Geotag: Nikon D200 Dawn Tech N2 di-GPS mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Extremely useful if you're in the amazon jungle or discovering the end of the earth. Then again, there's no street directory in those places. How?

We use a map and with the GPS coordinates, we locate it on the map.

Extremely useful if you're in the amazon jungle or discovering the end of the earth. Then again, there's no street directory in those places. How?

We use a map and with the GPS coordinates, we locate it on the map.

You can also load up to Topographical maps so that you don't have to carry a paper map then...

Geotag resource.

What is Geotagging ?

A good read from Nikonian website, page 7 of the PDF file.

http://www.nikona.org/downloads/eZine34.pdf

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bluetooth and wired solution.

Foolography.
http://www.foolography.com/home.php

Red Hen Systems Blue2CAN
https://ecommerce.redhensystems.com/pc-47-2-blue2can.aspx

JOBO photoGPS
http://www.jobo.com/jobo_digital/photogps/gb/index.html

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/...sy-gps-photo-tagging-to-the-masses-242701.php

Custom Idea
http://customidea.com/shop/index.php?cPath=38&osCsid=0c522b635d1619c2e72036af6af30ae0

Dawntech
http://www.dawntech.hk/di-GPS/index.htm

Solmeta
http://www.solmeta.com/en/

I wonder whether any of the GPS receivers now available is also able to provide bearing (i.e. direction). The latitude and longitude merely tell us where a photograph is taken but it does not show which direction the camera is pointed.

Any big diff??:think:
Their website isn't very informative. Talks about professional software but no details. I see the unit has selector switches, but no idea what they do.

The big difference between Solmeta's N1 and the others, from the limited info on the site, is that Solmeta's unit has a built-in battery.

Their N2 unit, which is apparently coming soon, will work on any camera with a flash hotshoe. No details on how this will be achieved. Probably doesn't tag photos directly but works like the Sony and Gisteq Phototracker. (Creates a tracklog which has to be downloaded to a computer, then software tags the photos based on matching timestamps.) That's just a guess though.

I believe that you'll need to buy the D300 if you also want to put the compass direction in the EXIF.

In the GPS section, you'll need to get a GPS that has the compass function from manufacturer like Garmin and you'll also need to mount the GPS on the hotshoe.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=252413

HTH.

I wonder whether any of the GPS receivers now available is also able to provide bearing (i.e. direction). The latitude and longitude merely tell us where a photograph is taken but it does not show which direction the camera is pointed.

I believe that you'll need to buy the D300 if you also want to put the compass direction in the EXIF.

In the GPS section, you'll need to get a GPS that has the compass function from manufacturer like Garmin and you'll also need to mount the GPS on the hotshoe.

http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=252413

HTH.

Yes, I am aware of it. I am using the D300 at the moment. Some of the GPS receivers already have the compass function, e.g. the Garmin eTrex Vista, but they are all too bulky unlike dedicated GPS receivers for camera like the N2 di-GPS Mini etc. I guess we will have to wait a little more before the compass feature is found in the newer mini-sized receivers.

Their website isn't very informative. Talks about professional software but no details. I see the unit has selector switches, but no idea what they do.

The big difference between Solmeta's N1 and the others, from the limited info on the site, is that Solmeta's unit has a built-in battery.

Their N2 unit, which is apparently coming soon, will work on any camera with a flash hotshoe. No details on how this will be achieved. Probably doesn't tag photos directly but works like the Sony and Gisteq Phototracker. (Creates a tracklog which has to be downloaded to a computer, then software tags the photos based on matching timestamps.) That's just a guess though.

