How to get a balanced DSLR set below $1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
a retro E410 with 14-42 at 1200...:)

really thanks to all, a lot of sencere and experienced users here!
I am seriously thinking of getting a D70s, hopefully a cheap second hand... any more good advice or reminders?

anyway to cut the long story short, i recommend you get a d70 with a 50mm f1.8 to start off. if not get the kit lens, either the 18-55mm which cost about $130 2nd hand of you have alittle more money, get the 18-135mm which is the D80 kit lens.

i think a more versatile lens wud be a better option, d80's kit lens wud be good or the default 18/70 (if im nt wrong) d70s kit lens also good. my 2 cents. :sticktong

now 1.8k only meah? umm.. i thought i saw 2.2k the other day.

Camera prices vary greatly depending on where you go. Superstores like Harvey Norman will adhere more strictly to MSRPs, stores that cater to tourists such as the ones outside Lucky Plaza will probably rip you off, and the lesser known ones, and more tucked away such as Cathay Photo, will tend to give you a much better price if you call/email for a quote beforehand (i.e, not a walk-in customer who happened to pass by and felt like buying something)

Hi experts, I plan to get my first DLSR, but only got budget ard $1300, should i aim for those Kit set, like D40X, D80 and 400D? I am afraid that without buying good lens I may not able to exploit the best out of those excellent DSLRs... therefore, should I use like $500-$700 (like second hand D70s or D50) to get a not so hot DSLR and spend the rest on a hot lens (like tampron 17-55 F2.8)? really need you advice, thanks so much

a second hand D70s and D50 should be around $700-900, not $500-700. minus off the kit lens, maybe deduct $75-100. if you are looking at that range, you need to look at something like D70 or older than that

at a budget, the first thing to cut down on is unrealistic expectation, and next is to make allowance for accessories. i would advice you to consider a second hand DSLR and spend evenly among the accessories. dun worry about the good lens, get it later when you know what you need. some ppl need the focal length range more than the quality and the max aperture, and that only comes after you have some experience with what you already have and are short of.

This is my recommendation:

1. Get D40X, D70s, D80 or whatever body 2nd hand, since technology moves so fast, buying brand new makes little sense if you're on a tight budget. ($600-$1000)

2. Borrow a spare lens from your friends!

i think a more versatile lens wud be a better option, d80's kit lens wud be good or the default 18/70 (if im nt wrong) d70s kit lens also good. my 2 cents. :sticktong

well, it kinda boils down to $$. i just got myself a 18-55mm today. i felt it was the best option for me on the cheap. i would have loved the 18-135mm but i dont think i can afford it being 3 times more expensive. with the money spent on a 18-135mm i can get a 18-55mm and a 55-200mm with a $100 to spare. i would actually go for the 18-55mm with a sigma 70-300mm as im hoping to do macros with it.

i felt that i want the 18-55mm solely for taking wide angle shots as i didnt find a 18mm lens cheaper.

get 400d body and sigma 18-200mm lens...or get 80d body and sigma 18-200mm lens...

dont get 2nd hand...brand new...feeling is different man...

everyone holds different view, very interesting:) difficult for newbie to follow though... It really comes down to the point that I should borrow some SLRs to feel it or simply put in more money to get the best D80...:D

i think it really boils down to what do you honestly think of yourself and your interest in photography.

for example, I knew I can lose interest in things very fast and I really wasn't so sure about photography except that I liked it 2+ years ago. I bought a 2nd hand Panasonic FZ10 (prosumer 12x zoom + Image stabiliser + leica f2.8 lens) at about $600 then. I figured if I lose interest, I'll just sell it off and lose say 100-200 bucks. Which is fine with me for the experience and photos taken.

After 1+ year, I outgrew my fz10 and all it's manual functions + iso, but did not outgrow my interest for photography. At that time, I sold the fz10 (lost about $200), and bought a 2nd hand d70. 6 months later I bought my 70-300mm Sigma to shoot zoo animals, macro and it makes a nice portraiture lens too(throwing most surroundings in blur at 200-300mm wide open aperture). it wasn't until a year later that I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Yah you get a little richer along the way as you scrimp and save. Delayed gratification and working towards these "goals" is part of the pain and more so part of the pleasure when you "arrive".

