flying with big camera bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for all suggestions.

let's see how it goes...

have you seen the 300 2.8 before in real life?
it's really NOT small at all.
d3 + 300 2.8 on my neck, will attract MORE attention from the customs officers than a 50kg backpack!
i'm serious!

Haha.. D3 with 300f2.8 on the neck????:bigeyes:

Tripod cannot be brough on baord, must check in but make sure its properly protected and inside a hard suitcase.

Haha.. D3 with 300f2.8 on the neck????:bigeyes:

Tripod cannot be brough on baord, must check in but make sure its properly protected and inside a hard suitcase.

Actually, tripods can and I did it before. If fly atas class, can set up tripod in cabin also. Tried both with SQ. Didn't even have a tripod bag, it was attached onto the tripod holder of my Lowepro Slingshot 300.. sticking out like a sword.

just wondering if you're away for holidays and have decided to pack your gears into one big camera bag like the phototrekker, for eg, do you check in your bags as fragile or bring them on board?
what about those with 600mm lenses?
do you bring them on board and leave them in the overhead cabin space?

One bag, 2 lenses, 1 body, 1 blower, spare batteries, memory cards and Manfrotto 190xprob. I won't say that's travelling light but moderate. Carry on board and put in overhead compartment.

jeanie, have u tried the vanguard bags? they are big. too big to me.

jeanie, have u tried the vanguard bags? they are big. too big to me.

if they are too big for you, chances are it wont fit me.
i'm about 1.5-1.6 only.

hi...Do anyone know if Kata D467 backpack can fit under the plane seat (not keen on putting in overhead compartment)? Thanks.

I second Perth. The weight restrictions there are a real bitch.

I don't blame them. Fuel costs accounts for a large part of the airlines' expenses.

I thought economy is entitled to 20kg? I didn't have any problem going to Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney with 20kg. I checked in 20kg and carry another 20kg on my shoulders ;)

Actually, I don't think it's fuel cost.. It's just them.. If it is fuel cost they would have check it here (in SG) as well!!!

It's just Australia. They ask me to weigh in Sydney, Melbourne and even Brisbane.. So, not just Perth. I never had to do this in any other airports - Manchester, Heathrow, San Francisco, Chicago, Frankfurt, Inchon, GuangZhou, Beijing, KL, and Penang.

Soon I will find out if Christchurch and Hamilton would have the same issue...

Hi Jeanie, you can check out the Pelican 1510 case with padded dividers. Drop me a pm if you decide to get one :)

I took SQ from New York back to Singapore..and I basically bought all my equipment in the US. This is what I carried back in my hand luggage

In Timbuk2 messenger bag
- sleeping bag
- 1 super thick & heavy fashion magazine
- T61 15.4" laptop (i bought it there...)
- T40 14" laptop
- 2.5" portable HDD
- Intuos 6x8 tablet in box
- 3 novels
- change of clothes
- chargers and cables for laptops
- Entertainment pack consisting of PSP, iPod, and portable battery

36L backpack for camera equipment:
- 5D + grip
- 350D
- 17-40, 70-200/4, 2x 100mm macro, minolta 58/1.2, 50/1.8, 35/2, 85/1.8, 24/1.8
- EX580II flash
- various hoods for all the lenses
- 2 sets of batteries and chargers for cameras
- tripod + ballhead strapped to the exterior of bag

I think everything must have weighed maybe 25kg? But they didn't make a fuss about it at all, and I put everything in the overhead bin.

When I go on dive trips, my camera equipment weighs about 17kg (the housing and strobes weigh a ton!), and I usually put everything into a rolling cabin bag. This way it looks lighter than it really is and no questions asked.

I have a lady friend who's about 1.6m who carried everything in a Computrekker Plus, but was stopped for weighing. I guess the bag looked too big for her. The same bag was on a South African friend of mine who's 6ft 2" and weighs like 300pds, and he got through in a breeze.

Hope your trip goes well!

I just bought a ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive.

