How do you guys shoot street photography?

加油! One can only get better with more attempts. Some more asking people is free so..no financial outlay required :)

Yup link here. Starts from the street tip part. I think it's a good tip :)

http://youtu.be/C5OPScLtZkw?t=3m43s

Thanks for the link
I am very keen to learn how to eat Dim Sum Like A Pro (Thanks, Lok ! )

Anyway on my 500D I install Magic Lantern and set it to intervalometer mode, set focus to hyperfocal... just stand around taking shots off when it just pops off.

So ... first time I plucked up enough courage to ask two big burly men if I could take their picture, and ........ couldn't get a freaking overall focus (focus square right smack in BETWEEN their faces) and pic under - exposed. Grrr!!

Watch this video... Listen very carefully from 6 min 0 secs.

[video=youtube;PHKa6GB5nS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKa6GB5nS8[/video]

But mostly it is up to you. Most of us are fumbling and bumbling with the camera when the adventure starts, when the subject starts to sparkle in front of you. And you know that is the right time to take a picture, you are still struggling with the camera, trying to get it to focus, trying to get the aperture right. That's wrong. You've got to go to the backyard everyday, and practice practice practice until you use that camera very quickly without looking at it. Only then can you arrive at the proper decisive moment in your photography. Only then you can produce a worthwhile photograph. It is up to you. This is self taught...

Last edited:
Watch this video... Listen very carefully from 6 min 0 secs.

[video=youtube;PHKa6GB5nS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHKa6GB5nS8[/video]

The observant will realize, that the train takes more than 5 minutes to pull out. It is a very very long train, almost a kilometer long .

Anyway, I guess the lesson I can learn from this video is that a simpler camera actually makes a better street camera?

The observant will realize, that the train takes more than 5 minutes to pull out. It is a very very long train, almost a kilometer long .

Anyway, I guess the lesson I can learn from this video is that a simpler camera actually makes a better street camera?

Actually no. The point is you need to put effort in to know your equipment so well, so when you are shooting street, it becomes automatic and you can shoot very fast.

Actually no. The point is you need to put effort in to know your equipment so well, so when you are shooting street, it becomes automatic and you can shoot very fast.

I could be very well drilled in pushing 20 buttons in ten seconds
or
sufficient well drilled to push 3 buttons in 2 seconds .

I wonder which will get me the shot... relative familiarity or absolute speed?

I could be very well drilled in pushing 20 buttons in ten seconds
or
sufficient well drilled to push 3 buttons in 2 seconds .

I wonder which will get me the shot... relative familiarity or absolute speed?

When you start moving towards your subject, is your settings already set? are your AF points already selected for the composition you want before your raise the viewfinder to your eye? Do you already know that your exposure settings are correct? Do you already know how you want to compose the picture before your raise the VF to your eye? Do you already know what focal length you want to use? All these need to happen even before you raise the camera. Are you able to get these settings correct while keeping your eye on your subject?

Examples:

These ladies are all very shy. Once you raise your camera to your eye, they will avoid you and walk away. I waited, kept my eye on the ladies while I selected my AF point by feel. My exposure was preset, and I just click the proper EV in place without looking. When they are almost in position with the bike, I started crossing the road in front of them. Right in front of them, I turned my body, raised my camera and took 3 continuous shots. Took me all of 1 second.
This is shot at 16mm on a FF cam, so you know how close I am to them.
8181178579_a674f0b670_c.jpg

Almost same scenario with this, except I am walking along the street, not crossing it. Saw the 2 girls around 10-12 steps away. Start shifting my AF point to the right upper area and set my EV without looking while walking. Once I pass the 2 girls, turned to my right and fired off 3 shots. my feet never stopped walking in the same direction. 16mm again.. very close to them.
8181214968_021be61ce5_c.jpg

If you are slightly slower, this is the result you get... See 3 ladies turned their head away? one looked down, one gave blank look. yes, i do miss the moments sometimes too.
8270798183_4f896107de_c.jpg

Last edited:
I personally think there are many different styles of street photography, there isn't really any right or wrong. There is only personal preference. As such the technique which people use really varies a lot. Below is based on my personal preference and thoughts on this genre:

Pure street photography have been said to be the most difficult form of photography. Quite a lot of people says that statement is a load full of bull.....I for one is in total agreement with that statement. Many don't. So again, there's no right and wrong. I find that whether you agree with that statement or not, you have to ask youself, what is street photography to you? Who are the people whose work you love in street photography? Richard Kalvar only have 89 pictures over a 40 years career that he think is good enough. Ever wondered why that is so?