After a long, story i think what I'm trying to say is you have to be honest with yourself if you are someone who doesn't do things out of sudden passion and will fizzle out later. If that is the kind of person you are, get a good camera + lens.

If you're not sure, a 2nd d70 + 18-70mm kit lens at about $800+ is more then enough to last you a while as you learn the basics of photography. If you feel that photography sucks 6months- 1year later.. sell off the d70 + lens at $600, you just lose about $200 max for a really good 1 year with a good DSLR taking nice pictures and more importantly you learned that it's not your cup of tea at a cheap price.

i think it really boils down to what do you honestly think of yourself and your interest in photography.

for example, I knew I can lose interest in things very fast and I really wasn't so sure about photography except that I liked it 2+ years ago. I bought a 2nd hand Panasonic FZ10 (prosumer 12x zoom + Image stabiliser + leica f2.8 lens) at about $600 then. I figured if I lose interest, I'll just sell it off and lose say 100-200 bucks. Which is fine with me for the experience and photos taken.

After 1+ year, I outgrew my fz10 and all it's manual functions + iso, but did not outgrow my interest for photography. At that time, I sold the fz10 (lost about $200), and bought a 2nd hand d70. 6 months later I bought my 70-300mm Sigma to shoot zoo animals, macro and it makes a nice portraiture lens too(throwing most surroundings in blur at 200-300mm wide open aperture). it wasn't until a year later that I bought a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8. Yah you get a little richer along the way as you scrimp and save. Delayed gratification and working towards these "goals" is part of the pain and more so part of the pleasure when you "arrive".

After a long, story i think what I'm trying to say is you have to be honest with yourself if you are someone who doesn't do things out of sudden passion and will fizzle out later. If that is the kind of person you are, get a good camera + lens.

If you're not sure, a 2nd d70 + 18-70mm kit lens at about $800+ is more then enough to last you a while as you learn the basics of photography. If you feel that photography sucks 6months- 1year later.. sell off the d70 + lens at $600, you just lose about $200 max for a really good 1 year with a good DSLR taking nice pictures and more importantly you learned that it's not your cup of tea at a cheap price.

Hi quinton,
There is no better words to express my gratitude, you really speak right to my heart!
really appreciate that you could share with me your story and some really frank thougts. Thanks so much!!!
I probably wont lose interest, because i have been enjoy using compact sony DC to tak pictures for many years. But i am afraid i will not have so much time for it later on, do all the study and research... i will start with basic second hand !

May be can consider 2nd hand 20d ~ 1050 and tamron 17.50 2.8 new for 630. 350d or 400d also not bad.

Don't buy d40x or d40. You will regret by the choice of lens.

Why?? Thought d40x has improved from the d40.

Why?? Thought d40x has improved from the d40.

Higher megapixels and that's about it. You're still stuck with being forced to buy the more expensive AF-S or AF-I lenses if you want autofocus.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: heh heh.... all the recommendations for Pentax are largely ignored... die lah Pentax like this...

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: heh heh.... all the recommendations for Pentax are largely ignored... die lah Pentax like this...

Which is good, so that the Pentaxians can continue to enjoy relatively cheaper prices and feel some sense of exclusivity. =D:sticktong

Hi Michael, faced the same issue a few months ago when I moved into the dslr domain. Hmmmm...it is confusing yes. Try out a few options, ur comfort is most important! I had decided to buy the canon system but when i actually handled a few at the shop my hands & heart just fell in love with the nikon systems instead. So i just saved a few months, spoke to a few people, and finally bought a d80 from a very nice & kind CS'er. I have since then collected some lenses but mainly using the kit lens as the d80 kit lens 18-135mm is considered one of the best kit lenses going. Just bought a SB800 now to improve my lighting and a crumpler bag and wow...this journey just goes on and on... :)

In summary if i were to cap it two lines my response to your query would be:
A) yes, do try & put in some extra $$$ for a good cam at the start, no need to look back then for 1-2yrs (unless you are compulsive buyer!!) :)
B) if not the above A) then at least buy good lenses, it's all in the lens and these do not depreciate so much over time, they have good longetivity.

