Geotag: Nikon D200 Dawn Tech N2 di-GPS mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtemujin

Apr 1, 2005
Singapura, Singapore
I was using the Sony GPS-CS1 and Garmin 60CSx to geotag my photos by using software.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=237806&highlight=geotag

DSC02032.jpg

There were a couple of discussion of using Nikon D200 with a GPS receiver and MC-35 cable.

Generic GPS Cable (Nikon MC-35 equivalent)

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=252413

Tagging GPS data to Your Photographs

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=171137&highlight=gps+tagging

I was looking for a solution that do away with switching of two equipments(GPS and camera), lightweight and without the need to use a computer to geotag the photos.

The Sony GPS-CS1 was a no go with highly urban areas from my experience as it could not get a satellite fix.

I came across the Dawn Technology Limited N2 di-GPS mini from another forum.

http://www.di-gps.com/di-GPS/n2.htm

The price of the N2 di-GPS mini receiver is US$238 with a US$45 shipping and handling charges and the total cost is US$283 = S$450, about the price of a Garmin Etrex Venture Cx.

The N2 can be mounted on the hotshoe or on the camera strap.

Top view.

DSC02033.jpg

Power selector Switch

DSC02053.jpg

The length of the cable is about 18cm.

DSC02050.jpg

No GPS signal input on the D200 LCD.

DSC02036.jpg

Solid GPS icon indicates that GPS signal is received from the N2.

DSC02040.jpg

GPS information on the D200 LCD view screen.

DSC02047.jpg

Sample photos with geotag information in the EXIF.

Haji Lane.

DSC_0006.jpg

Camera GPS coordinates on Nikon View Software keyed into Garmin 60CSx.

hajilane.jpg

GPS signal not lost as I head down Haji Lane.

DSC_0007.jpg

Somewhere in the middle of Haji Lane.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

par.jpg

Location of photo shoot.

park.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

sriv1.jpg

Location of photo shoot.

sriv.jpg

The price of the N2 di-GPS mini receiver is US$238 with a US$45 shipping and handling charges and the total cost is US$283 = S$450, about the price of a Garmin Etrex Venture Cx.

I paid USD338.00 for my N2 because I got the 'modified' MC-30 package. Probably over priced for the MC-30 since it would be cheaper to do it yourself or use a Canon one.

The 'nice' thing about using the Gamin is that the co-ordinates go to one additional decimal place for people who are picky....but those damn wires everywhere....

I wasn't sure if I will ever use the MC-30 and that's the reason why I just ordered the basic package.

I concur and that's where the beauty of this setup where there are no worries of wires and the need to switch on the GPS receiver.

I paid USD338.00 for my N2 because I got the 'modified' MC-30 package. Probably over priced for the MC-30 since it would be cheaper to do it yourself or use a Canon one.

The 'nice' thing about using the Gamin is that the co-ordinates go to one additional decimal place for people who are picky....but those damn wires everywhere....

WoW!!!
I wonder does this work in Malaysia or not? :lovegrin:

Is there anyway i can 'drop' such a pic (w the gps info) onto a map on a PC (google earth, or yahoo maps, or others) and it will be geotagged automatically to the correct location?

now, this is darn cool!!

Cikgu101,

Malaysia Boleh. :bsmilie:

Nikkie,

Flickr, Google Picasa and Shozu to name a few programme do have the capability for the function to show where the geotag photos have been taken on a map.

Sweet :D Makes me want the D200 even more :(

OT but.. why that lens? Seems like an odd choice for a camera as expensive as the D200 o_O Why not the 18-200 VR?

Jmmtn4aj,

I've used the Sigma 18-200mm with my D50.:thumbsup:

Right now, I'm thinking of getting the Nikon 18-200mm VR but it is still out of stock in some places.

HTH.

Hi all,

I own a D70 and aspire to own a D200... At this current moment in time, i need a cost effective solution that can gettag my pics. The N2 di-GPS mini is out since it only works on D200 and above. As such, i decided to get the Sony GPS-CS1 device.

While i agree with what xtemujin says in terms of sensitivity in build up areas that Sony loses out to the N2. But i have personally tested the Sony and i must say it is really not too bad in terms of getting a fix. If you need accurate highly sensitive GPS logger then of course Dawn Tech N2 di-GPS mini is the way to go.

What i like the Sony over the N2 is the fact that it uses its own battery source so it will be much less drain on the cam battery. It is also an independent data logger that works with any camera as long as you set the correct time and date on the camera when you start shooting.

For those who are really interested to venture into this area, you can check out this link.

http://ckbe.multiply.com/reviews/item/7

Hi all,

I own a D70 and aspire to own a D200... At this current moment in time, i need a cost effective solution that can gettag my pics. The N2 di-GPS mini is out since it only works on D200 and above. As such, i decided to get the Sony GPS-CS1 device.

While i agree with what xtemujin says in terms of sensitivity in build up areas that Sony loses out to the N2. But i have personally tested the Sony and i must say it is really not too bad in terms of getting a fix. If you need accurate highly sensitive GPS logger then of course Dawn Tech N2 di-GPS mini is the way to go.

What i like the Sony over the N2 is the fact that it uses its own battery source so it will be much less drain on the cam battery. It is also an independent data logger that works with any camera as long as you set the correct time and date on the camera when you start shooting.

For those who are really interested to venture into this area, you can check out this link.

http://ckbe.multiply.com/reviews/item/7

I still don't understand why there is a need to geotag photos. Is it really that useful?

I still don't understand why there is a need to geotag photos. Is it really that useful?

I've taken several hundred or several thousand pictures overseas and coming back not knowing where most of the pictures were taken, not even the cities, nevermind which part of the city (inside of a castle or a really old street) :p

I've taken several hundred or several thousand pictures overseas and coming back not knowing where most of the pictures were taken, not even the cities, nevermind which part of the city (inside of a castle or a really old street) :p

Ah.. okie.. I do encounter this problem also, especially going with tour groups with lousy tour guides.. Looks like it will be useful for me if I go for a tour and encounter another lousy tour guide... But I don't find it that useful for local shots. ;p

In local context, it is probably is not that useful but when you go traveling especially trekking, it is extremely useful.

Geotagging is not only useful to casual photographers like us. The researchers or scientist who are into nature would want to go back and look at the specific species of plant after some time. By geotagging the pic, they will know exactly where to start looking for it instead of the hard manual way.

Status
Not open for further replies.