Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna upgrade my PC recently as well.. did some research, any comments or advices from the experts on the following recipe?

Intel E8400
MSI P35 Neo2 FR
Corsair DDR2 667 2GB x 4pcs
Seagate 500GB 9200.11 32MB
ASUS EAH3870 512MB
Samsung SATA 20X DVDRW
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650W
Coolermaster Centurion 5

:D

Intend to add 2nd HDD in a few months time & get VISTA as well after the release of service pack 1a.. at the moment install XP first.. heard that it's easier to do dual boot this way..

Ahh.. forget to add that me not going to do any overclocking so decide to go for the cheaper DDR2 667 rams.. I super kia si & like my system steady steady cool cool no surprises.. haha..

To TS, I found this review, think the E8000 series did pretty good job in PS CS3 :D

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/dualcore-shootout_7.html#sect0

I wanna upgrade my PC recently as well.. did some research, any comments or advices from the experts on the following recipe?

Intel E8400
MSI P35 Neo2 FR
ASUS EAH3870 512MB
Samsung SATA 20X DVDRW
Coolermaster Centurion 5

Intend to add 2nd HDD in a few months time & get VISTA as well after the release of service pack 1a.. at the moment install XP first.. heard that it's easier to do dual boot this way..

Ahh.. forget to add that me not going to do any overclocking so decide to go for the cheaper DDR2 667 rams.. I super kia si & like my system steady steady cool cool no surprises.. haha..

To TS, I found this review, think the E8000 series did pretty good job in PS CS3 :D

u very onz... 8gb 667... anyway, darn cheap...

btw seagate 1 is 7200.11, with firmware SD15... i have 3 of it in my system... shiok...

Intel E8400
MSI P35 Neo2 FR
ASUS EAH3870 512MB
Samsung SATA 20X DVDRW
Coolermaster Centurion 5

Not much of a diff from the DDR2 800 Rams unless you go one step to 1066 or the DDR3. If possible try to get ECC Rams(if you can find it in the market) which are a little bit more stable. 8GB of DDR2-667 will do the job smoothly.

btw seagate 1 is 7200.11, with firmware SD15... i have 3 of it in my system... shiok...

Good setup but pls take note "normal" XP or Vista will not use more than 4Gb of the Rams.

Only 64bit Win XP or Vista can use those 8Gb Ram.

Got to do with 32bit and 64bit thingy.

Prices of RAM is picking up, must buy fast fast.. unless aiming to get the DDR3..

Check prices yesterday, kingston DDR667 2GB now selling for $75 each at Fuwell, up from $69 last friday.. :sweat:

Does firmware SD15 come with the package or need to download? make any diff?
Did u do RAID for the 7200.11 btw? :D

Sad.. didnt know abt that :cry:

Are there any critical issues to take note for adopting the 64bit version?

Can existing program and software run in the 64 bit windows..?

Good setup but pls take note "normal" XP or Vista will not use more than 4Gb of the Rams.

Only 64bit Win XP or Vista can use those 8Gb Ram.

Got to do with 32bit and 64bit thingy.

Not much of a diff from the DDR2 800 Rams unless you go one step to 1066 or the DDR3. If possible try to get ECC Rams(if you can find it in the market) which are a little bit more stable. 8GB of DDR2-667 will do the job smoothly.

Would XP be able to detect all 8 gigs? When I got my E6600 with XP and 4 gigs ram, windows could only read 3 gigs odd. Googled it and seemed like a common thingie.

Sad.. didnt know abt that :cry:

Are there any critical issues to take note for adopting the 64bit version?

Can existing program and software run in the 64 bit windows..?

There is only very few programs that cannot run on XP 64bit. Not too sure about Vista 64bit though.

Still I manage to get around on the net looking for alternative. Normally iTunes (the latest ones) cannot run 64bit but the older versions are still able to run it. So far I am quite happy using a XP 64bit as it runs most programs that I need to use for work. I have install and tried and tested on some of the games. And it work smoothly without a hitch.

Go check out this website and it will answer some questions. If you have someone who knows how to fine tune and configure (some small basic steps which you will learn along the way) will help you more.

http://www.planetamd64.com/

Thanks. Just that i can't seem to find it in SLS. And shops online don't seem to wanna ship here.

There is only ONE and only shop that sells XP 64bit in SLS. Try again. I can't recall which floor as I was looking for it just 2 weeks ago for my friend.

Vista 64 works just fine... and I feel its much more stable than XP... as for software, have not found probs with my work software (CS3, Office, Capture One 4) or with some of the few games I have tried so far (just dug out and played through my MW4 collection... not exactly the newest game around ;p)... there probably are some games that may not work well, but the newer ones should not have a prob...

Status
Not open for further replies.