Flash...metz or pentax 540?

Get the K7 + Dual Kit + Metz 48 then. The kit lens can capture your kids nicely. For the flash, the Metz 58 is ultra powerful and has features even the Pentax AF540 does not have.

Was checking out with the various shop..... most got K7 but now do not come bundle with the WR Dual kit and most dont have the FA 50mm.... :rolleyes::sweat:.... if I get, no lens to use...... :rolleyes:

I own both the Metz 58 and 48 flash units. There are many more useful differences that the two big differences outlined above i.e. the Metz 58 can do so much more than the Metz 48 can.

You can visit the Metz web site if you are curious about the details.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/mecablitz-models.html

If you are quite serious about flash photography and a photography gear addict to boot... then the Metz 48 won't satisfy you in the long run... else it is absolutely perfect for you.

Keep in mind that most of the features in the Metz 48 are also found in several other brand flash units too... but some of the features in the Metz 58 are simply unavailable in the other brand flash units. Also, the Metz 58 is a really big-sized ultra-powerful extremely feature-rich flash... whereas the Metz 48 has a comfortable size and often (but not always) will allow you to get the job done quite satisfactorily when compared to the other brands.

Noted bro..... prob my usage do not justify the 58 lar..... :p

4th day of shooting using the Metz 58 AF1..pttl is confusing still trying to figure it out....doesnt give consistent results or maybe i'm too used to Ettl 2...however i love using it on auto.....just simply love it

I'm also quite troubled by PTTL at times.. :( Too bad my Metz 48 doesn't have auto mode.

Was checking out with the various shop..... most got K7 but now do not come bundle with the WR Dual kit and most dont have the FA 50mm.... :rolleyes::sweat:.... if I get, no lens to use...... :rolleyes:

i just called SLR R@funan today. They have body but no dual kit lenses. Sian . . . :cry:

just have to say this...Auto-mode and me are now 1.....hahaha...

Hey guys, can anyone help clarify my understanding regarding the Metz 58?

P-TTL means the flash use lens on the camera to detect flash power needed, whereas Auto mode means the sensor on the flash detects flash power needed?

I do notice that I get brighter results from Auto mode usually, is it the same for you guys?

Also, when do you guys use the double flash? For portraits mostly?

Lastly, after some usage, I smell some burnt smell on the flash, normal?

Thanks in advance for reading.

Last edited:
Hey guys, can anyone help clarify my understanding regarding the Metz 58?

P-TTL means the flash use lens on the camera to detect flash power needed, whereas Auto mode means the sensor on the flash detects flash power needed?

I do notice that I get brighter results from Auto mode usually, is it the same for you guys?

Also, when do you guys use the double flash? For portraits mostly?

Lastly, after some usage, I smell some burnt smell on the flash, normal?

Thanks in advance for reading.

Did you set to full power? If so, need to slow down your shooting or bye bye flash . . .

how about the other brands like tumax, sunpak, and nissin? i bought a k100d in b&s section and give it as a gift to my uncle, now im looking for a flash that is not expensive that will go along with that k100d.:dunno:

how about the other brands like tumax, sunpak, and nissin? i bought a k100d in b&s section and give it as a gift to my uncle, now im looking for a flash that is not expensive that will go along with that k100d.:dunno:

Sigma ST530 Super . . .

Unless you want to use in Manual mode only then can buy these 3 brands as they do not have Pentax mount . . .

usually how much is the sigma ST530 super? how about the vivitar 285H?
thanks

usually how much is the sigma ST530 super? how about the vivitar 285H?
thanks

Sigma 530Super is about $530 (pls confirm in the BnS section)

Vivitar 285HV is about $180 from ebay. This is a manual flash with no swivel head, FYI

Did you set to full power? If so, need to slow down your shooting or bye bye flash . . .

Wah brooo dont scare me please.
Maybe tested too much in full dark room. =x
I tried and its still working, phew.

I did read in the manual not to touch the glass after some usage as it may burn.
Thats scary. :sweat:

Ok I juz tested 3 shots and I can smell a slight burnt/chao ta smell from the glass, is it normal?

Erm, I shot once its loaded/ready, repeat 3 times directly.
Now Im paranoid lol.

Is it?? Shucks mine never mention that though, guess I will shoot slower from now on. Sigh.

How about Youngnuo YN460 MKII?

Costs about $100 from CS mass sales:)