GX-1 compared to EP-3

it seems like gx1 has this yellowish issue, i think one of our clubsnap member mention too.
I have seen 5N having yellowish tint especially on skin tone. One of the strong point of Oly is delivering great looking OOC jpeg especially if you are shooting portraits.

You can always adjust these things PP but for peeps that just want to point, shoot and post / share on web, the ooc jpeg quality is more than good enough for most situation.

It pretty much comes down to what individual like as each has their strengths and weaknesses so its best to explore the camera's strength and work harder to compensate for its weaknesses.

GX1 is comparable to GH2, but GH2 still wins hand down. It can shoot on touch screen.

The inbuilt flash on the GX1 initially promises to be better. It could do bounce. With you "helping" it. Then you start using it. I've used it in "Custom", iA, A, P etc modes. I have tried to change settings for it. It is an entirely inflexible flash compare to the EP3's. There are only 2 main settings - "Forced Flash ON" and "Slow Sync", with/without Red-Eye reduction. The other setting is "Flash Syn" 1 or 2 curtain. There is also a separate "Flash EV+/-". It has a GN7.6 at ISO160 with X-sync to 1/160s.

On the EP3, there is this wonderful setting that you can use if in doubt and even when not in doubt for most of the pics that you think a flash is needed called, "AUTO". Which is sorely missed in the GX1. I can't imagine, why the GX1's main mode is called "Forced Flash ON".

There is this other mode on the EP3 called "Fill-in Flash". And "Full Manual" with 6 different levels of power settings to 1/64 if you think you can do a better job than the camera. And of course the EP3 has the 1 or 2 curtain sync. And all the different Red-Eye reduction modes. And Flash Bracketing. And I am not even into the systemic possibilities with other compatible flash units, especially wirelessly.

How does the flashes function in practice? The EP3 gives absolutely great results in most situation within its limitation of GN10 at ISO200 to 1/180s. With its fixed position and set at Auto, it functions adequately for all those times when just a nice exposure is needed for record purposes, if not for artistic use. In summary it functions better than most compact cameras.

I am still messing around with the GX1's flash. Maybe someone here can point me to an easier way to achieve decent pics with the GX1's flash. Pics are overexposed and WB also tends to be out, with a pale, and slightly reddish tinge. On any mode, even iA. Bounce? Hmmm ….more hit and miss. And miss more than hit. Personally the GX1's flash has been a disaster to me, considering that most decent compact cameras seem to be able to achieve a better output. Hopefully this is something that a firmware fix can sort out. Just give me a decent "Auto" mode instead of this "Forced Flash ON" stuff.

I must agree with u that I am also still messing around with the GX1's flash. I gave up using flash when using P, A, S or M mode. I just can't get it right. So I focus on iA when using flash. I understand that why you're not happy with this "Forced Flash ON" stuff. I am also a point and shoot person at times. Even my D7000 can auto pop up its flash in its "AUTO" mode when needed. I think Panasonic feels that the camera is able to take pictures in most of the low light conditions, so it didn't bother to auto pop up its flash for this camera. I have used the Leica D-Lux5 and its flash is also "Forced Flash ON". Is it a Panasonic thing?

I am still messing around with the GX1's flash. Maybe someone here can point me to an easier way to achieve decent pics with the GX1's flash. Pics are overexposed and WB also tends to be out, with a pale, and slightly reddish tinge. On any mode, even iA. Bounce? Hmmm ….more hit and miss. And miss more than hit. Personally the GX1's flash has been a disaster to me, considering that most decent compact cameras seem to be able to achieve a better output. Hopefully this is something that a firmware fix can sort out. Just give me a decent "Auto" mode instead of this "Forced Flash ON" stuff.

Honestly, comparing cameras invoke countless emotions because people do not like to be told they just wasted their money on an inferior product.

Both cameras have their pros and cons, but one would definitely wish that Olympus took up the 16MP sensor Panasonic is now using. Sure, Panasonic has ways to go to match Sony's sensors, but at least the 16MP is an improvement over the old 12MP sensor, which Olympus for reasons beyond me, except perhaps stubbornness, is still using.

EP3 again is the winner in this test.

typically if you shoot in RAW, you will be looking at extracting more detail and dynamic range out from the pics. the rest can be PP to get the effect and mood you like. and looking at the raw files, the 16mp does not really bring out more detail than 12mp, maybe m43 has already reached its peak if 25/1.4 cannot resolve more details out. no winner there i supposed but bigger files without more details is a good thing?

what is evident from the part 2 and part 3 reviews are the ooc jpegs from gx1 are less sharp, flat and also underexposed so you just have to shoot RAW for gx1 and PP your pics. No biggie for people intending to shoot in RAW but will be less ideal for people that is too lazy to do any PPing

Last edited:
Before it slips my mind .....

Best wishes to all the meaningful contributors here in this thread; Vulpix0r, Don Marcaroni, TangKF, Ouverture, rasdeep, iloveoly, watzzup, NazgulKing, fengwei, theITguy, arsene, icy2fire, pinholecam, mrekoj, jamestan75, senser, rocketatw, speedtest99, wonglp, st3v4nt, sin77, henry soh, 116520 ..... and other fellow clubsnappers and all guest readers .........

