HOKKAIDO [A Travelogue] - limwhow & SereneXMM

Day 1: Sapporo

Dinner at Daimaru Sapporo-den

Our Toyoko Inn Hotel was only 5 minutes (literally 5 minutes, no more...) walk in the snow to the JR Sapporo Station.
And what was so wonderful about the Sapporo station was that EVERYTHING was there - shopping centres, book stores, restaurants.
Names many of which were unfamiliar to me - ESTA, Apia..., and names that were familiar to me, if not somewhat vaguely - Daimaru etc. etc.
Anyway the hordes of (well-mannered) crowd that thronged the Stations and the myriad of Japanese signs served to confuse this already very confused Tour Guide.
"Where are we going to have dinner, Papa?" the young ones and the old ones all looked towards me...
Wah lau eh... stressed ah.
"The Chinese guide book says that there is a very famous Buffet restaurant up there at 8th Storey of Daimaru called Daimaru Sapporo Den 大丸札幌店. Apparently not bad. So let's try ok?" replied the Guide with quivering voice.
Armed with a smattering of broken Japanese, we managed to make our way up to the Buffet Restaurant.
I have not encountered such well-mannered and courteous service staff before.
Despite not being able to understand what I was trying to explain to them, they were still very patient and went out of their way to assist us in locating our destination.

5436433615_9d589f4c54_b.jpg

The Buffet restaurant was surprisingly reasonably priced. And adults only paid something around S$30 for unlimited buffet including lots of Japanese sashimi, shushi, tempura, teriyaki as well as international and Chinese food.
My goodness, I have not seen the children and the old folks ate the way they ate that night for a long long time!
They must have been famished!
Luckily the Guide book didn't fail me.

My favourite Zaru soba...

5436406751_c292da1299_z.jpg

and SereneXMM's favourite salmon...

5436370297_6bf90eb582_z.jpg

... and some Chinese food...
5436999046_1c99cf96da_z.jpg

Last edited:
Day 1: Sapporo

JR Tower T38

So many guide books, travel books and those who have been there have stated and re-stated time and again the beauty of viewing the whole Sapporo cityscape from the 38th floor of JR Tower 173m from above.
Our original intention was to reach JR Tower just before sunset and stay on until nightfall so as to view both the day and night scene.
But like all trips, sometimes things don't happen the way we wanted them to.
So at 7:30pm, with barely half an hour left in the opening hours, we paid 750yen per adult and 450yen per teenager to go up.

5436615080_7d1132937f_z.jpg

The night scenes were spectacular.
5435997633_0e38673b91_b.jpg

"Hey, we can see our hotel there... at the lower right hand corner!" exclaimed the Grandfather.
And true enough... Toyoko Inn was there.
5437107528_bfc2041f4d_b.jpg

I have always imagined, before we arrived in Sapporo, seeing a whole scene of misty white looking from high above, with snow-paved roof tops and roads...
But I guess colourful night scenes like these were part of the wintry landscape of Sapporo too...

5436516377_8554ae6504_z.jpg

... walking back to the Hotel...

Well, the dinner was nice and sumptuous. The day had been long. And the travellers were tired.
What a lovely weather to take a nice slow stroll on the icy pavements back to the hotel...

5435958891_a541e8f854_b.jpg

... the bicycle wheels were snow-capped...

5436019971_fdc8bdbf1c_b.jpg

... the post boxes were snow-capped...

5436557962_38c5b7034e_b.jpg

... the shrubs (? fir trees... pardon my ignorant in the correct name) were snow-capped...
(Hmmmm... OOF. But this was the only shot that portrayed better the mood of that moment. So bo bian lor... Apologies.)

5435912703_d2a82c0233_b.jpg

... and we had to be careful crossing the roads for the main roads were snow-covered...

5436628514_0760ed9098_z.jpg

... and what did the children do again? Played with the snow lor... what else?! Haha....

By the time we stepped into the hotel lobby, the zzzzz bug had begun to hit.
Soon, all were in snowy, winter, slumber-land...

wah Wei How, very nice, can't wait for u to continue and post more on your trip!...

My good friend, good to see you post at long last!