In Asia, unfortunately, most street photographs of hobbyist like you and I, falls into the journalistic, reportage and portraiture style, and are being classified as street photography. As compared to the West, I personally feel that Asia is really lacking far behind, strictly pure street photography per se. How many times have we seen a portrait of a person being classified as a street photograph? Do you guys consider Steve McCurry a Street photographer? I have not seen him being listed as one in almost all the publications that I have came across. As I type, I can also say that I am one of those who used to think that those type of pictures belongs to street photography. Unfortunately, I came to a realisation over time that it is not.....Bruce Gilden is probably the only one on planet earth that can pull off street portraits as a street photograph, at least to the masters of the business. His technique have been the most copied in the world right now, none can do it as good as him. Is that a technique you love to learn? If yes, you must be mentally strong enough and be prepared to face any possible confrontation, and learn to deal with it.

Therefore I think in order for TS to know what technique to use, the first thing is to have clarity in his mind, what is street photography to him. Many suggested asking people for permission to shoot. For me, that will immediately render the picture to be out of this genre completely. Again that is a personal preference, so please do not take offence for anyone who love doing that.

Mod DD shared a good video on one of the person whom I learnt quite a lot from, John Free. I will like to add a couple more videos here for sharing if anyone is interested in pursuing pure street photography, these are those that I really love:

[video=youtube;3RM9KcYEYXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RM9KcYEYXs&list=PLSaxXKb1Mu4hONMNUMZqC4Dyg_kdqqz1n&index=21[/video]
(His style of shooting is one of the rarest in the world right now. Anyone ever wondered why that is so?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejkd9c9c54E
(Walking with John Free in the Streets! Very Informative Stuff Street Photography Tips)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5NSHHefgQ&list=PLSaxXKb1Mu4hONMNUMZqC4Dyg_kdqqz1n&index=16
(Trent Parke in action with wife Narelle Autio)

And if you guys do not mind paying a little amount (price of a starbuck coffee), I highly recommend buying this video from In-Public,showing how the photographers from that collective goes about shooting on the street. This is a video which I repeat watching over and over and over again whenever I need inspiration on techniques. I came across this at the same time as the other video, Everybody Street, bought both, but this one really teaches you to see and anticipate, without disrupting the candidness of the situation:

http://www.distrify.com/films/539-in-sight

This is the website of the In-Public collective, which I feel is the best in the world currently outside Magnum Agency:
http://www.in-public.com/

Finally, I like to share 2 quotes from 2 photographers:

"My personal pictures don't have to "do" anything. They don't have to sell in a gallery or sit well beside the ads in a magazine. I don't have to make pictures that are easily categorized. They are not reportage. They are just pictures about life." - Nick Turpin

"Street photography is pretty useless, but I take it seriously" - Otto Snoek

Last edited:
I disagree that Asia street photography is lacking. To quote TungTong whom I have personally learn a lot from: Western street has western style, Asian street has asian style.

Street photography has a very wide spectrum. Juxtaposition, humor, layering is just techniques. But what is street to you personally? To me street photography is about life photography. You can even see some street photography with no people in it.

Just take a look at Magnum photographer Raghu Rai.. asian style street.
[video=youtube;u1Q7DlxxTDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Q7DlxxTDY[/video]

Last edited:
Sharing one video from our very own Tungtong. This is a selection of his work shot when he was in Argentina. We have definitely talent here in Asia.

[video=youtube;kpVN69V8H-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpVN69V8H-Y[/video]

Street photography has a very wide spectrum. Juxtaposition, humor, layering is just techniques. But what is street to you personally? To me street photography is about life photography. You can even see some street photography with no people in it.

