Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
Be gg hk. Hoping to get a portable tripod set for my canon 500d. Any recomendations? Is it cheaper to get in sg or hk? Budget below $100?or even around $50?

thanks in advance

Manage to find find my sony sel18200 in mongkok sunning. Price ard nine hundred plus sgd and applied for the tourist limited warranty too.

sunning's pricing (previously known as citicall) is very competitive, at times better than tin cheung, dc power etc.

i bought most of stuff from them recently, 5dmk2, 100 2.8L, 580ex2, etc.
There are quite a few Sunning stores in Mongkok. They are all within the 2-3 block area. Although their price quotes are very competitive, they are not very consistent. So, my suggestion is to check with more than one Sunning store and see if you can get a better price.

Hi CS tan and everyone, can i ask where can i get pentax stuff and 2nd equipment of medium format like Hasselblad and rangefinder like leica or Konica? just pm u but wish to share this info too.. thanks

Hi CS tan and everyone, can i ask where can i get pentax stuff and 2nd equipment of medium format like Hasselblad and rangefinder like leica or Konica? just pm u but wish to share this info too.. thanks
you can try Tin Cheung in Tsim Sha Tsui or the shops over at Champagne Court, 44 Kimberley Road, also in Tsim Sha Tsui. Please refer to the Tsim Sha Tsui section of this thread in page 1 for detail shop names.

CS TAN said:
There are quite a few Sunning stores in Mongkok. They are all within the 2-3 block area. Although their price quotes are very competitive, they are not very consistent. So, my suggestion is to check with more than one Sunning store and see if you can get a better price.

Agree...always worth it to ask around :)

In fact, I find that prices generally more negotiable towards closing time, as sales ppl despo to meet their target, lol

I'll be going HK from 030311 to 080311, anyone wans any camera lens? Will be buying from Wing Shing, interested parties can pm me :)

More details can be provided from there.

Thanks CS TAN.
I now live in HK - moved in from SG couple of months back.

Mr Tony Leung : New Sankyo Camera Co Ltd a nice place to shop
was very professional in dealings.

New Sankyo Camera Co Ltd
Shop #G-19 Golden Mile Holiday Inn (Mody Rd. side of the Hotel)
50 Nathan Road, Kowloon, HONG KONG
Tel: +852-2367 0350 Fax: +852-2739 2932

Thanks CS TAN.
I now live in HK - moved in from SG couple of months back.

Mr Tony Leung : New Sankyo Camera Co Ltd a nice place to shop
was very professional in dealings.

New Sankyo Camera Co Ltd
Shop #G-19 Golden Mile Holiday Inn (Mody Rd. side of the Hotel)
50 Nathan Road, Kowloon, HONG KONG
Tel: +852-2367 0350 Fax: +852-2739 2932

hi all,
Got my canon s95 for hk$3080 with all the freebies at broadway. Theres a cheaper store at hk$3060 but it is a store with little traffic. So I figure it better toget from someplace with reputable image.

cheers

hi all,
Got my canon s95 for hk$3080 with all the freebies at broadway. Theres a cheaper store at hk$3060 but it is a store with little traffic. So I figure it better toget from someplace with reputable image.

cheers
Do remember to convert your 1-yr HK local warranty to the 6-months tourist warranty so if something happen to your s95, Canon Singapore will provide the repair service FOC for that 6-month period.

I just bought my Tammy 17-50mm VC at Wing Shing as per advised by Brother Tan. The local warranty they provide is 5 years however, they will replace it on the spot with a international warranty upon request. I got this lens at $3,850 HKD.

As for the Canon 60D, the cheapest I can find is $7520 from Mongkok Computer Center with local warranty. But due to the $200 singapore dollars, i decide to get it in Singapore to save some hassle.

Hi, HK$7250 for Canon 60D is just the body alone, or? Thanks!

Greetings CS Tan,
i will be drop by HK this coming Fri for 7 days. I have planned to get a nikon 70-200 f2.8 and think tank modular set w Pro Speed belt. The resources you have provided is very valuable but i wonder is it easy to find Think Tank products easily in HK? i was checking 萬成 web but didn't see Think Tank products being featured. Hence, for this think tank modular set/belt, i am wondering should i buy it in SIN before flying off to HK. for your advise pls. thanks.

Greetings CS Tan,
i will be drop by HK this coming Fri for 7 days. I have planned to get a nikon 70-200 f2.8 and think tank modular set w Pro Speed belt. The resources you have provided is very valuable but i wonder is it easy to find Think Tank products easily in HK? i was checking 萬成 web but didn't see Think Tank products being featured. Hence, for this think tank modular set/belt, i am wondering should i buy it in SIN before flying off to HK. for your advise pls. thanks.

