How do you Colour your IR photos?

These tutorial are very helpful.Like everybody else,I only knows basic channel swapping.Haven't really explore into IR photography.Thanks to those who share their photoshop expertise here.

LuckyTiangco, I thank you on behalf of all the contributors to this thread.
You have beautiful IR photos posted in the IR subforum.
Keep them coming!

Just got back from the jungle and is barely able to keep my eyes open until i saw this thread at CS....totally overwhelmed by the generosity of all my admired "giants"Limwhow, LxChua, Wurdelak, naynoy, night86mare and others for your sharing.... i am going to digest everything here bit by bit...Old man needs more time and brain juice to do that. I am a novice and not able to contribute; feel a bit awkward but if you feel like coming over here to unwind in future, i will make it up to you....hihihi Thank you, Kam siah, terima kasih, ..........

Edit: I not only got insights into how to improve the scope of IR post processing but also the high standard of the photographs presented directly influence the way i frame my photograph now.. Interesting composition and perspective...it is endless!!!!

Hello sirikin! Why thank you very much, again on behalf of all the contributors on this thread.
You are most modest, my friend.
Looking forward to more of your IR works from the 'depth of the jungles'! ;)

Hello JellyBelly,
Many thanks to you for coming forth and contributing your workflow.
The video you have shown is great as I learned something new from that.
What I learned was - I could actually use 'Fill' after a selection, and use 'Colour Burn' Blending mode to achieve the nice shiny results.
Great! I think everyone of us who is going to do changes in our photo's colour should give this video a visit.
Thank you once again, JellyBelly!

Thxs JellyBelly, can we use the "Change Color" in cS TO CHANGE THE COLORS of the van?

Thxs JellyBelly, can we use the "Change Color" in cS TO CHANGE THE COLORS of the van?

Hi Lx3ChuA, I think you might be referring to "Replace Colour" under Adjustments?

I think it depends on the photo that you are working with. I've tried that on landscape pictures but with limited success as there can be similar colours outside the areas that I wanted to isolate. It was another hair tearing experience for me...but nothing venture nothing gained.:bsmilie:

However, if your photo has a strong contrasting background i.e. say against a white background, then I think you would stand a better chance with the Replace Colour function.

Hi Lx3ChuA, I think you might be referring to "Replace Colour" under Adjustments?

I think it depends on the photo that you are working with. I've tried that on landscape pictures but with limited success as there can be similar colours outside the areas that I wanted to isolate. It was another hair tearing experience for me...but nothing venture nothing gained.:bsmilie:

However, if your photo has a strong contrasting background i.e. say against a white background, then I think you would stand a better chance with the Replace Colour function.

Oh sorry... Bro U are rite .. it should be replace color... Ths for ur link..") :thumbsup:

I had try on this IR photo without using the channel swap.

What I done is just use Replace Colour" under Adjustments. After that did a auto level and a surface blur.

The result as fellow...

5058531642_6d426790f6_b.jpg

Thank you all for sharing...such generosity :)
Colourful and creative IR photos from especially limwhow has me drooling all over my computer all this while but I am fully aware that that has come at a very high cost (patience, PP skills and creativity), of which I have none :( I have never advanced beyond the simple channel swaps and whatever the colour my IR filter has mercy in letting pass but I will certainly try out the techniques shared here. Tks again, especially to you whow :)

I had try on this IR photo without using the channel swap.

What I done is just use Replace Colour" under Adjustments. After that did a auto level and a surface blur.

The result as fellow...
Brother Lx3ChuA.
Great, man.
Really very good of you to demonstrate to us this Replace Colour method.
Honestly I have not used it before.
Like what JellyBelly has shown in his examples and now yours, I certainly think it's a good method.
And I will go and practise using this.
Thank you, Ah Chua!

Thank you all for sharing...such generosity :)
Colourful and creative IR photos from especially limwhow has me drooling all over my computer all this while but I am fully aware that that has come at a very high cost (patience, PP skills and creativity), of which I have none :( I have never advanced beyond the simple channel swaps and whatever the colour my IR filter has mercy in letting pass but I will certainly try out the techniques shared here. Tks again, especially to you whow :)

SK1968, thank you for your kind words.
As you can see, this thread is really a combination of efforts.
Everyone has something to share and to contribute.
And I have learned a lot since I started this thread.
I am looking forward to more contributions from you and all IR shooters both new and seasoned shooters.

Don't worry if any one of you are new to IR.
You may have come across some new methods that would benefit the IR community.

Good tutorial great help.. :thumbsup: appreciate!

i know your good in photoshop, can you show me how to do this effect? pls? thanks

11_2006punggol01.jpg

I am wondering how to get a yellowish foliage.
Channel swap gives me brownish greywhite trees, and cyan/blue sky. I want some kind of channel mixer settings which can give me yellow foliage, and blue skies. I know its possible in channel mixer, but I wonder what colors mix how!

Channel swap gives me brownish greywhite trees, and cyan/blue sky. I want some kind of channel mixer settings which can give me yellow foliage, and blue skies. I know its possible in channel mixer, but I wonder what colors mix how!

I assume you have a goldie? or 600nm filter? If so, after doing the usual CWB, take the shot under a damn hot & sunny sky.

channel swap - red output - Red - 0, Blue - 100
Blue output - red - 100, blue - anywhere between 0 to -50. depend on the outcome of the photo. i ever change
to -50 and the foliage was a bright yellow but sometimes i put -50, the sky itself turn yellow.

Levels - RGB - Auto or move the white & black triangles until the start of the 'curve' / graph.
Blue - move the black triangle slightly up - around 20-30 depending on photo

still not yellow enough? open hue/saturation - Master - input a value e.g. 20 or 30 etc...
Blue sky not blue enough? in the hue/saturation - blue - put in a value e.g. 20 or so.

I think if you take the shot under a cloudy sky, or weak sunlight, if you use the same PP values above, the foliage will turn brown-yellow....

havent visted this thread for quite sometime now.. also haven't done any IR late due to my current cams inability to get good IR shots other than direct conversion to B&W (sony a500) not unless i upgrade my body and convert the current to a full spectrum one.

but back to your question.. you can try and play with layers in photoshop..
1 layer for the trees
and another for the sky each with different color adjustment..

Last edited:
interest in IR colour