Hong Kong Camera Gears Shopping Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you check out the locations on the first page of this thread and plot them on a map, you'll realise that most of the Mongkok ones are within walking distance of Royal Plaza...

Fantastic, thanx! Do the shops in HK take China Union Card? It is not really a Credit Card but more like our DBS/POSB ATM or Debit like card?

Yes, they do. They will be crazy not to.

There are a lot of China 'free and easy' tourists coming to HK just to do shopping. You will see them everywhere, mostly jewelry shops buying Rolex, Pharmacies buying baby formula milk powder, camera shops buying 5D Mark II ;) and telecom shops buying iPhone4 and iPad2.

Most of them carry China Union cards...

Yes, they do. They will be crazy not to.

There are a lot of China 'free and easy' tourists coming to HK just to do shopping. You will see them everywhere, mostly jewelry shops buying Rolex, Pharmacies buying baby formula milk powder, camera shops buying 5D Mark II ;) and telecom shops buying iPhone4 and iPad2.

Most of them carry China Union cards...

Thanx CS Tan

I suppose it is still cheaper to bring RMB over to HK to change right?

Hi,

I am getting a Olympus Pen EP3 with kit from HK. Need to know the average price so that I would not be fleece. Thank you in advance for the help! Do state which shop if possible.

Lister

Check this website before you come over http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=129648

If the price is not much cheaper than SG, consider getting it in SG instead. Do note that Olympus has an International 1-year warranty on their product so you should have the same warranty coverage if you get it from HK.

Hi mate,

I'm heading to HK in 2weeks time and am thinking of getting exactly the same lens.

Does yours come with international warranty? There seems to be different reports on it. Also, did you shop around and found that this was the cheapest one around?

Tks for all the help!

Hi CS,

I'm back from HK a few days ago. Manage to grab a piece of Tokina 11-16 at Fa Yuen Street, Citicall Branch. I was quoted HK$4480 plus a kenko UV filter @ HK$290. It is much cheaper than Singapore.

Thank you for the guide. HK is fun.

Can anyone advice if there is internation warranty for sigma lens purchase in Hong Kong when you are back in Singapore.
I called up Sigma Singapore and was informed that they do not have internation warrranty.

what about panasonic lens? are their lens covered under international warranty?

i have a problem. ive recently ask my friend to buy a Sony A mount adapter from HK for me..
i inform him about how to go about with the warrenty etc.

however now he is back with the item.. ive open and check the item. There is no Sony warrenty card at all. Just the company receipt. So how do i register now? All item should come with a warrenty card right? and the box should be sealed with a tape right? could it be..he bought a paralel import item? He bought the item from Myer photo and audio co LTD at Tsmishatsui, Kowloon. Hongkong.

Any body bought any Sony stuff from HK can enlighten me ? thanks alot.

Can anyone advice if there is international warranty for sigma lens purchase in Hong Kong when you are back in Singapore.
I called up Sigma Singapore and was informed that they do not have international warranty.
You can refer to post #3 for detail.

Hi CS,

Been reading through the numerous posts and thought if I can just ask you directly, it'll be much easier and I'll just follow your advice.

I'm gonna be in HK in 2weeks time. Unfortunately, it's a really short trip and I'll have at most 2-3hrs to purchase my stuff. As such, where is the one or two place that you will recommend that I go to for the below items?

1) Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

2) AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G

3) AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II

And besides the shop/s that you'll recommend, where will be a good place to shop for camera bags? assuming it's a different shop altogether?

Tks very much for the help!

For people with not much shopping time in HK, I would always recommend Wing Shing in Mongkok. They are not the lowest in price BUT:
- they have standard pricing and do not quote differently because you are a tourist that cannot speak Cantonese.
- they accept credit card payment with no additional service charge.
- they have larger stock than others as their daily turnover is huge.

However, they do not sell gray sets so you might be paying for a local set when all you need is a cheaper gray set.

For Camera Bags, Tin Cheung has the largest selection.

Thanks! Ok, what if I can try and squeeze a bit more time? Where can I go to for ready stock gray sets for the above?

Thanks again!

Thanks! Ok, what if I can try and squeeze a bit more time? Where can I go to for ready stock gray sets for the above?

Thanks again!
It is a bit hard to say which shop has ready gray sets since it might vary depend on supply. Tin Cheung should have gray sets as well as local sets. You might go to www.price.com.hk to check. Most shops advertise there sell gray sets.

Looks to me Sigma SG's distributor does not want to honor the international warranty since it eats into its SG sales. But if Sigma Japan has come out with the international warranty, I guess you can try contact Sigma Japan to clarify. I personally called Sigma HK distributor before I put down the information in post #3.

Warranty Matters on Camera Gears

Canon Hong Kong warranty Policy (Updated: October 2010)
Starting from October 01, 2010, Canon Hong Kong has discontinued issuing International warranty for lenses and flash guns, there will only be local warranty provided. For compact cameras, Canon offers a “Half Year Tourist Warranty” to replace the local one year warranty. However, Canon HK does NOT offer international warranty nor “Half Year Tourist Warranty” to DSLR camera bodies.
For Canon compact cameras, you will need to bring your Canon Hong Kong warranty card and the purchase receipt and visit Hong Kong Canon Care Centre in person to exchange the local warranty card to a tourist warranty card. The tourist warranty’s start date will count as the purchase date. After that, you can bring the camera with tourist warranty card to Canon Singapore service centre for the six month warranty service. Please refer to clause 17.5 for detail.

So will there be a half year tourist warranty for flash guns?

I saw the following from the T&C of canon HK link posted above...

"TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF WARRANTY

If you complete the registration of this warranty online at www.canon.com.hk within 14 days from the date of purchase of the product, then the warranty set out in these terms and conditions will apply.

2. When you purchase your Canon product, you will receive an international warranty card if your Canon product is a Canon film single lens reflex camera or a Canon flash other than those listed in Clause 18.1, and a purchase record card for any other Canon product. This warranty only applies to the product with the model number and serial number written on, as the case may be, the purchase record card or the international warranty card (the "Product").

18. Provisions for Specific Products
18.1) If the Product is a Canon EOS 60D / EOS 50D / EOS 40D / EOS 30D / EOS 20D / EOS 600D / EOS 550D / EOS 500D / EOS 450D / EOS 400D / EOS 350D / EOS 1000D / EOS 1100D digital single lens reflex camera, then:
(a) this warranty will only be valid if the Product was purchased in Hong Kong or Macau SAR ("Macau"), in which case the applicable Warranty Period is 2 years from the date of purchase of the Product if the warranty services is sought in Hong Kong or Macau and 1 year from the date of purchase of the Product if the warranty services may be sought in Mainland China*; and
(b) if the Product is located in Mainland China, then the Canon 2-year Supreme Protection Plan (the "Supreme Protection Plan") shall not apply, and this warranty shall be the sole warranty granted by Canon in respect of the Product."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.