Gracious society...

Status
Not open for further replies.
tourists oso kenna?! :bsmilie:

There are 2 types of them..

One made the place more gracious the other make the place worst.

But both bring in $$$$$$

There are 2 types of them..

One made the place more gracious the other make the place worst.

But both bring in $$$$$$

true lah, those who litter will say it generates & maintain the cleaners' ricebowl. :rolleyes:

true lah, those who litter will say it generates & maintain the cleaners' ricebowl. :rolleyes:

Ha... never think of that. Why let them do the job.. let us generate job opportunity!!!!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Ha... never think of that. Why let them do the job.. let us generate job opportunity!!!!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

most food outlets already we self serve, own self queue own self take the meals to our tables. that time stall owners cite the high cost* of serving customers. the self serve culture lead to the reserve seats with tissue packet culture. where in the past when customers just place order & wait at the table till the food arrives, there was (almost) no need to haggle over a seat.

if cost is a major bugbear, the operators should just say so. to disguise it as a form of ungracious society is :rolleyes:.... now, would u be gracious enough to help defray other business costs?.... :bsmilie:

*for busy stalls that were very short-handed during peak lunch & dinner hours, thus employing extra staff to serve.

most food outlets already we self serve, own self queue own self take the meals to our tables. that time stall owners cite the high cost* of serving customers. the self serve culture lead to the reserve seats with tissue packet culture. where in the past when customers just place order & wait at the table till the food arrives, there was (almost) no need to haggle over a seat.

if cost is a major bugbear, the operators should just say so. to disguise it as a form of ungracious society is :rolleyes:.... now, would u be gracious enough to help defray other business costs?.... :bsmilie:

*for busy stalls that were very short-handed during peak lunch & dinner hours, thus employing extra staff to serve.

They will do all possible to get the extras... so let them do the dirty job. shall we leave more behind?:bsmilie::bsmilie:

bring back tipping? good for staff who earn meagre wages. :think:

So you will have aunties and uncles standing beside you when you are dining. They will rush to clear your table and demand ... from you. No ... no clearing of tables..:bsmilie:

Just to side track.

I think it will be better to leave the tray for the cleaner to pick up. But just don't dirty the table. Make it easier for them to clean up.

NEA statement never guarantee that their job is a safe keep, especially when recession is here and everybody is cutting cost and downsizing. These cleaner need more reasons to retain their job.

Skip roughly to 6 mins,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T463nFtg3tg

There are a lot of poor old citizen in Singapore. They need a job in order to survive.

I always tip the guy at the service station who puts petrol into my car? Does anyone else do that? It always makes those uncles smile so I am happy to do it.

I always tip the guy at the service station who puts petrol into my car? Does anyone else do that? It always makes those uncles smile so I am happy to do it.

thats a rare act itself. ups for u, as most (me included) people see no need to pay extra.

let businesses work out how best to do things, i feel there's something :devil: about these in/actions linked so casually to S'poreans being gracious or not.

recently the article about local bus service goof up for not being able to board a WAB bus. wad does it make of us? those gracious enough should have compensated those affected by these honest mistakes...

thats a rare act itself. ups for u, as most (me included) people see no need to pay extra.

I guess where I come from, I have the hassle of pumping the petrol myself so I see this as an extra service and it's worth $2 each time.

I guess where I come from, I have the hassle of pumping the petrol myself so I see this as an extra service and it's worth $2 each time.

It is individual's choice.

I do during CNY.

Just to side track.

I think it will be better to leave the tray for the cleaner to pick up. But just don't dirty the table. Make it easier for them to clean up.

NEA statement never guarantee that their job is a safe keep, especially when recession is here and everybody is cutting cost and downsizing. These cleaner need more reasons to retain their job.

Skip roughly to 6 mins,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T463nFtg3tg

There are a lot of poor old citizen in Singapore. They need a job in order to survive.

I agree with you.

Let's not throw the tissue paper, bones etc on the table. Put them in the tray. It makes their job easlier and the table is left clear for the next user when the tray is removed!

u must read between lines and paragraphs in what I write ... things are not always what they seems to be

High expectation = high disappointment

I always wanted to do it myself. But the helper is always around to help.

Think... do you ever encounter pple or group of ppl in Singapore who you think deserve to help make Singapore a "Gracious society" ?

I always wanted to do it myself. But the helper is always around to help.

well, you can always do what I do and tell the attendant that you'd like to do the top up of fuel yourself, and that they can go have a break (assuming the servo is empty at the point of time).

more often than not, they will be grateful for that. I doubt they get paid on a "number of cars you topped up" basis, and most of them have been on their feet for an extended period of time, not to mention into their shifts for some duration of time (assuming you're topping up fuel in the midst of their shift, not towards the end or the beginning of it).

besides, I'm used to topping it up myself. if there were such an attendant service in Australian servos, I'll be paying even more for my petrol! (labour charges here are awfully expensive!)

noticed that ppl are more gracious to ang moh then fellow asian?? hypocrite?

It will take us awhile to change the mindset.

Singaporean that goes overseas have the best treatment. e.g. in Australia. We are deemed to be very rich and spend like a luke.

Those Ang Moh who come to Singapore are also better o... So they have more to spend here. We should treat them better.

hmm... "Gracious society" sounds familiar... sort of heard about it long long time back... I thought it's already EOL'ed?

We have a long way to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.