GX-1 compared to EP-3

anyone know which Best Denki or HN or courts that having a GX1 demo set displayed?

Interestingly (but not surprising) that Steve Huff came up with about the same conclusions.
Pretty sound conclusions to me. There just isn't a really 'bad' camera out there nowadays :D
Oddly, his gripes on the GX1 are all fixed on a G3 (mainly no EVF for the price); though he's never seemed to take notice or like the G3. :think:

My final thoughts on the Panasonic GX1 vs E-P3 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

"If the GX1 was $599 Id say BUY IT NOW and consider it a steal. I also think the E-P3 should come down to $600 because today cameras like these SHOULD have an EVF built in. The V1 showed me this and I use the V1′s EVF 95% of the time. I think more and more cameras will be coming with fantastic EVF’s (Fuji X-Pro 1) and any camera in the $800 and up price range that doesn’t is asking for trouble. For example, if Leica releases an X2 without a built in EVF there will be plenty of bitching and moaning because we all know an X2 will not be cheap.

So to sum it up, the GX1 is a great little Micro 4/3 camera. It is a much better successor to the GF1 than the GF2 and GF3 by far and has the latest Micro 4/3 sensor technology. But for those wanting to get into Micro 4/3 then you have choices and in the enthusiast camp, it is mainly between the GX1 and E-P3. You have to decide what you desire more. Both come in at the same price right now with their kit lenses and both can mount the Olympus or Panasonic or ANY Micro 4/3 lens. Either way, if you own the E-P3, I would stick with it. If you own a GX1, that is great too. Both have their pros and cons and both can deliver fantastic images.

The Olympus Pros vs the GX1

* Better out of camera color
* Better body feel (in my opinion)
* Better LCD and Touch screen implementation
* In body Image Stabilization
* AF is just as fast as the new GX1
* Buttons and dials feel more solid than the GX1
* Art Filters

The Panasonic GX1 Pros vs the E-P3

* Thinner and sleeker
* Better high ISO performance
* More resolution – 16MP vs 12MP
* New sensor technology
* HD Video a bit better on the GX1
"

The firmware upgrade 1.1 has done something to the AWB ....... I get better colours indoor now ..... am resetting all my settings back to default :think:

Autofocusing for both camera was fast under good light. Unfortuantely, I find that the EP-3 had was very much slower in focusing under dimly lited condition and many times I had misfocused shots as well. The GX1 fared significantly better, almost spot on and still pretty fast under such conditions. Sad to say, I missed several shots....e.g when I was trying to shoot a monkey up on Chang-Bai Shan. I missed the shot as the EP-3 focused too slowly. My friend got the shot with his Gx1.........

The more I use the GX1, the more impressed I am by its AF. Especially in low light and for macro work. The AF is more "spot on" than the EP3 though the speed difference is not that obvious.

Interestingly (but not surprising) that Steve Huff came up with about the same conclusions.

My final thoughts on the Panasonic GX1 vs E-P3 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The Olympus Pros vs the GX1

* Better out of camera color
* Better body feel (in my opinion)
* Better LCD and Touch screen implementation
* In body Image Stabilization
* AF is just as fast as the new GX1
* Buttons and dials feel more solid than the GX1
* Art Filters
After using the GX-1 for 2 months, I have to disagree on several points here.

- the GX-1 feels different. And may actually handle better than the EP-3. Esp with one hand.
- the LCD for customization in the GX-1 is definitely superior to the EP3. Once fully customized, the GX-1 is more intuitive than the EP-3.
- AF MAY be just as fast BUT the AF IS DEFINITELY more spot on in the GX-1. I get more out of focus shots with the EP 3. With macro, the GX-1 wins hand down, esp with their pin point focus mode. Even better than MOST mirrored dSLRs. In low light, the GX-1 performs better. Only downside of e GX-1 has to be the position of the LED focusing light.
- the GX-1 feels way more solid on the control front than the EP3. One of the crappiest thing about the EP3 has to be the extremely loose rotating dial on the back instead of the GX-1 4 buttons selectors.

The rest of the points, I kinda agree.

Last edited:
Is there an option to disable or turn off the touch screen on the GX1 temporarily ?

Thanks !

:cool:

yes, i just learnt yesterday.

is on top of your touch screen FN 3 & 4.

hope this helps

- the LCD for customization in the GX-1 is definitely superior to the EP3. Once fully customized, the GX-1 is more intuitive than the EP-3
can share how is your GX1 customized?

can share how is your GX1 customized?

Fn2: AE Lock
Fn1: Metering Mode
QMenu Row1: Photo Style, Flash+/-, OIS, AWB, with one spare slot.
QMenu Row2: Picture Setting, Quality, IR, IDynamic

Movie and iA already direct buttons on top. Same as AF L with shutter release half press.