Ok thks for the info....:thumbsup:

This is Bryan from Solmeta Technology. Thank you for your precious suggestions and thank you for caring of our product. I will add relative information of our product and software on our website soon.
As for our software, it is a feature-rich and easy-to-use digital photo software, that enables photographers to organize, edit and share photos flexibly. With our software, user can create professional Flash or web galleries, geo-tag photos with GPS and send photos to mobile phones as well as publish photo albums to internet. It can locating photos on map, link photos on Google Earth, generate KMZ or KML file, make google map gallery. It also has a GPS log manager function that can make the track of your photos.
As for the switches, to compare with di, we have a "inside" and a "camera". That is you can use the N1's independent battery or the camera's battery.
Our C1, sorry we have changed the name of the product, has the function just like a compass. It can tell you the direction, such as 45 degree to the north. And it is like some data logger. But it can fit directly on the hot shoe of the camera and when you take a photo, it records the gps information into its memory. Also you can records the gps information as you set up.
Thank you for your help and if there is anything I can be of assistance, please contact me by E-Mail cdoffice@solmeta.com or by phone: 0086-28-85195593 0086-015928047749
And please visit our website www.solmeta.com and we welcome you give us any suggestions or any questions you doubt about our company or our product.

Hello Bryan,

It's good to receive input direct from a manufacturer. I am glad to know that your GPS receiver will feature a digital compass and I hope to hear more about it soon.

wlecome bryanshan. did drop an email to your sales.

Bryan,

One more question. What kind of battery does the C1 use and how long does it last?

Bryan,

Is there a selector switch on the Solmeta N1 and what type of internal battery is it using ?

TIA.

This is Bryan from Solmeta Technology. Thank you for your precious suggestions and thank you for caring of our product. I will add relative information of our product and software on our website soon.
As for our software, it is a feature-rich and easy-to-use digital photo software, that enables photographers to organize, edit and share photos flexibly. With our software, user can create professional Flash or web galleries, geo-tag photos with GPS and send photos to mobile phones as well as publish photo albums to internet. It can locating photos on map, link photos on Google Earth, generate KMZ or KML file, make google map gallery. It also has a GPS log manager function that can make the track of your photos.
As for the switches, to compare with di, we have a "inside" and a "camera". That is you can use the N1's independent battery or the camera's battery.
Our C1, sorry we have changed the name of the product, has the function just like a compass. It can tell you the direction, such as 45 degree to the north. And it is like some data logger. But it can fit directly on the hot shoe of the camera and when you take a photo, it records the gps information into its memory. Also you can records the gps information as you set up.
Thank you for your help and if there is anything I can be of assistance, please contact me by E-Mail cdoffice@solmeta.com or by phone: 0086-28-85195593 0086-015928047749
And please visit our website www.solmeta.com and we welcome you give us any suggestions or any questions you doubt about our company or our product.

Thank you longkangman, David Chin, humbug, xtemujin,
Thank you for your message.
For N1, we have a built-in 650mAh Li battery which can last 10 continuously working hours. And we have the selector switch. Please visit our website. In application you can download the users manual which you can see the details.
For C1, David, this product is not on sale now. We will release it before the end of Feb. And can you do me a favor to give me a suggestion? For one thing we have not made sure is should we use Li battery or AA battery. The reason to use AA battery it avoid the risk of exporting for there is some restriction now.
And for GEOPIC II, I don't know their spec. so I can't compare them. Also I can't see any using reviews about it.
Thank you. You guys please give me some suggestion about battery.

Thank you longkangman, David Chin, humbug, xtemujin,
Thank you for your message.
For N1, we have a built-in 650mAh Li battery which can last 10 continuously working hours. And we have the selector switch. Please visit our website. In application you can download the users manual which you can see the details.
For C1, David, this product is not on sale now. We will release it before the end of Feb. And can you do me a favor to give me a suggestion? For one thing we have not made sure is should we use Li battery or AA battery. The reason to use AA battery it avoid the risk of exporting for there is some restriction now.
And for GEOPIC II, I don't know their spec. so I can't compare them. Also I can't see any using reviews about it.
Thank you. You guys please give me some suggestion about battery.

I assume you are not referring to rechargeable battery. If this is the case, it does not matter at all since the device can be sold without any battery to avoid the newly enforced ban on lithium battery taken aboard planes. AA battery does appear very big for the size of the device though.

As for your N1, I think 10 hours of usage is a bit too short. Does this device or the C1 have any feature that turns on only when the shutter button is pressed and would otherwise go to standby mode so that battery life can be lengthened? This is one of the features of the Geopic II although it does not have any battery of its own. You can find out more about this receiver from the website I sent to you in my earlier email.
As

Status
Not open for further replies.