Cheers mate! Do let us know what you finally decided to go for... :D

Hi quinton,
There is no better words to express my gratitude, you really speak right to my heart!
really appreciate that you could share with me your story and some really frank thougts. Thanks so much!!!
I probably wont lose interest, because i have been enjoy using compact sony DC to tak pictures for many years. But i am afraid i will not have so much time for it later on, do all the study and research... i will start with basic second hand !

You're welcome. Most threads like this are bombarded by a lot of technical and price replies. We also get a lot of replies that will recommend or disapprove of cameras without providing much information why. But I feel that it's more then just what camera and system you get, its also about how you see your passion for photography.

I believe that when we're really interested in something, we'll make time for it. That's what I tell myself when I'm not shooting enough or for whatever other pursuits I have (haha and I often find myself in such situations).

Actually, a lot of "study and research" (if you are talking about lenses and cameras) is mostly for people who are more interested in gadgets then photography. Once you've settled in on a relatively good digital system like the EOS 350D, Nikon D70 or even Sony Alpha 100. It's all about shooting and experimentation. Getting a good basic photography book and try out all the apertures, shutter speeds, ISO, white balance settings. Choosing a range of subjects to shoot. Asking yourself, what you like to shoot and how you like to shoot them. I find myself with so many questions to ask myself and so many new things to try out as a beginner with my D70 (though I bought 2nd hand that came with a 24-120 Nikon VR lens) that could last me a loooong while. I have not found myself limited by my camera, except for my skills and eye for aesthetics. of course, like most I long for a d200 or S5 pro, but I can hardly justify why my d70 cannot do what I want it to do that only the D200 can. I foresee my D70 remaining to serve me well for a long while, until my wallets are so fat that its a reason for my to "upgrade". hahaha :p

The greatest reason i chose my D70 then compared to others was to do with the whole physical design and layout of the camera. It was bigger, sturdier and had things like dual dials that made me think this camera body was well thought out. I liked to hold it and shoot with it.

The D70 is still more then capable of shooting beautiful pictures up to A3 size with noise levels acceptable on print. As for everything else concerning taking beautiful photography, it's entirely how the photographer brings the elements together to produce an photo that tells a message or story.

I wish you well in getting a camera, that you can soon get over and into the process of photography. ;)

i do hope to see more parties in the game. i think pentax has its strength.

it has gd medium format and a gd history
the DSLR is cheap and small
backward compatibility to manual lens via adaptor makes film users interested in it for upgrade.

but then that is for film to digital upgraders. for digital upgraders, ppl usually go for canon for noise control, fujifilm for color reproduction and nikon for its design/layout. this few components are the more critical components that may override the advantages other brands have, for example, size, weight, price, better menu settings.

Hi quinton,

there are many older models for consideration and current entry levels. i'm a nikon user but heard of good reviews of canon's 400D and pentax K10D (semi-pro level, not sure of the price but maybe cheaper than others at the same level?). if budget is a concern, despite of what quinton said is true, your initial consideration regarding brand might be important becos lens collection build up may constrain your financial consideration. there are many people who subsequently switched brands due to various reasons but they can afford to do so to sustain the loss and to make new investments. if you are likely to stay with the same brand for a long time say perhaps 5-10 years, it is likely you will gradually build up a lens collection of 3-6 lens, which is another big sum of money. canon, nikon-fujifilm have an advantage over here becos of their large market share, more lens options and 3rd parties option. other brands are complaining for exactly the same issue - the lack of options, which is something you may consider and to take a gamble if these companies would expand that in a couple of years. you can consider that however, if you do appropriate brands switch before you invest in new lens expansion to try out new focal lengths. once you got 2 or more lenses, it may become more difficult to switch brand.

take that purchasing consideration and photographic practice are two different matters. when you want to buy, you need to know more abou the various equipments. after you have bought it, when you practice, you still need to know that one equipment and to live with it and its properties. and then you will rediscover your equipment and got to know things that you can never know before buying. that's the problem - you can't really know the best products before buying, but you will only know your product best after buying.

and afterall, all the importance of various aspects of the equipments will only be of relevance after you have done 3 things
1. find the right subjects at the right timing (weight consideration)
2. getting the right angle, focal length and composition (lens option)
3. getting hold of your handhold ability and getting around it (various techniques/equipments)

Status
Not open for further replies.