Gentle reminder to check prices before buying pre-owned from BnS

Nikon 70-200mm VRII going for $3.1k.... brand new is about $3k at the shops...

sjackal said:
Are people paying $45 for a Quick Strap? (knockoff R Strap)

BNS got a guy selling at $30

I bought from ebay delivered to my door at $18 nia. Don't believe just search ebay.

Can't compare to eBay prices la....some folks bought from stores at local prices...when they list the items for sale at classifieds they take a cut off the price they purchased at...

Buying from eBay also has its hassles, risks and lead time..

Can't compare to eBay prices la....some folks bought from stores at local prices...when they list the items for sale at classifieds they take a cut off the price they purchased at...

Buying from eBay also has its hassles, risks and lead time..

I find ebay convenient. Usually mail from Hong Kong or China takes abot 1 week and saves me the time going to the shops. Keep the purchases to low cost items and there is not much risk especially with the mass sellers on hongkong/china ebay which turns out to be quite reliable probably because the items are low cost for them too. Had received faulty items once, informed the seller and they send another at no cost to me, ended up with 2 pieces.

sjackal said:
I find ebay convenient. Usually mail from Hong Kong or China takes abot 1 week and saves me the time going to the shops. Keep the purchases to low cost items and there is not much risk especially with the mass sellers on hongkong/china ebay which turns out to be quite reliable probably because the items are low cost for them too. Had received faulty items once, informed the seller and they send another at no cost to me, ended up with 2 pieces.

Yes I agree that some users dont mind transacting via ebay etc... but my point is that eBay prices should not be used as baseline to set pre owned prices.

Yes I agree that some users dont mind transacting via ebay etc... but my point is that eBay prices should not be used as baseline to set pre owned prices.

Hmm, people can set any prices they want, not necessary basing it on ebay. They are people buying old 50mm f/1.8G lens for same price as brand new every month on BNS simply because they don't check prices and assume pre-owned means cheaper.

Only a small, small fraction of member knows about this thread. Hehe.

Should bring this thread under importance or sticky in very BNS section. This thread is a "gentle reminder" but put in a secret dry cab so it can't remind to everyone.

sjackal said:
Hmm, people can set any prices they want, not necessary basing it on ebay. They are people buying old 50mm f/1.8G lens for same price as brand new every month on BNS simply because they don't check prices and assume pre-owned means cheaper.

Only a small, small fraction of member knows about this thread. Hehe.

Yes I guess it's due to the myth that bns is the cheapest source of camera equipment

If buyers don't do their due diligence prior to buying used stuff, they must be mentally prepared for any outcome.

JasonB said:
Nice lady got conned then :(

Saw someone posted the 18-55 VR asking for $75...

luckyorange said:
I smsed that seller, he told me its 18-105 not 18-55.. think he got some typo on thread title..

Oh ok.....didn't mean to stir this

Nikon 70-200mm VRII going for $3.1k.... brand new is about $3k at the shops...

i have checked this with MS, they still selling 3.1k last week.

i think 2.4k-2.6k is a good "range" for a used unit (if in good condition). correct me if i'm wrong :)

Guys and gals..before buying pre owned sets online, go to the peninsula shopping center first floor to get a feel of what shops selling at.

Good example... d90 used bodies going for $600 up...in forum ppl asking for same or more, I seen more ridiculous asking of more than 1k with kit lens.

Another e.g. d3100 with kit lens. A shop selling $540 mint set with Nikon warranty. Here, I see higher listing price.

Lesson is:
Do your homework.

Disclaimer:
I have nothing against sellers as some may not be aware of market prices or may thought that deprecation of digital product are not that significant.

trd2970 said:
Guys and gals..before buying pre owned sets online, go to the peninsula shopping center first floor to get a feel of what shops selling at.

Good example... d90 used bodies going for $600 up...in forum ppl asking for same or more, I seen more ridiculous asking of more than 1k with kit lens.

Another e.g. d3100 with kit lens. A shop selling $540 mint set with Nikon warranty. Here, I see higher listing price.

Lesson is:
Do your homework.

Disclaimer:
I have nothing against sellers as some may not be aware of market prices or may thought that deprecation of digital product are not that significant.

I also saw a used 35 1.8g selling at $180 at orient photo last month...in used condition...but hey, compare to how much is this sold at bns?

I also saw a used 35 1.8g selling at $180 at orient photo last month...in used condition...but hey, compare to how much is this sold at bns?

Fwah.... that is cheap... but thing is, something sold so cheap... must have issues...

daredevil123 said:
Fwah.... that is cheap... but thing is, something sold so cheap... must have issues...

I didn't test it cos not buying..but orient gives a one month warranty.... bns sellers rarely do that