Precisely bro, that's why I say everyone will have their own preference when it comes to street photography. The 3 in bold, for me, are what I feel are the most important to make any street photo work. Asia is very strong in documentary photography (reportage), because of it's demographic. That's something which will not change in the short term. It's just that personally, I put a clear distinction between them.

Raghu Rai is one of my most respected photographer. But if you put him side by side with Shin Noguchi, I probably will spend more time studying Shin's work than Raghu Rai's. That's one of my suggestions to TS above, to find someone whose work he like and study them.

Sharing one video from our very own Tungtong. This is a selection of his work shot when he was in Argentina. We have definitely talent here in Asia.

[video=youtube;kpVN69V8H-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpVN69V8H-Y[/video]

Bro, you misunderstand me liao lah, I never say Asia no talent, I am saying Asia loses out to the west as a whole for the type of street photography that I love.

Master Tung Tung's pics are one of the reasons why I picked up street photography in the first place, and continue to be a person that I have high respect of :)

It's just that over time, I find that I am beginning to dislike more and more of people smiling into the camera when doing street photography. It is a reaction I get on many occasions, without even speaking a single word to the subject. Some may like it. For me, at least for now, I don't :cool:

Last edited:
Precisely bro, that's why I say everyone will have their own preference when it comes to street photography. The 3 in bold, for me, are what I feel are the most important to make any street photo work. Asia is very strong in documentary photography (reportage), because of it's demographic. That's something which will not change in the short term. It's just that personally, I put a clear distinction between them.

Raghu Rai is one of my most respected photographer. But if you put him side by side with Shin Noguchi, I probably will spend more time studying Shin's work than Raghu Rai's. That's one of my suggestions to TS above, to find someone whose work he like and study them.

Bro, you misunderstand me liao lah, I never say Asia no talent, I am saying Asia loses out to the west as a whole for the type of street photography that I love.

Master Tung Tung's pics are one of the reasons why I picked up street photography in the first place, and continue to be a person that I have high respect of :)

It's just that over time, I find that I am beginning to dislike more and more of people smiling into the camera when doing street photography. It is a reaction I get on many occasions, without even speaking a single word to the subject. Some may like it. For me, at least for now, I don't :cool:

I have had long discussions with Tungtong on these subjects. The moment you start looking for a certain thing, a certain style, you are filtering already. And you will steer your street photography in a certain direction. It will no longer be raw, and unfiltered. Best thing is to see it happen, and be ready to catch it, rather than camping out at one location waiting for the juxtaposition to happen. And yes, quite a number do that nowadays... Is that street? capturing as it happens, or stake out and hope it happens?

You are right. Different people have different view on what they want to achieve. Street photography is so hard because it is so loose in definition. Some folks say, must be the 5Us... then qualify as street... Unplanned, Unstaged, Urban, Unknowns, Unseen. My personal take on the 5Us? Bullcrap.

I like Nick Turpin streets http://nickturpin.com/portfolio/street-photography/

thanks for sharing~!

I personally think there are many different styles of street photography, there isn't really any right or wrong. There is only personal preference. As such the technique which people use really varies a lot. Below is based on my personal preference and thoughts on this genre:

Pure street photography have been said to be the most difficult form of photography. Quite a lot of people says that statement is a load full of bull.....I for one is in total agreement with that statement. Many don't. So again, there's no right and wrong. I find that whether you agree with that statement or not, you have to ask youself, what is street photography to you? Who are the people whose work you love in street photography? Richard Kalvar only have 89 pictures over a 40 years career that he think is good enough. Ever wondered why that is so?

In Asia, unfortunately, most street photographs of hobbyist like you and I, falls into the journalistic, reportage and portraiture style, and are being classified as street photography. As compared to the West, I personally feel that Asia is really lacking far behind, strictly pure street photography per se. How many times have we seen a portrait of a person being classified as a street photograph? Do you guys consider Steve McCurry a Street photographer? I have not seen him being listed as one in almost all the publications that I have came across. As I type, I can also say that I am one of those who used to think that those type of pictures belongs to street photography. Unfortunately, I came to a realisation over time that it is not.....Bruce Gilden is probably the only one on planet earth that can pull off street portraits as a street photograph, at least to the masters of the business. His technique have been the most copied in the world right now, none can do it as good as him. Is that a technique you love to learn? If yes, you must be mentally strong enough and be prepared to face any possible confrontation, and learn to deal with it.

