Help - Difficult to choose - NEX-5 or C3?

mindeyes

Jul 15, 2011
Had the GF1 with 14-140 for a year. Works great but low light performance still a problem with ISO above 800.

Wanting to get a NEX and almost decided it would be a NEX-5 until last night at SonyStyle and had a chance to hold the C3 - it also seem good. Appreciate any suggestion on the following NEX-5 vs C3:

NEX-5:
Pros:
better grip, seem better quality "feel"/built; and same size sensor with lesser pixel (so each pixel size slighter big and suppose to be good for picking up light)
Cons:
almost 1 year old, slightly more expensive

NEX-C3:
Pros:
new model, slightly cheaper
Cons:
smaller grip so not as good to hold, build quality is good but does not have the feel of the NEX-5

Both very close and difficult to decide. Any suggestion? My key concern is performance in low light situation (as I don't like to use flash)

Also didn't really like the kit lens and wondering if can get the package of just body+SEL18200.

Can anyone point me to where to get the best deal and who might be selling the body+SEL18200 (with the pancake and 18-55)?

Many thanks.

Try Paris Silk

I would definitely get the C3. It has the incredible Sony Exmor 16 MP sensor. Its the best sensor you can buy for low light on par with some 5kg full frame cameras. Here are 2 samples I took in the past few days. However do note that I'm not using a Sony lens, but two Pentax primes that cost about $1,500 each using a adapter. However, you can judge the C3 sensor's ability in low light from the first shot.

Dim outdoor shot of Marmite Chicken in an open air car park at night
5940488250_a1e1c218df_b.jpg

Botanic gardens this morning
5945511790_a377664d29_b.jpg

Both cameras performed well at high ISO although i heard the NEX-C3 image quality is even better since its using the same sensor as the D7000.

I would recommend that you try asking the reputable shops such as MS color, SLR revolution for their prices.

the new generation NEX-5E is rumored to come this August

Thanks to everyone for the inputs. Now leaning more to C3 but would see what the NEX-5E will look like before buying since I am not in a hurry.

get the NEX5. the build is better and grip better for guys as well...

unless you're the type who likes cute stuff :D

Wait for the NEX-5N. :)

unless you're the type who likes cute stuff :D

Actually hor, at the C3 launch party the hot pink was the most popular, even among the guys. :p

Yah if you able to get NEX-5 dual kit less than $1299 or even the price range of $1099 as NEX-C3 dual kit. Yes go ahead and get NEX-5 otherwise need to consider harder.

Yah if you able to get NEX-5 dual kit less than $1299 or even the price range of $1099 as NEX-C3 dual kit. Yes go ahead and get NEX-5 otherwise need to consider harder.

That's RRP. Who on earth buys Sony stuff at RRP? We get much better deals from the shops, and you can get a NEX-5 dual kit for about 1k on the BnS.

Actually hor, at the C3 launch party the hot pink was the most popular, even among the guys. :p

:eek:

now that's the new direction of singapore males.

Hot pink noooo!
But I like the red one (NEX-3) ... unfortunately NEX-5 doesn't come in red so I end up with silver.
I suppose NEX-C3 will come with similar multi-color offer just like NEX-3, so for some people it's an advantage over NEX-5 (only in black/silver/gold).

That's RRP. Who on earth buys Sony stuff at RRP? We get much better deals from the shops, and you can get a NEX-5 dual kit for about 1k on the BnS.

I think the better deal for NEX-5 back then was around $1150. I suggesting that if brand new can get below $1099, definitely get NEX-5. Maybe you can share your lobang if you can get brand new for that price:)

I think a few days ago I read somebody reporting sony style is doing promotion for NEX5D for 999?

I think the better deal for NEX-5 back then was around $1150. I suggesting that if brand new can get below $1099, definitely get NEX-5. Maybe you can share your lobang if you can get brand new for that price:)

I think a few days ago I read somebody reporting sony style is doing promotion for NEX5D for 999?

Wow $999 is really a good price:) Still available?

Sort of decided on a Nex-5 because better grip, faster fps (useful for F1:), IR remote, build .... So was having lunch at Sembawang and drop by L***y S***e and the deal for the NEX-5 with 18-55 lens is below $1k (very close too :). The 18-200 alone is just above $1k. I was hoping to get NEX-5 with 18-200 (without the kit lens) but it's not available. Does anyone have a source for that.