You can visit DC Wave @3rd floor Sim City in Mongkok. They should have the modular system available.

Thank you very much.

Thanks to this guide, my shopping spree for lenses was pretty smooth in Hong Kong. Aim was to get Tokina 11-16 and Canon 24-70. Initially the shops in Mong Kok had the best price but I was surprised that all the shops that I went to (Suning, Broadway, Fortress and one Cam2 outlet) were out of stocks for the Tokina. Was really disappointed because I was travelling with my wife and kid. To make things worse, the pavement and roads in Hong Kong are not very wheel-friendly because of the uneven grounds. Eventually I still got the 24-70 and 11-16 in TST and I'm now a happy man because the prices were better than the shops in Mongkok.

Thanks to this guide, my shopping spree for lenses was pretty smooth in Hong Kong. Aim was to get Tokina 11-16 and Canon 24-70. Initially the shops in Mong Kok had the best price but I was surprised that all the shops that I went to (Suning, Broadway, Fortress and one Cam2 outlet) were out of stocks for the Tokina. Was really disappointed because I was travelling with my wife and kid. To make things worse, the pavement and roads in Hong Kong are not very wheel-friendly because of the uneven grounds. Eventually I still got the 24-70 and 11-16 in TST and I'm now a happy man because the prices were better than the shops in Mongkok.
Did you check with Wing Shing while in Mongkok? The shops that you have named (in Mongkok) mostly sell the main brands such as Nikon, Canon, Sony and Panasonic. Which shop in TST did you manage to get the lenses?

Did you check with Wing Shing while in Mongkok? The shops that you have named (in Mongkok) mostly sell the main brands such as Nikon, Canon, Sony and Panasonic. Which shop in TST did you manage to get the lenses?

Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to visit Wing Shing, Man Shing or even Tin Cheung's main branch which was so near to where I stayed because I could not stick to my planned itinery - I squeezed all the cam stuffs shopping on Sunday but found out I couldn't cope with a sleeping kid and a stroller up the Giant Buddha in the morning :p so we had some delays due to poor planning on my part. Over estimated that it would be easy if I had a stroller in HK. Anyway by the time I reached Wing Kee and got my tripod, it was already 8.30pm. Had a quick dinner then rushed to Mong Kok as most of the shops close at 2230 / 2300. One of the Suning branches in Mongkok offered me $10200 for the 24-70 and $4200 for the 11-16 but later told me no stock for the 11-16 so I didn't buy anything from him.

Monday was to Disney so I really wanted to get the Tokina asap that morning before the visit. Got my 24-70 from Echo (hkd9800) and Tokina from New Sankyo (hkd4400). Had decided to get from New Sankyo because my price check with them in January was hkd4550.

Thanks CS Tan, your guide provided alot of info and help!

Just got back home not too long ago - time to do the laundry.

just came back from HK on Tuesday and got a Tokina 11-16mm and Manfrotto Tripod as well.

guide was very accurate, Man Shing and Wing Shing offered the same price of HKD4780 for the lens which comes with 3years HK and 2years intl warranty, with another 2% surcharge if you pay with your card.

I got mine from Tin Cheung Classic along Moby Road, they offered HKD4500 as compared to Tin Cheung Main at Carnavon Road which offered HKD 46XX, i cannot remember exactly. TC Classic carries a wide range of used equipment and the staff there are really friendly.

I bought my Manfrotto from Wing Shing. Ran out of time travelling btwn Mongkok and TST and settled for it without checking for price with other shops.

Had an easy time finding the shops thanks to the precise guide provided. Thanks CS!

just came back from HK on Tuesday and got a Tokina 11-16mm and Manfrotto Tripod as well.

guide was very accurate, Man Shing and Wing Shing offered the same price of HKD4780 for the lens which comes with 3years HK and 2years intl warranty, with another 2% surcharge if you pay with your card.

I got mine from Tin Cheung Classic along Moby Road, they offered HKD4500 as compared to Tin Cheung Main at Carnavon Road which offered HKD 46XX, i cannot remember exactly. TC Classic carries a wide range of used equipment and the staff there are really friendly.

I bought my Manfrotto from Wing Shing. Ran out of time travelling btwn Mongkok and TST and settled for it without checking for price with other shops.

Had an easy time finding the shops thanks to the precise guide provided. Thanks CS!
I always thought Wing Shing does not charge extra for using credit card. They gave consistent price quotes as well so you don't have to worry about who to ask. I will check with them on the 2% credit card surcharge next time I am in Mongkok.

By the way Wing Shing has good stocks ie. it is the only shop along Sai Yeung Choi Street that carries Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.