As usual, never a dull moment for your travelogue with some interesting photos so far. Keep them coming, bro!

wah Wei How, very nice, can't wait for u to continue and post more on your trip!...

senser, eh thank you so much for coming on board and thanks for your compliments!
You know me one lah.. I anyhow shoot one lah...
Ok, I will continue to work hard to see if there are any can-make-it shots to post. OK?

My good friend, good to see you post at long last!

As usual, never a dull moment for your travelogue with some interesting photos so far. Keep them coming, bro!

Divinemoment! Wah... thank you for your praises!
Aiyoh... pai seh pai seh... SereneXMM and mine shots really not too up to standard lah.
Will strive harder! Thanks again!

Day 2: Sapporo

Free & Easy

It is well known that for those of use who travelled free and easy, and especially like me who went every where by public transport, it is impossible to see as many sights as those who are on a guided tour.
But of course F&E gave us just that little added advantage of flexibility.
Both in destination, timing and importantly food.
Don't get me wrong. I am not one to stinge on food. But often the stomachs of the young and the old may not be hungry at the right moment.
And having a choice of what we want to eat and where has significantly cut down on the whole cost of the trip.
In fact, after coming back from the whole trip, and doing some calculation, we found that per person, we spent only about two-third of what my friends did with their guided tour same period to Hokkaido (and even one or two days less than us).
But of course, this is merely an aside.
Our going F&E is really never originally to save on cost but that has been exactly how we loved to travel.

Itinerary
This first-time-Japan-tour-guide here planned this for the day:

• Snowmobiling at Sapporo Snowmobile Land!
  • Lunch at the famous Ramen Kyowagaku to enjoy various types of Hokkaido Ramen
  • Nice walk to Hokkaido University compound
  • Hokkaido Old Government House to enjoy a unique scene of old Hokkaido during the Meiji period
  • The famous Hokkaido Clock Tower
  • then walk to Odori Park to view the famous Christmas Light-up and Display
  • to see the Sapporo TV Tower
  • to enjoy a classic Hokkaido Crab Dinner at Susukino
  • then sleep.
Sounded really ambitious.
Some of my friends dropped their jaws when they saw this itinerary.
And they dropped their jaws even more when they found out that I was going to walk all the way in Sapporo. No cars. Sorry. Don't know how to drive in winter.

Last edited:
Day 2: Sapporo

Breakfast in Toyoko Inn Hotel

5436123137_4cbc8276e4_z.jpg

So early in the morning.
Breakfast at Toyoko Inn Hotel.
People may be thinking: "Siao ah.. breakfast also wanted to write."
But I thought it would be useful for some of my fellow forum mates who would like to go on their own and would like this information.
Toyoko Inn chain of hotel is really one of the best ways to stay in Japan as in most major cities they will always have one of their hotel right next to either an MRT Station or a JR Train Station.
And what's better? It is dang cheap. For one room that can sleep three teenagers or two adults, it only cost S$120 per night. And the rooms were all spotless, clean, tidy and with everything in!
Once I became a member (signed right on the spot), my rates per night in the Toyoko Inn in another city Hakodate actually was even cheaper at S$95 per night.
And all Toyoko Inn came with free breakfast (and dinner, just that we were never in time for dinner).
Here is the breakfast. It is really the typical Japanese breakfast with free flow of coffee, tea, and food.
During breakfast we saw many Japanese business executives in the dining hall having their morning cuppa and reading the papers.
Even until today, my whole family still misses the breakfast of Toyoko Inn.

So%20early%20in%20the%20morning.%20Breakfast%20at%20Toyoko%20Inn%20Hotel.
5436822920_41412fc3a6_z.jpg

5436189367_58893e860f_z.jpg

While waiting for our Snowmobile transport, our youngest daughter did it again...
A Singaporean-made Japanese-Snow-man...

5436134333_681a38f729_z.jpg

Snowmobile!

Many tourists to Hokkaido would not hesitate to ski.
In fact, Hokkaido is so famous for skiing that when I told people that we were not going to ski, I got a blank look and lots of question.
Now snowmobiling is a different type of experience. And something that I planned right at the beginning of the trip to give the family the highlight and the big bang to start off their trip with.

