goretex outdoor boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man..... unbelievable!!! :bigeyes:

People are selling their used Army gear. Some enterprising chaps are even selling new Army boots (probably bought with excess cash from reservist entitlements) :think:

Here's a thought......any of you guys think there's a secondary market for Kevlar army helmets? I've got three, yes, that's 3 of them at home. I keep telling them I've enough of them at home, but they seem to like dishing out new helmets.... :bsmilie:

OK, back on topic.....I find the new Army Gortex boot very comfortable. YMMV.

I've been told that Gortex got it's name from the person who discovered it. Seems like the chap's name was Gore, and he was a Texan. Hence GoreTex. Dunno if there's any truth to that :dunno:

Bernard

:think: regarding the SAF type.. is there other colours ? i dun want black lah.. same as army.

Be interesting to see SAF use different colours.

I've seen the Khaki ones used by the US Army on CNN.

Don't think the SAF will introduce "Spring" or "Summer" collection boots anytime soon :bsmilie:

Bernard

anyone has any experience with these type of boots?

i had a look at the goretex website and kinda like these few

any other recommendations other than the ones listed above? budget around S$180
SAF one. Ur turn will come and u will get sick of wearing those 2.

But heck, they kept my feet absolutely dry in a torrential rain when everyone else had soaked boots and wet socks!

That's SAF for u.

Excellent stuff!

These, the ankle high ones, and my goretex "overcoat" are my indispensable companions on hikes.

yes, damn super waterproof.
after u chiong sua awhile.... once water get in, never gonna get out! :bsmilie:

tats why u see so many stupid cases of foot rot.

so waht's the pt? water go in but will stay in..:D

There is no fool-proof shoes, or anything for that matter.

For its intended purpose, it is excellent.

No, no. That's not the idea.

With Goretex, the pores of the fibre allow water vapour to escape, but do not permit liquid water to enter. It's light, flexible, soft as cloth and waterproof. Of course, if you happen to get water inside the boot, the old method of getting the water out still applies :)

Bernard

goretex is just a fabric thats woven into the inner lining of the shoe. iv heard that the army one, when well worn, starts seeping water in. technically it should happen to all waterproof fabrics but it seems that the commercial brands hold better :dunno:

cost-wise, Hi-tec is a economical brand that is pretty functional and lightweight too. if not just stick to saf boots why not.

goretex fabrics are breathable yet keeps water out.

to know what breathable means.. you got to try what non-breathable means.. go buy a pair of waterproof pants(ala bikers rain pants) and you'll know the importance of 'breathable'

the point where water leaks is the joints and seams of the boots. The SAF goretex boots only uses goretex material and not fabricated by goretex. The jacket is a different story.

for me, the current SAF goretex boots :thumbsd:

sole too soft, cannot last in rocky terrain.

There is no fool-proof shoes, or anything for that matter.

For its intended purpose, it is excellent.

well, no matter how water-proof the boots are, there are still ways for water go get in. such as from ur pants, thinning sole of boots, until theres a small hole, etc...

if they can come up with something that wont let let water in, while water can flow out, that will be great! i believe thats how the tents work, right?

since every one say until so good, think next ict must go buy..

I got a pair of Timberland Hommes and wear to work everyday. It replaced an old pair of Timberland that lasted for close to 10 years!!! Even the seams were starting to wear off, it was still waterproof.

If you're getting the SAF GT boots, buy the leather boot with the GT as the GT boots with the half cordura has no ankle support resulting in many soldiers spraining their ankle.

If you're getting the SAF GT boots, buy the leather boot with the GT as the GT boots with the half cordura has no ankle support resulting in many soldiers spraining their ankle.
i'm mostly using it for outdoor walks, not much running or similar...so i think only 1 pair of boots is required?

i'm mostly using it for outdoor walks, not much running or similar...so i think only 1 pair of boots is required?

er.. do u mean u wan to buy SAF boots and treat them like treking boots ???

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.