :)). You won't be giving it away free, right?

vince123123 said:
Well in that case those laws will not be relevant to you correct? Its to avail those who wish to protect their works of legal recourse in event of infringing use.

If you're wellsprited enough to share your photographs for free, why should you scorn the legal system who protects those who wish to avail themselves of protection?

I venture to suggest that a possible reason why such a statement is made is because one intends to use other pple's photographs (ie those who are glad for the existence of such laws) without having to pay them for it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Generally, the person who created the work (i.e. the author) owns the copyright in the work. However, there are exceptions to this general rule. Some exceptions are:

Employment: If the work is created by an employee in the course of his work as an employee, in pursuance of the term of employment, the employer owns the copyright in the work.

Commissioning: If the painting/portrait/photograph/engraving of a person is commissioned by another party, the commissioning party owns the copyright in the work. For other commissioned works, ownership rests in the commissioned party who created the work although the copyright may be transferred or assigned as established by the contract between the commissioner and commissioned party.

The owner of the copyright may assign his rights to another party or entity. He may assign his rights partially or license his rights in a manner of his choice. The separate rights given under copyright (e.g. right of reproduction) can also be assigned separately from other rights.

Special situations for certain professions:

Journalist or writer: In the course of employment as a journalist or writer for a newspaper, magazine or periodical OR under a contract of service or apprenticeship, the proprietor of the newspaper, magazine or periodical owns the copyright for the purpose of publication or reproduction in the newspaper, magazine or periodical.

Photographer or artist
: If a photographer is engaged to take a photograph of a person or an artist is engaged to draw a portrait of a person, that person owns the copyright.

dawgbyte77 said:
If the photo was taken in public without breaking any law (i.e. obscene), you do not have a claim for it anymore. Engaging a lawyer will not help, either the lawyer will turn you down or will just take your money. Have you spoken to the photographer instead? Just to clear some issue, I am not siding with the photographer and strongly do not agree with his ethics.

So if then the shot is take in public, cannot claim
But if shot in public then posted on the net? Can claim or not?:think:

Doesn't make a difference whether its posted on the net or not.

Andy Ang said:
So if then the shot is take in public, cannot claim
But if shot in public then posted on the net? Can claim or not?:think:

Do read the contract or terms of agreement before pursuing any freelance or professional job. Dont assume anything. Having it written on paper and signed off by both parties is a good start. Most people dont know anything about this. The law is as crazy as the people preaching about it.

i'm support photopurist. Hate those copyright stuff.

I also hate locks and keys - could you give me the key to your house so I can go in and help myself to your assets?

babyhee said:
i'm support photopurist. Hate those copyright stuff.

i'm in it for the love of photography, love the process but spare me the legal rights stuff.
By the to all people, you are free to use my photo stock and studio.

vince123123 said:
I also hate locks and keys - could you give me the key to your house so I can go in and help myself to your assets?

no problem, you are most welcome. If only you can get past my killers dog who sniff out people who take advantage of others.

I hate dogs too, can you remove them so I can go in and help myself to your assets.

Speaking of taking advantage, isn't someone who ahbors copyright, taking advantage of using what the author has created for free?

babyhee said:
no problem, you are most welcome. If only you can get past my killers dog who sniff out people who take advantage of others.

Could you provide us to a link to your stock photos and studio location? I'm sure all of us love to have a studio FOC and free photographs to sell as stock as well. Thanks.

babyhee said:
i'm in it for the love of photography, love the process but spare me the legal rights stuff.
By the to all people, you are free to use my photo stock and studio.

felixcat8888 said:
Looks like PhotoPurist has gone hiding.....:D

No more replies.....

he's not hiding, just that it's useless to talk to useless fools like you guys.