The exhilaration of a speeding snowmobile, up in the mountain, with rows and rows of trees flying past you and snow falling on your face sooo painful that you had to put your visor down...
The scenery and the experience is priceless.

There are many snowmobile companies in Hokkaido. I was also confused initially.
And the prices varied. Some offered different level of experience, different terrain and different duration.
I chose Snowmobile Land because not only was it one of the more established ones, they were also very professional, which I will explain as we go along in this travelogue.

Even before we arrived at Sapporo, they have already emailed me back home in Singapore that their bus will pick us up at our hotel at 9am.
And true enough. 9am sharp the bus drew up on the front of the hotel.
Talk about Japanese punctuality! Another big :thumbsup:!

5436832580_6006042d43_z.jpg

Day 2: Sapporo - Snowmobile Land!

The trick with either skiing or snowmobiling in Hokkaido is - the timing must be right.
If the temperature is not cold enough the few days before, and importantly if the snow is not enough the night before, the snowmobile operator will call us and cancel the event.
So I literally had to monitor the snow amount on www.snowjapan.com for a few weeks to reassure myself that we had enough snow for the snowmobiling.

I kept looking at my Garmin Oregon GPS and saw that the bus was taking us to a mountainous area 5km to the north-west of JR Sapporo Station called 五云山.
Snow was aplenty both in the air and thick on the ground. As the bus strained up-slope we could feel that the temperature just became even colder.
Snow was pelting down against the windscreen of the bus like rain-drops.
My goodness... what a start to Day 2!

Arriving at the training house...

5436231145_7c74578782_z.jpg

We were greeted by a team of young men and women who was surprisingly very fluent in English.
We were originally very worried and we packed ourselves with water-proof track pants, water-proof gloves and water-proof everything.
But when we arrived, we were very relieved to hear that Sapporo Snowmobile Land provided everything.
We all slipped into the overalls, both top and bottom and their special boots and gloves and helmets.
In fact, many of us left our own Outer shell layers, gloves and track shoes at the training shed!
What great service!

5436872908_99cd53f7af_z.jpg
5436250383_9b45d68e30_z.jpg

Here was how we all looked - all decked up and ready for the ride...

5436271869_b484ab894e_z.jpg

Here EVEN the grandparents were game for the ride..! THUMBSUP!

How much we spent altogether for all seven of us?
45,000 yen. Good price for an extra-ordinary experience.

Last edited:
... finally... walking to the Snowmobiles.
5436894044_29b72a3d8a_z.jpg

... seeing the rows of Snowmobile lining up waiting for us sent a adrenaline rushed all the way through...

5436372545_9ab2524613_b.jpg

The Snowmobile Trail

5436381761_d0756fc41c_b.jpg

Just for information for some of our good members here who may be thinking of doing the same, Sapporo Snowmobile Land has some interesting rulings:

• A participant younger than 16 years old must be a pillion rider and cannot ride his own snowmobile.
  • An adult male can rider with a pillion rider behind him.
  • But an adult female is NOT ALLOWED to have a pillion rider behind her.
Hmmm... but you know what? When the Counter Manager was told that my son was 13 and a half year old, he took one quick, shocked look at that young man and told me that this young man better take a whole snowmobile all for himself! HAHAHA...
My son was half a head taller than me and of a big muscular build!
Good decision, Snowmobile Land - that's why i said they were good!

What's more, we all had to have training on a flat piece of show ground, going round and round in circles first, as the instructors train us on the handling of the snowmobile.
Only when he was totally satisfied that we could all handle the machines were we allowed to start the 60mins ride.

Wheew-wee!

Here is the typical snowscape that we come across on the trail.

5436633694_409632a9dc_z.jpg

... and here is the brave old folks on their snowmobile...

5436030103_4e48b4cb44_z.jpg

... and who else but yours truly on the snowmobile but yet cannot stop shooting... cannot miss the moment mah... This is real dedication to the job of a record photographer!
(Our youngest daughter was sitting pillion with me...)

5436647796_8f07b9e24b_b.jpg

.. and the whole family was lined up in a convoy all vrooom vrrrroooommm... ready to go!
Where was SereneXMM? Right in front lor of course... taking this photo mah...