Therefore I think in order for TS to know what technique to use, the first thing is to have clarity in his mind, what is street photography to him. Many suggested asking people for permission to shoot. For me, that will immediately render the picture to be out of this genre completely. Again that is a personal preference, so please do not take offence for anyone who love doing that.

Mod DD shared a good video on one of the person whom I learnt quite a lot from, John Free. I will like to add a couple more videos here for sharing if anyone is interested in pursuing pure street photography, these are those that I really love:

[video=youtube;3RM9KcYEYXs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RM9KcYEYXs&list=PLSaxXKb1Mu4hONMNUMZqC4Dyg_kdqqz1n&index=21[/video]
(His style of shooting is one of the rarest in the world right now. Anyone ever wondered why that is so?)

(Walking with John Free in the Streets! Very Informative Stuff Street Photography Tips)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5NSHHefgQ&list=PLSaxXKb1Mu4hONMNUMZqC4Dyg_kdqqz1n&index=16

And if you guys do not mind paying a little amount (price of a starbuck coffee), I highly recommend buying this video from In-Public,showing how the photographers from that collective goes about shooting on the street. This is a video which I repeat watching over and over and over again whenever I need inspiration on techniques. I came across this at the same time as the other video, Everybody Street, bought both, but this one really teaches you to see and anticipate, without disrupting the candidness of the situation:

This is the website of the In-Public collective, which I feel is the best in the world currently outside Magnum Agency:

"My personal pictures don't have to "do" anything. They don't have to sell in a gallery or sit well beside the ads in a magazine. I don't have to make pictures that are easily categorized. They are not reportage. They are just pictures about life." - Nick Turpin

Last edited:
I have had long discussions with Tungtong on these subjects. The moment you start looking for a certain thing, a certain style, you are filtering already. And you will steer your street photography in a certain direction. It will no longer be raw, and unfiltered. Best thing is to see it happen, and be ready to catch it, rather than camping out at one location waiting for the juxtaposition to happen. And yes, quite a number do that nowadays... Is that street? capturing as it happens, or stake out and hope it happens?

You are right. Different people have different view on what they want to achieve. Street photography is so hard because it is so loose in definition. Some folks say, must be the 5Us... then qualify as street... Unplanned, Unstaged, Urban, Unknowns, Unseen. My personal take on the 5Us? Bullcrap.

Unfortunately bro, almost everyone have a filter in their photography, more so street photography.

I believe many of us have traveled to various parts of Asia. I like to quote 2 countries as an example. When we go to China and Myanmar, where are the regions that you want to head to for your street photography? Most will go straight to remote areas, and document poverty. Why aren't many people documenting the wealth of these countries? Pictures of the wealthy people in these 2 countries, their daily life? Is their life worth less documenting than the lower income and poor? How about finding a relationship between the rich and poor in 1 picture, maybe a rich man enjoying his life juxtaposed against a person that just arrived in the city from the countryside, looking lost and frantically looking for a job? Such pictures are very very rarely seen, if any. Will it make a bigger impact rather than just pictures of children running around in the courtyard of their home in the countryside? Did you filter out taking pictures showing the struggles of the young man in the big city in keeping up with the society? Instead of showing a low income or poor person that's wealthy at heart, why aren't more people doing the reverse? Why are the mass affluence, rich and wealthy almost always filtered out in Asian street photos? Can anyone confidently say that they shoot in the same manner in Orchard Road compared to shooting in Little India or Chinatown, outside of any special occasions or events? How about taking pictures of foreign workers? Exploitation or sincere desire to help? What is so special about the street performer which the tourist standing beside you have taken a dozen of photos that make you want to make that click? There will be lots of varied answers to the above. At the end of the day, I find that these are the easy targets which is most common in the street photography arena of Asia. I think these are the comfort zones of most street photographers. I tend to fall into these "traps" at times....

