flying with big camera bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can always bring me along

how to bring you along when you're even afraid of your wife seeing a xmas card from me?:sticktong

carried a 500mm, 3 primes, 1 zoom, 1 pro 1 normal body in a TT airport acceleration bag to india. no problem. if stopped, u can carry the D3+300 in your hand to meet the weight requirements. maybe can leave some extra batteries and stuff in ur normall luggage.

for flights, the simplest solution to get over the weight limit is to wear the excess weight on yourself which is where photo vests actually come in handy.

thanks for the insight.
yes...i dislike those weight restriction airlines.
but for a petite gal like me with a phototrekker or a pelican, how to run?:cry:

maybe i'll just list down my stuffs and you see if it's ok?
i got a feeling it wont even fit into my phototrekker

d3+3 batts
charger
sb900
24-70
14-24
70-200
45 TS
gitzo with RRS head
300 2.8
1.7tc
mbp
mouse
charger
1 ext hdd
1 cf card holder
cleaning kit

the above + some nitty gritty girl stuffs.
i wont even bring my makeup box.

WOW :bigeyes: at all these gears..!!!!
you must going some where by there are many stuffs for you to shot at it...
If not you'll not bring along a 300mm and a 70-200mm lens...:eek:

Just some recent experience, in Philippines airport u are required to take off your shoes before xray and metal detector, while in Bangkok aiport u are required to take off your belts before xray and metal detector. I guess this is due to the tightened security requirement.

Some of u may still remember in the 1990s u needed to remove the lens from the body to show the security what is inside the SLR mirror box.

HOW on earth do i carry the d3+24-70 and 70-200 on board?i can sling the d3 on my neck(albeit very uncomfy for flights) but where am i going to put the 70-200?!?!?it's not small/light either.

yes, most prob sq.

All you need is to sling the D3 on ur neck and go through the boarding security checks. After that, just put it back into your bag. The thing is u need to keep the weight in the bag <7kg for SQ when you go through the security checks. either attach the 70-200 or the 24-70 to the D3, the other put into your bag. If you are bringing the 300f2.8, I assume ur bag is big enuff to put in all these lenses right?

Check this thread http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=2381779&postcount=235

Last edited:
for flights, the simplest solution to get over the weight limit is to wear the excess weight on yourself which is where photo vests actually come in handy.

i dont think there's any photo vest that suits me.:bsmilie:

All you need is to sling the D3 on ur neck and go through the boarding security checks. After that, just put it back into your bag. The thing is u need to keep the weight in the bag <7kg for SQ when you go through the security checks. either attach the 70-200 or the 24-70 to the D3, the other put into your bag. If you are bringing the 300f2.8, I assume ur bag is big enuff to put in all these lenses right?

Check this thread http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=2381779&postcount=235

the prob now is i dont even think my phototrekker is allowed on board.

Be selective on what and who you bring. You might have 20 lens but you can't bring them all.

Prioritize your photography needs.

wow. thats alot of gears that you are bringing over. Why not u planned ur gears again and bring those really necessary. Batt, chargers flash can all go into check in. i guess ur camera bag already weighs >1kg if it can house all the lenses u are going to bring.

thanks for the insight.

d3+3 batts
charger
sb900
24-70
14-24
70-200
45 TS
gitzo with RRS head
300 2.8
1.7tc
mbp
mouse
charger
1 ext hdd
1 cf card holder
cleaning kit

do note on the number of lithum batt u can bring onboard. As for the weight, maybe u can try packing ur bag then weigh it will a weighing scale to see the weight. if really overweight, can try mounting ur 14-24 on D3 and sling on ur neck. the rest of the lenses then u pack in bag.

d3+2 batts - neck
1 batt - check in
charger -check in
sb900 - check in
24-70 - bag
14-24 -neck
70-200 - bag
45 TS - bag
gitzo with RRS head - check in
300 2.8 - bag
1.7tc - bag
mbp -bag
mouse -check in
charger-check in
1 ext hdd -bag
1 cf card holder -bag
cleaning kit -check in

From my own experience, SR 500 and 650s can fit in as camera bags together with one more cabin bag.

For me, I usually only bring my 40D with 17-55 f/2.8 mounted and a 50 f/1.8. Fits ok into my ballistic nylon computer bag, plus notebook and other work stuff. With SQ, it seldom is a problem.

Sorry to hijack ..... I plan to bring my Gitzo 1541 to Tokyo in 2 weeks. I think it will fit into my cabin luggage "trolley bag".

Anyone knows if the security people are going to give me a hard time? If they say that a tripod can be used as a "weapon"?

thanks for the insight.

d3+3 batts
charger
sb900
24-70
14-24
70-200
45 TS
gitzo with RRS head
300 2.8
1.7tc
mbp
mouse
charger
1 ext hdd
1 cf card holder
cleaning kit

leave the 300 f2.8 and 2 batteries at home

do note on the number of lithum batt u can bring onboard. As for the weight, maybe u can try packing ur bag then weigh it will a weighing scale to see the weight. if really overweight, can try mounting ur 14-24 on D3 and sling on ur neck. the rest of the lenses then u pack in bag.

d3+2 batts - neck
1 batt - check in
charger -check in
sb900 - check in
24-70 - bag
14-24 -neck
70-200 - bag
45 TS - bag
gitzo with RRS head - check in
300 2.8 - bag
1.7tc - bag
mbp -bag
mouse -check in
charger-check in
1 ext hdd -bag
1 cf card holder -bag
cleaning kit -check in

i agree with mahojazz suggestions. and also to be selective with what you carry. I've used my micro trekker 200 on SIA flts to many countries without any trouble. It fits snugly under the seat :)

split into 2, one back pack one shoulder sling

just wondering if you're away for holidays and have decided to pack your gears into one big camera bag like the phototrekker, for eg, do you check in your bags as fragile or bring them on board?
what about those with 600mm lenses?
do you bring them on board and leave them in the overhead cabin space?

brought my compurover on board and stor away in the overhead nicely. left my tripod and ballhead in the check-in luggage. always cushion your tripod, else you might find it damaged later on.

one point to note, is to be kiasu abit when boarding, else later no space in the overhead near your destinated seat, and, the cabin crew will require to put your expensive gears somewhere else.

For me, I usually only bring my 40D with 17-55 f/2.8 mounted and a 50 f/1.8. Fits ok into my ballistic nylon computer bag, plus notebook and other work stuff. With SQ, it seldom is a problem.

Sorry to hijack ..... I plan to bring my Gitzo 1541 to Tokyo in 2 weeks. I think it will fit into my cabin luggage "trolley bag".

Anyone knows if the security people are going to give me a hard time? If they say that a tripod can be used as a "weapon"?

i brought my gitzo overseas before.i was told to check the tripod in.
i brought my big samsonite oyster luggage, so it could squeeze in and i know it has ample protection.

i remember seeing a thread here in CS they check a tripod in and it came out koyak.
damn scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.