5435989355_3861e1c450_b.jpg

The Snowmobile Trail - continued...

It must be experienced to be believed, but as we sped up and down the slopes, the gushes of wind swept the snow flakes onto our faces so hard that a couple of times i tried to lift up the visor, only to be met with painful hits on my face.

But we all were just soaking in the lovely environment and peaceful surrounding, peace only broken by the roaring noises of the engine and the smell of the petrol...

... yours truly having h*ll of a time zooming by in the snow...

5436605494_a52cc7ac0f_b.jpg

... beautiful scenery that could only be beheld off-road.

5436666646_1504f76961_b.jpg

... Our courageous Deputy Record Photographer and Deputy Tour Guide (a lousy Deputy Tour Guide... hehe...) on her Snowmobile.

5436352619_405d97a520_b.jpg

.. and the muscular young man appreciating the warmth and the water-proofing of the Snowmobiling gloves...

5435976881_4a912de248_b.jpg

... and the girls up to no good again!

5436323207_f650a5ac86_b.jpg

Through peaks and valleys we rode, across twigs and branches...
A few close shaves as our snowmobiles slid sideways in the slippery snow.. but more due to inexperience and an eagerness to cheong the speed high high...
But the instructors were always close at hands..

... Ok.. home run liao. The instructor stopped to give us a last instruction on how to tackle an up-slope on our way back...

5436691886_32b19b96ac_b.jpg

And of course, as always... the young man can't wait to rev his engine to full... Here he could snowmobile.
Back home he couldn't even motorbike. Of course he would make full use of this opportunity!

5436064293_284123a096_z.jpg

At last, the ride ended.
It was a most up-lifting run. And an experience befitting of a trip like this.

And again, as we walked back... we saw all the snowmobiles lined up... as if waiting for their next fun ride.

5437017922_7288ec3f71_b.jpg

.. and for the Photographers, it was their first attempt at Sports Photography Snowmobile style.. erm... with Sony Nex 5, in SereneXMM's case.. hahaha....

5436397959_339de3d906_b.jpg

Last edited:
After Snowmobiling... what else is good to do?
Snow fighting lah!

Now, as for the snow-fighting thingy, Haha... I think being people living in the tropics for too long, we all can't be blamed for grabbing whatever opportunities we have to play with snow.
Snow fighting must be something that is rarely seen in Hokkaido... but only participated by Sua-Koo Singaporeans going that for that first time... Hahaha...

5437042026_4de203e7c9_z.jpg

5436438461_619dd089c1_z.jpg

5437179672_049bce7543_z.jpg

5437192456_915050a5db_z.jpg

So FUN, right??!!

Last edited:
Bro, Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your pics and your writeup as always. This series is especially heartwarming!

i really enjoy your posting it new experience to me, it mean alot for me cause i went there 1 year ago , now u just refresh my memory FANTASTIC.

limwhow, love your photos and the humor in them :) brings back memories and a reminder to plan for my next trip.
simonsng, thank you for your compliments.
I am sure as one who has been to Hokkaido before, you'd have experienced all these and more. Yah... I know of many people who kept going back to Hokkaido again and again...

Bro, Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed your pics and your writeup as always. This series is especially heartwarming!
Brother daredevil123, hey it's really great to have you up here on the thread!
And many many thanks for your encouragement. 'Heartwarming' - wow! I never thought of it this way, you know..
Well, it takes a person who is warm in heart to use such a lovely word to describe my photos!
Thank you thank you!

i really enjoy your posting it new experience to me, it mean alot for me cause i went there 1 year ago , now u just refresh my memory FANTASTIC.
andysim65, many many thanks for coming on board and to share with me your feedback.
Yes, memory is such a powerful thing... the mere sight, the mere sound, the mere smell...
... everything is memory evoking.
And every one of us is formed by experiences built through memories.
That is what I hope to be able to past on to my children - the memories of the Times of their lives.

Thks for sharing your travelogue! I'm sure in times to come, not only are we able enjoy it, you will enjoy it too. That is the beauty of photos...capturing families, friends, love ones and memories.