But is there anything wrong with doing the above? No, not at all. Beautiful pics still sprung up every now and then, though the impact it have over the years have dwindled, as there are abundance of such pictures pasted all over the web now. If the above is what a person enjoys photographing, by all means continue with it, and enjoy the process. That is the most important thing that anyone who is interested in street photography must remember.

It is always interesting to listen or read about discussions relating to photography, especially about street photography.

"How do you guys shoot street photography?"
I was wondering if you were referring to photographer's technique or his mindset?

First of all, i am an accidental street photographer. I don't go looking for such images. I only like the anticipation of finding a story.
Before you read on, ask yourself. Is a photo story street photography? Personally i believe it has many elements of street photography. If it isn't to you , then i am totally out of context in this discussion. Or i am already out of context if we are talking about techniques.

Here's my two cents worth. I am speaking from my own perspective. Everyone has their perspectives or approaches.

It could be anticipated or accidental.

I don't have a specific plan . In fact the plan only unfolds after the first few images that i shoot.
It somehow sets the tone for the subsequent images. The train of thought or my visual perspective or story just move along at a subconcious level.
There are however some visual compositions that i have in mind when i approach a story.

Taking a leaf from rhino123 and Daredevil123, i shall use some real life example to illustrate my views.

These are just two examples to illustrate my take on the subject.

Anticipated:

13962664848_a10b276e30_z.jpg

I noticed something interesting going on, i simply follow the scene, what will unfold is anybody's guess.I located my self in the scene with an idea of compostion. My finger was on my shutter, i waited and clicked if certain actions caught my attention. I was still framing when the father came along and pulled the kid away.
Better still if i could relate it to some recent incidences
The elderly gentleman with a walking stick (give way to the elderly) , the the woman with a plastic bag both standing there like waiting to cross the road.
Since i like the image i started thinking of a caption for the picture and i remembered the video of a kid running on the road. Hence my road safety caption.

Accidental:

15014046392_c0e67be3ba_o.jpg

I needed a photo of audience in the front after shooting people in the back.l saw a kid resting on the father's shoulder. I waited for the lady on the right to move into the scene. i clicked.
So what is so accidental.
This is what i call a "grandmother shot". An irrelevant shot of people standing around doing things that people normally do, "grandmother shots" are mainly documentary in nature and are sometimes needed for a story.
Did you notice the child arm around the father who is wearing a red shirt and she is looking back.
Did you also notice the mother also wearing red shirt and putting her hands like it is going around the pram and also seem to be looking back.
Then came the man and woman facing the getai. The photographer has a camera (working tool) on his right side and bag on his left. The woman, had her walkie talkie( working tool) on her left and bag on her right. Did u notice the blue jeans, pants?
I didn't.
While i composed the scene with the people in place. It is suppose to be an interesting concert , yet some of the people seem uninterested. That's all i noticed.
I only realised the various elements in play after i reviewed the scene. The actions,colours, stance are all pure luck.
Of course the open stage with its city backdrop and kites in the air does add more interest to the image.
Which brings us to foreground, middle ground and background of an image.
Are they interesting street photography? Does it serve any purpose? Would you even look at this image? Well, it fitted into my story so it worked for me.
I am glad that going around finding stories has surprised me with a couple of photographs that has elements that i like very much, be it street photography or otherwise. Better still it created awareness of my surroundings.
There are also elements in a photograph that evoke a certain feel based on your own experiences, so even if you have a photograph that nobody likes (heaven forbid!) it is fine. It meant something to you, otherwise why did you take it?

Thanks for all the reply. All the comment was useful :) ! Just hope that those pro street photographer will organise a street photography :)

daredevil123, thank you for that tip. Nope, obviously I wasn't prepared for that shot! I had just gone from setting my fstop down to shoot some brightly lit shops and didn't think about setting my cam right for taking the two dudes (it was 8pm, they were sitting under shady trees ... goodness I really was tripping myself up). Sigh ... lesson learnt lah =(

brilliant....thx for sharing. i have been a long time fan of in-public :)

Tungtung's work (especially streets) is up there with the best. thx for sharing.

Last edited: