Help~ Can't decide on lens~

well u can either bring a laptop down, or take the pics go back review, than only purchase ya lens later....:)

Lol~ I now think Tamron is btr after seeing some sample images~

i am using kit lens 18-55 its very good for all kind of photo taking session but 55mm is not enough for me.
i did try on EF-S 55-250mm at bird park for bird shooting and the outcome is awesome.
Recently i borrow my fren's 24-105mm F4 L and the picture quality will be better compare to
kit lens 18-55mm. Afterall, you need to know what kind of photo u wanted to take to decide what kind of lens u want to buy.

Oh ok~ Of course the 'L' is sharper than kit lens lah XD
Anyways, I hv now settled on the 55-250mm and the Tamron lens.
Thanks to all who helped! :)

Oh ok~ Of course the 'L' is sharper than kit lens lah XD
Anyways, I hv now settled on the 55-250mm and the Tamron lens.
Thanks to all who helped! :)

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

now go get em lenses and shoot till u drop.... enjoy

Hmm... Is Tamron sharper than Canon? My fren, an expert, says that Canon lenses are sharper than Tamron's, although if it is just slightly sharper, the Tamron with its 2.8f would be a btr option~
Such generic statements only reveal the 'expertness' of your friend ...
Every maker has it's gems and .. less good models. Canon is not different here. All makers also have their sharp copies and those who need corrections.
Tamron 17-50 is a good recommendation, used by many here. Also note that most lenses work best (read: are sharpest) when used with at least one stop down. Compare Tamron (then f/4) with kit lens (then f/8), the difference is clear.

Yeah, but I can't get my hands on both lenses! The only way I can get both is by testing them out at a camera shop and I cannot view the quality on a pc in a camera shop~ I will only leave the camera shop with one lens!~

Maybe u can rent both lens to try it out?

Ermm... I'm still considering what lens to buy...
I hv one question...
Is the difference in quality of 'kit lens' standard and those +- $800-1000 lens very large? If you have photos to compare the 2 it would be awesome~

Thx dude
Your reply totally helped
Really hope to see more of such replies

I shot this using a 18-55 kit lens.
3664382867_4b0b4f7e65_o.jpg

This is shot this using a 55-200 lens.
3928553709_334de72832_o.jpg

Hmm... Is Tamron sharper than Canon? My fren, an expert, says that Canon lenses are sharper than Tamron's, although if it is just slightly sharper, the Tamron with its 2.8f would be a btr option~

I shot this using a Tamron 17-50/2.8
4001057260_c6958f483a_o.jpg

Sharp or not you decide. I think your friend is not much of an expert.

Such generic statements only reveal the 'expertness' of your friend ...
Every maker has it's gems and .. less good models. Canon is not different here. All makers also have their sharp copies and those who need corrections.
Tamron 17-50 is a good recommendation, used by many here. Also note that most lenses work best (read: are sharpest) when used with at least one stop down. Compare Tamron (then f/4) with kit lens (then f/8), the difference is clear.

Oops. I rephrased it abit. What he said was that he finds that majority of Tamron lenses are not as sharp as their Canon counterparts =.="

Oops. I rephrased it abit. What he said was that he finds that majority of Tamron lenses are not as sharp as their Canon counterparts =.="

well we already give our thought base on ur situation, if u still emphasis on ur baseless fear that tamron is not as sharp as canon because of what ur "expert" friend said then just rent the tamron 17-50 f2.8 and borrow ur "expert" friend 17-55 f2.8 and compare urself then decide which lens u and ur wallet can life out with :bsmilie:

Every lens maker have their 'star' lenses and their 'duds'.

Canon have made some lousy lenses in the past and so have Nikon...

try n feel it........no regret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your "fren" (I'm guessing you mean friend?) is not much of an "expert" if he says that. Sounds more like a fanboi. Reading a review done by actual experts would do you some good.

Besides the camera shops which sells lenses, if you want to try out lenses for at least a day, u can considering renting from www.camerarental.biz (near clarke quay area)

Somehow I sense a tinge of sacarsm in your reply.

I'm not sarcastic!!!
You ARE an awesome photographer!
Almost everyone on CS is XD

Bought the Tamron and Canon~
Not to impressed with the quality of the Canon though~
Will post some shots later~

Hmmm...

I think it is more the user than the camera.

agree with this lol :thumbsup:

sample pic of 55-250(edit the contrast a bit with picasa):
HHNjFIzn.jpeg

i'm quite happy with it and the truth that it's not L lens :D

Last edited:
hmmm... the orange figure looks soft. The silver figure look sharper. The sharpest point seems to be at the sword handle of the silver figure.

hmmm... the orange figure looks soft. The silver figure look sharper. The sharpest point seems to be at the sword handle of the silver figure.

actually both objects are sharp i think i edit to much on the shadows and highlight :p

A sample shot by the 55-250mm
Settings: Av mode
Max ISO: 1600
Aperture: f8.0
Slightly cropped
You can't even see the details on the feathers!

5200653574_697ba3f9f0_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]