I carry in it:
40D with 70 - 200L IS attached,
24-105L
Tamron 90mm Macro
580EX II
Laptop (Toshiba Tecra A6)
Spare batteries,
Power cords for laptop
adapter plugs etc.

Manfrotto Tripod and head I put in my luggage as its light.

Still have space for more if required. Can still fit in a few magazines if needed. To compliment this bag I bought the Aritifical Intelligence 15 V2.0 which is for a laptop, and also bring this along in case want to access laptop easy while on plane and put all other travel documents in pocket for laptop in main bag.

Never had any problems on SQ / SilkAir / fits nicely into the overhead compartment. Flew to China on Xiamen Airlines on a Boeing 300 - 800 series fitted nicely in the overhead compartment nice.

ThinkTank bags I feel are much thought out and practical than Lowepro and they meet all airline requirements for fitting into overhead compartments ...

Cheers ...

HOW on earth do i carry the d3+24-70 and 70-200 on board?i can sling the d3 on my neck(albeit very uncomfy for flights) but where am i going to put the 70-200?!?!?it's not small/light either.

yes, most prob sq.

You only need to sling the camera on your neck during check-in and when passing customs and security checkpoints. Once you clear those, you can put everything back in your bag and fly as per normal. I do that all the time. I have a thin sleeve for my laptop with handles and a small shoulder strap. Sometimes, in china, I carry the laptop on it's own, since it is acceptable that you have a carry-on and a laptop. Sometimes I might alternate with extra clothes/jacket in hand, with stuff shoved in the jacket (like keys, phones, I tried a HDD once.) After the security scan, when waiting for the gate to open, I shoved everything back into my bag and off I go into the plane.

antacid, WHOA!! That is alot of gear!!

I once carried around 15kg backpack of laptop, portable HDDs cables and documents with an electric guitar in a soft case flying from SFO to SG. I was moving back then and the 3 trips I flew back and fro, I was always carrying important stuff back. United airlines never gave me any trouble but one time, SQ asked me to check my guitar in. I told them that it is a custom handmade guitar (which it is) and it is worth upwards of 3500 USD (which it is NOT LOL). She assured me it is insured. But when she gave me a tag to sign, the tag said the airline is not responsible for any damages. I showed the girl that tag, and I told her I will not sign that, and the airline HAVE TO guarantee that the guitar is undamaged and not lost. She never got back to me and I brought the guitar with me into the flight and got it stowed in a coat hanging closet with the air stewardess. No problems! Usually it is the ground/gate crew that give you trouble. The flight crew is always ok.

I took SQ from New York back to Singapore..and I basically bought all my equipment in the US. This is what I carried back in my hand luggage

In Timbuk2 messenger bag
- sleeping bag
- 1 super thick & heavy fashion magazine
- T61 15.4" laptop (i bought it there...)
- T40 14" laptop
- 2.5" portable HDD
- Intuos 6x8 tablet in box
- 3 novels
- change of clothes
- chargers and cables for laptops
- Entertainment pack consisting of PSP, iPod, and portable battery

36L backpack for camera equipment:
- 5D + grip
- 350D
- 17-40, 70-200/4, 2x 100mm macro, minolta 58/1.2, 50/1.8, 35/2, 85/1.8, 24/1.8
- EX580II flash
- various hoods for all the lenses
- 2 sets of batteries and chargers for cameras
- tripod + ballhead strapped to the exterior of bag

I think everything must have weighed maybe 25kg? But they didn't make a fuss about it at all, and I put everything in the overhead bin.

When I go on dive trips, my camera equipment weighs about 17kg (the housing and strobes weigh a ton!), and I usually put everything into a rolling cabin bag. This way it looks lighter than it really is and no questions asked.

I have a lady friend who's about 1.6m who carried everything in a Computrekker Plus, but was stopped for weighing. I guess the bag looked too big for her. The same bag was on a South African friend of mine who's 6ft 2" and weighs like 300pds, and he got through in a breeze.

Hope your trip goes well!

Status
Not open for further replies.