Hobby - Photography: Only for those with $$$?

Hobby - Photography: Is it ONLY for those with $$$?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FiveIronFrenzy said:
No. I started photography back when I was getting $2 a day for lunch.
Save money to buy film, shoot the roll, save money to develope and print.

:eek: poor thing... admire your patience & determinations. Makes shooting of every photo valuable.

This thread say no need $$$. There is another thread where one member asking for petition to know nikon direction so that he can invest 'correctly!

No lah, not true.

See, I am perpetually broke, and yet I still enjoy photography! :lovegrin:

(Hmm, wait a minute. Or is it because I enjoy photography that's why I am perpetually broke?) :think:

kevyan said:
As a hobby, is photography only for those who has $$$?

Those who earn little "$$$" and have to work very hard just to survive, do they have the time to pursue a hobby like photography? And those without "$$$", could they afford the time and money to pursue both photography and surf the web to participate in this poll?

It's easy to say money/time is not important if you are short of neither.

benny said:
No. I don't think so. But all hobbies will need some money.

However, I'll say that over here at clubsnap, a lot of folks into photography as a hobby certainly seems to have $$$. They are alway buying the latest gear and also dumping them at a fraction of the price.

Cheers,

Haha,look around more and interact..this will show you that there are some who love buying equipment and there are those who rather concentrate on perfecting their craft.:bsmilie:

Yes, it's for those with $$. Either you spend $$ on your equipment, or you spend $$ on film & processing or memory cards and software, printing, models, studio rentals, lighting, courses, overseas trips to get pictures of a lifetime, etc. Or sometimes, both...

To a certain extent yes.

No doubt a simple PnS can produce award winning photos. But at the same time, the winning photos are often well within the parameters of the PnS.

Take a sports event for example. If the contest requirement is 'action' photos, is the PnS up to mark? On other hand, if the contest's theme is say 'day to day life' or 'landscape' for example, is the PnS up to mark?

Ultimately whether you need $$ depends a lot on your style of shooting. Normal day to day shooting e.g. blogging style. Ok.

If you are into fashion show, exhibitions, concerts then how to survive w/o decent telephoto lens and body?

As a hobbyist, it is possible to make fantastic pictures with a cheap camera. To illustrate, I just saw one such picture yesterday at my cardiac doctor office. The pic shows golden evening light on a huge grouper he caught off Mersing. Five people were holding it, staggering under its weight, smiling, in a boat. Everything was beautiful - mood, exposure, compostition, details, moment sharpness, dof etc.

He whispered that he shot it with a 'cheapo' $175 film camera bought 12 years ago. But he has 'upgraded' to an expensive Panasonic FZ something something that I missed hearing. My attention was on the mounted photo - wishing that I shot that.....

I agree with Topgun. If you are a pro, your clients may not be shooting a beautiful grouper in golden light.

Well, yes and no. Photography, like almost any other hobby, requires at least some money to get started. Unless an old camera falls off the back of a truck and comes to you FOC, but in working condition, and film is also easily nicked off some generous person, FOC.

Or unless you wish to collect bottle caps, matchboxes and seashells, something which I tried to do when I was younger.

That's not to say that photography is very expensive and only meant for the richest of folks. Even a cheap, fixed lens compact film camera will take good photos in good light conditions.

Now with the advent of digital, there's probably plenty of older film cameras out there that sell for very little, and represent remarkable value.

Before the conversion to dslr for many years I was using a second-hand less than $150 Canon AE1 bought from a pawn shop. The film counter didn't work and I had to reach the end of the roll to know it. It had a bulge at the bottom making it unsteady when mounted on a tripod. I stuck a piece of circular rubber on it.

You could buy an el cheapo if your budget is limited and your passion is greater than the depth of your pocket and learn to live within the limitations of your equipments or use the limitions to your creative advantage. There are people spending money to import a toy lens to produce blurry vignetted effect on their dslr.

And there are ways to make photography pay for itself turning it into a less expensive or even profitable hobby without having to starve to buy a CF card.

Cameras are getting better, easier to use and cheaper. Because of digital photography and internet technology the world could be now your market. Such democratisation of photography has made a small-timer amature like me who turns his home into a virtual small business possible. :bsmilie:

Sion said:
Before the conversion to dslr for many years I was using a second-hand less than $150 Canon AE1 bought from a pawn shop. The film counter didn't work and I had to reach the end of the roll to know it. It had a bulge at the bottom making it unsteady when mounted on a tripod. I stuck a piece of circular rubber on it.
I started photography with a $35.00 Kodak instantmatic, when I was primary three.
My first SLR is a hand me down Pentax Sportmatic F with 35mm, 50mm and a 105mm.
I bought my first SLR is a Nikon FM, only $350, and a 105mm for $280.

If anyone think that you need to own a lot of equitment, and need to buy the best type of gears, nothing wrong with this. But if a simple piece of camera can let you enjoy photography, have great fun of producing pictures them you like and happy about it, why not just be it this way?

anything can be expensive or cheap if you want it to be

for a DSLR user -> can be very expensive hobby
for a pro-consumer & PNS camera user -> not a expensive hobby

I guess it comes down to what you need compared to what you want.

I started photography a few months ago, got an FM2n 2nd hand that came along with a 50 f1.8 with help from parents. And it was only recently that I got myself a zoom lens.

Between that timeframe, and even now, occasional bouts of 'I want this!' and 'I want that!' surfaced. I wanted stuff like a tripod, MD-12, more lenses, stuff like that. But do I really need these? Can I still improve myself without them? Yes, of course I can.

I guess my next purchase would be an auto-focus SLR like the F4 or F5. 2nd hand, of course. And that would be ONLY when I can't proceed into the field of photography which I love because of limitations of what my camera can do.

My 1st camera came FOC. Built into my skull - 1 pair of eyes and brain. :angel: Nowadays, my lens degrade a bit, got to wear specs. :eek:

To some extend yes. About 12++ years ago, I saved almost a year to get my first Nikon601. Use it to shoot mostly casual shots and potraits. months later a few cheap Tokina and sigma zoom lens come in. Used it for happily for about 2 years until it was stolen during a break-in to my house. Since then, I cant afford another camera so my photography skill goes down the drain. 2 years back got a FOC minolta 7000 set from a friend and use it along with a P&S digital camera. Then this year with some extra $$$ from sgpools, manage to get the 350D to restart, I mean getting more serious in my hobby again. Now every additional equipment I need to buy have to be sure I need it and will go the cost effective ones.

However with todays compact P&S cameras, one can take very goosd pictures already.

If you are talking about people who make photography a hobby it does not need to be expensive... The majority of people who have answered yes to this poll are probably making "keeping up with technology" a hobby... they are normally the ones who put there equipment in their signature!! :bsmilie:

I do not agree, when you enjoy the photo more than the equipment, I agree when you are a camera collector. Just like my late father buy so many camera and accessories now past down nobody border to make use, wasted all the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.