Other direct buttons includes ISO, WB, Self Timer and AF Mode on 4 buttons Selectors as well as AF/MF Direct button.

Touch Screen Fn3: EX Teleconverter.
Touch Screen Fn4: Digital Zoom.

To be honest some of the functions are very rarely used, e.g. Digital zoom. There are just so many places to customize but the main picture taking functions can all be directly accessed.

Last edited:
Got the EP3 within first week of launch, and the GX1 within 48 hours of launch in SG. These are just some impressions as I use the GX1.

My first impression made when finalising the deal at the counter of your friendly local dealer:

Me: "How much is a spare battery?".
Dealer: "How many you want?".
Me: "How much you selling?"
D (turning to colleague): "Hey, S, GX1 use what battery-ah?".
S, picking up a battery and handing over to D. D, looking at price tag: "$101".
M ( :bigeyes:) : "Thank you. Just camera first, ok".

The price for a body of the GX-1 costs around $800, including a battery. And a separate battery for it costs $100. Totally-out-of-this-world pricing.

BTW the battery don't last any longer than the EP3. As for the Lumix charger, when charging the LED lights up "Green". When finished charging, it goes out (no light). I personally don't think this is the most logical way to design a charger. When I first put the battery in the charger and it lighted green, my thoughts were that the battery is charged (green-mah, green for GO, OK, READY, HOOT-ah). And then when I looked again after a while, and no more light, the first thing I checked was whether the charger was plugged in and switched on. And then still wondered whether charger spoiled or not.

I guess the only way to really check whether battery is charged or not is to put into the camera, switch it on and look for the battery bars. With Oly, just put battery in charger and wait for appropriate light. I guess this little feature will come and haunt me when I have 3 batteries (who goes on trips with only one battery?) ....and wondering which one is ready ...

For this, Oly wins hands down. Cheap-cheap-cheap batteries (both original and extremely compatible third party). And a logical charger. Amber LED for not fully charged battery that turns a really stylo-mylo blue when fully charged. No ambiguity and so reassuring!

To be fair to Lumix, the battery fits more reassuringly into the camera's compartment. 4 months after using the EP3, I still get to put the battery wrongly into the camera.

From my first impression while buying the GX-1 .....and after following on the EM-5 for a while ..... and thinking maybe I'll still be using the GX-1 for some months more, I bought 2 batteries from here:

DMW-BLD10E Battery Pack for Panasonic Digital Cameras - $38.00 : SHOP.ID.SG, Quality Battery Packs

It cost only $38 each and further discount if 2 or more bought at the same time. So far it works as per original. On the original charger. And displays battery bars in the GX-1 as well :heart: :heart:

For Ep3, how do you customize the buttons. What do you assign to what?

I'm using this OEM battery, but the battery indicator in the camera seems inaccurate. It stays full for very long, then reduce from 3 bars to empty very quickly (around 15-30mins) with the LCD screen on.

Do you also encounter this?

From my first impression while buying the GX-1 .....and after following on the EM-5 for a while ..... and thinking maybe I'll still be using the GX-1 for some months more, I bought 2 batteries from here:

DMW-BLD10E Battery Pack for Panasonic Digital Cameras - $38.00 : SHOP.ID.SG, Quality Battery Packs

It cost only $38 each and further discount if 2 or more bought at the same time. So far it works as per original. On the original charger. And displays battery bars in the GX-1 as well :heart: :heart:

the pic show the same battery. but...
dmw-bld10e is only USD10, shipped... here as compared to SGD38 at shop.id.sg

anybody bought any dmw-bld10e from ebay?

For Ep3, how do you customize the buttons. What do you assign to what?

You'll find the customisation for the EP-3 more limited. Certain functions can only be assigned to certain buttons. Unlike the GX-1.

The only certain function that I assigned was to change the "Movie" button into AEL. After all if I need Movie, I can always just use the dial. The rest of the functions were changed every once in a while because I couldn't find a completely satisfactory fit.

I'm using this OEM battery, but the battery indicator in the camera seems inaccurate. It stays full for very long, then reduce from 3 bars to empty very quickly (around 15-30mins) with the LCD screen on.

Now that I have been using the OEM batteries for a while .....yes, the battery bars tend to drop very fast towards the end. Probably not 15 min though ....I guess it depends on usage patterns :)

I also find the original Lumix battery tends to last a little longer but then for $38 compare to $100 ....I am not actually complaining :lovegrin:

Buy from Taiwan on eBay. I bought a few pieces and sold it to some Clubsnappers here. 101% original battery and cheaper by 30 bucks.