Have a great new year 2012 ahead and happy shooting :kiss::kiss::kiss:

I must agree with u that I am also still messing around with the GX1's flash. I gave up using flash when using P, A, S or M mode. I just can't get it right. So I focus on iA when using flash. I understand that why you're not happy with this "Forced Flash ON" stuff. I am also a point and shoot person at times. Even my D7000 can auto pop up its flash in its "AUTO" mode when needed. I think Panasonic feels that the camera is able to take pictures in most of the low light conditions, so it didn't bother to auto pop up its flash for this camera. I have used the Leica D-Lux5 and its flash is also "Forced Flash ON". Is it a Panasonic thing?

I can do without the auto pop up feature ...... But even if I manually pop up the flash, I still feel there is something amiss in the overall flash implementation - it is supposed to be a TTL Auto Flash but doesn't behave like one ....... can't be very "Auto" if the closest mode is "Forced Flash ....." :confused:

typically if you shoot in RAW, you will be looking at extracting more detail and dynamic range out from the pics. the rest can be PP to get the effect and mood you like. and looking at the raw files, the 16mp does not really bring out more detail than 12mp, maybe m43 has already reached its peak if 25/1.4 cannot resolve more details out. no winner there i supposed but bigger files without more details is a good thing?

what is evident from the part 2 and part 3 reviews are the ooc jpegs from gx1 are less sharp, flat and also underexposed so you just have to shoot RAW for gx1 and PP your pics. No biggie for people intending to shoot in RAW but will be less ideal for people that is too lazy to do any PPing
If people wanted more resolution, the testers would have gone with the 45/2.8. Of course that lens would invoke cries of "too expensive" yada yada yada.

Honestly, comparing cameras invoke countless emotions because people do not like to be told they just wasted their money on an inferior product.

Both cameras have their pros and cons, but one would definitely wish that Olympus took up the 16MP sensor Panasonic is now using. Sure, Panasonic has ways to go to match Sony's sensors, but at least the 16MP is an improvement over the old 12MP sensor, which Olympus for reasons beyond me, except perhaps stubbornness, is still using.

Personally, if there is any 10 MP sensor displaying good DR and high ISO sensitivity around, I would be more than happy to stick with it.

Just that, it seems to the marketing people, there is demand for higher MP ...... maybe Oly did evaluate the 16 MP and felt happy to stick with the 12MP sensor ...... just maybe. Or maybe it is a Panny decision .....just saying :cool:

In terms of MP, the only obvious advantage to higher MP, taking into consideration that everything else remains equal (DR, sensitivity etc), is a bigger picture. At 6MP, most monitors are already overwhelmed. Hence the only obvious advantage is the ability to crop without significant loss of resolution.

Panasonic flash is not good compared to the Olympus. The Forced On Flash is actually a fill-in. I have the GF1/GH1/GX1 and all have the same problems. My XZ1 takes great flash pictures.

My wish list for the next Panny cam - use the Oly flash system and have a built-in viewfinder.

Panasonic flash is not good compared to the Olympus. The Forced On Flash is actually a fill-in. I have the GF1/GH1/GX1 and all have the same problems. My XZ1 takes great flash pictures.

My wish list for the next Panny cam - use the Oly flash system and have a built-in viewfinder.

Actually back in the early days of 4/3 and m4/3 Panny licensed the flash system from Olympus.. But they did not license all the protocols I believe, hence you still dont get remote flash on Panny..etc.. flash on the lumix G cameras leave lots to be desired. i have to manually tweak my camera and flash settings all the time, even though its supposed to be TTL.. this is one frustration i have vs Nikon's rock solid Flash implementation..

Last edited:
guys... so whats the advantage of pana m43 system over the oly's then??... been hearing about oly's strengths... lets hear about pana's?? (besides high iso noise performances)... hee... pardon me, i have short experiences with m43 system...

blurboiboi said:
guys... so whats the advantage of pana m43 system over the oly's then??... been hearing about oly's strengths... lets hear about pana's??... hee... pardon me, i have short experiences with m43 system...

Better sensor, better high iso, power ois is better for longer focal lengths, much better video control, better video lenses, better touch screen implementation, IMO better menu system, flippy screen on gh2, g3, better NR , extra tele converter mode,

Last edited:
Better sensor, better high iso, power ois is better for longer focal lengths, much better video control, better video lenses, better touch screen implementation, IMO better menu system, flippy screen on gh2, g3, better NR , extra tele converter mode,

i am both a olympus and Panasonic user. have epl1, ep3, GF1, G3 and GX1.

here is my opinion on Olympus
better colour,
nicer OOC jpeg,
built in image stabilser well implemented for both short and long focal length.
Reliable metering and white balance
better video output with the new models like ep3
Hugely customizable and flexible controls
soft touch screen on ep3, can take pic easily rather than press hard.
Wide range of Art Filter effects encourages creative experimentation
international warranty.