how to make a picture sharper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i tink u might b rite wif the underexposure part. to get min DOF (blur b/g) i used max zoom and opened the aperture to say f3.5...dat cuts down on light entering the sensor doesn't it so hv to compensate by for it...
:confused:
eh I think you got the concept wrong... you say you opened up the aperture, that should let more light in...

eh I think you got the concept wrong... you say you opened up the aperture, that should let more light in...

well he got the dof part rite....

to flyingmuffyn:
a BIGGER f-stop number, like 16-22, results in a SMALLER aperture hole, which creates a GREATER DOF but lets LESS LIGHT in, so u have to INCREASE shutter speed or bump up ISO to compensate.

and vice versa...

so considering u wanted a shallow depth of field, which can be seen in the pic u posted, u would have already used a very big aperture (or small f-stop). Since it's still underexposed, the only other way would be to either use a higher ISO or increase exposure time (slow down shutter speed)...

AND

zoom won't have any effect on the amount of light... and don't blame the kit lens. it's not that bad.. really.. ur dof is just so shallow, that u are blurring everything that is just in front/behind ur plane of focus.. that's y it seems so bad.. u need to stop down ur lens when u shoot...

yup i suppose dats the prob. i used too big an aperture to get dat blur b/g effect....but hor, i hv taken pics on P mode and still the sharpness is still not there leh...perhaps its time to get rid of the kit lens?:confused:

P-mode does not guarantee anything if the lighting is not good either. Get your basics right then you can try to put in the sRealav2 curve to improve the contrast a little. D70/s is known to underexpose a little bit. The kit lens is not the sharpest lens but I think it is be ok. Don't forget that when you view at 100% on the screen it's equivalent to blowing up the image to about 30" x 20". Even with film, that would be the kind of sharpness you'll be getting anyway.

well he got the dof part rite....

to flyingmuffyn:
a BIGGER f-stop number, like 16-22, results in a SMALLER aperture hole, which creates a GREATER DOF but lets LESS LIGHT in, so u have to INCREASE shutter speed or bump up ISO to compensate.

and vice versa...

so considering u wanted a shallow depth of field, which can be seen in the pic u posted, u would have already used a very big aperture (or small f-stop). Since it's still underexposed, the only other way would be to either use a higher ISO or increase exposure time (slow down shutter speed)...

AND

zoom won't have any effect on the amount of light... and don't blame the kit lens. it's not that bad.. really.. ur dof is just so shallow, that u are blurring everything that is just in front/behind ur plane of focus.. that's y it seems so bad.. u need to stop down ur lens when u shoot...

oh juz read my sentence again and realized i may hv been misunderstood:bsmilie: yah lah frm the way i say it, opened the aperture max and still not enuff exposure makes it seem alittle illogical hor...

i read somewhere dat using max zoom cuts the amt of light dat enters the sensor. and since i hv already opened max aperture, u r perhaps rite to say i shld use either higher ISO or perhaps a longer shutter speed to be hand-held comfortably.

P-mode does not guarantee anything if the lighting is not good either. Get your basics right then you can try to put in the sRealav2 curve to improve the contrast a little. D70/s is known to underexpose a little bit. The kit lens is not the sharpest lens but I think it is be ok. Don't forget that when you view at 100% on the screen it's equivalent to blowing up the image to about 30" x 20". Even with film, that would be the kind of sharpness you'll be getting anyway.

i noe. P-mode is not a magic mode. Wat i m trying to say is, even when i dun play ard wif the aperture and zooms and juz take normal pics in ok light, the pictures still come out alittle soft. infact quite soft. so i dunno if its a matter of inherent underexposure in the D70/S dat makes ur images appear unsharp when actually they are...hmmm...:confused:

i noe. P-mode is not a magic mode. Wat i m trying to say is, even when i dun play ard wif the aperture and zooms and juz take normal pics in ok light, the pictures still come out alittle soft. infact quite soft. so i dunno if its a matter of inherent underexposure in the D70/S dat makes ur images appear unsharp when actually they are...hmmm...:confused:
I dono about sharpness from the pic(too small to judge), but it seems you are talking more about contrast and vibrancy rather than sharpness.. :dunno:

I dono about sharpness from the pic(too small to judge), but it seems you are talking more about contrast and vibrancy rather than sharpness.. :dunno:

yeah.. u should give us a 100% crop at the point where u focused on before we can decide if it's sharp.
assuming that it is sharp, then, like i said before, it just means there's too little dof to make it feel like the flower was in focus..

Yes, lack of contrast does give an impression that the image is not sharp when in fact it is. Conversely, if an image is not sharp, increasing the contrast may give an impression that it is sharp. This is the reason why the images from most digital PnS appears to be sharp when it's only the contrast and saturation that has been increased.

Status
Not open for further replies.