In the name of "Portfolio Building"

Yes, when you are in any trade, you hope the trade is healthy will flourish, and you will do your parts to help to make it better, it is your duty and responsibility.

you simply can't just take and not giving it back. this is selfish isn't it?

and when somebody do not show any respect of the trade, or anyone in the trade, do you really think this somebody deserve any respects from the people in the trade?

Yes, when you are in any trade, you hope the trade is healthy will flourish, and you will do your parts to help to make it better, it is your duty and responsibility.

you simply can't just take and not giving it back. this is selfish isn't it?

and when somebody do not show any respect of the trade, or anyone in the trade, do you really think this somebody deserve any respects from the people in the trade?

Haha...

Well, unfortunately this society works like this... (I am generalizing here)

If you don't do well, people laugh at you
If you do the same level with your peers, you are consider the "herd"
If you are doing extremely well, you might get unwanted attention and to certain extend people bad-mouth you.

It is sad, but it seems to be the typical "society" thing...

Sometimes it is worth just be quiet regardless what people say about you, as the truth is always come out at the end.

This explains why there are many successful photographers who rather quiet and not saying much, it's not that they don't want to help, but the community at large don't help themselves to encourage successful photographer to offer their help.

Anyway, I am writing an article on my blog but it is currently password protected, it should give people who wanted to do photography full time some starting point. The article will be release once I am done with it. I am cutting down on the free biz talk, not that I don't want to help but the more I do, the more people take it for granted.

Regards,

Hart

Haha...

Well, unfortunately this society works like this... (I am generalizing here)

If you don't do well, people laugh at you
If you do the same level with your peers, you are consider the "herd"
If you are doing extremely well, you might get unwanted attention and to certain extend people bad-mouth you.

It is sad, but it seems to be the typical "society" thing...

Sometimes it is worth just be quiet regardless what people say about you, as the truth is always come out at the end.

This explains why there are many successful photographers who rather quiet and not saying much, it's not that they don't want to help, but the community at large don't help themselves to encourage successful photographer to offer their help.

Anyway, I am writing an article on my blog but it is currently password protected, it should give people who wanted to do photography full time some starting point. The article will be release once I am done with it. I am cutting down on the free biz talk, not that I don't want to help but the more I do, the more people take it for granted.

Regards,

Hart

A bit OT:
Some people bad-mouth their competitor to get business. Some are just simply insecure

at time I check out some photographers' websites, to see what kinds of things they do.

and find it is rather amusing, for the services they provide, and the works they showcasing is totally different.

these are the basic principle for portfolio showcasing,

#1, be yourself, show only your own work.
the worst thing you can do to yourself is taking other people works and claim as yours.
you are deceiving yourself and others, you have no integrity and please don't call yourself a photographer.

#2, be selective, show only the best work.
average customers will spend less than 5 sec viewing your portfolio, so if your works don't impress them or get their attention with the first few images, they will just leave your site and move on.

#3, be honest, show the works is within your ability.
are these works you showing is done by you solely? can you do the same thing without any help?
I've seen people showcasing work done from workshops they attended, technically this is not their work, they just push the button.
what if customers asking for the same thing, can the photographer deliver?

#4, be relevant, show only the things you want to do.
customers will look for photos that match their expectation, eg, if they are looking for somebody to take photos of kids birthday party or ROM, they won't be interested to see photos of Thaipusam, sexy XMM in swimsuit, fashion show at the mall, dogs/cats or birds, bicycle at the back alley, garden by the bay... etc

at time I check out some photographers' websites, to see what kinds of things they do.

and find it is rather amusing, for the services they provide, and the works they showcasing is totally different.

the worst thing you can do to yourself is taking other people works and claim as yours.
you are deceiving yourself and others, you have no integrity and please don't call yourself a photographer.

average customers will spend less than 5 sec viewing your portfolio, so if your works don't impress them or get their attention with the first few images, they will just leave your site and move on.

are these works you showing is done by you solely? can you do the same thing without any help?
I've seen people showcasing work done from workshops they attended, technically this is not their work, they just push the button.

customers will look for photos that match their expectation, eg, if they are looking for somebody to take photos of kids birthday party or ROM, they won't be interested to see photos of Thaipusam, sexy XMM in swimsuit, fashion show at the mall, dogs/cats or birds, bicycle at the back alley, garden by the bay... etc

This post should be a sticky.

I'm shocked when I read page 1 seeing people willing to take up a cheapo assignment. This thread is educational and should serve as a warning to beginners to paid photography. Yes, should be a sticky, although I'm not too sure if those who should be reading this even bothers to read stickies.

i have seen people submitting images from workshop to competition

i am shocked and all competitions should restrict participants from submitting images from workshop