Finally gotten my K-x

hi,

wld like to check again the so call dry box to keep the camera & stuff don really have to be those exp boxes de right?? i mean just like the learnphotography, go get a normal transparent toyogo box dan put 1 or 2 humidifier will do right?

will that so call spoil the contents inside the camera?

hi,

wld like to check again the so call dry box to keep the camera & stuff don really have to be those exp boxes de right?? i mean just like the learnphotography, go get a normal transparent toyogo box dan put 1 or 2 humidifier will do right?

will that so call spoil the contents inside the camera?

Zoo drinks are very expensive:bsmilie:

Buy 1 carton of coke and sell $1 each to all pentaxian can earn back the zoo tickets ... phahah

I also just gotton k-x when clubsnap was down.
Own 18-55mm & 50-200mm at $899
and this is my drybox!
img6151.jpg

Can i know if i were to get one plastic box and throw in a couple of dehumifiers, can i also add in those rubber seal as well?

From what I've read, Thirsty hippo apparently is quite powerful but cannot be reused. I 've read that its too dry for rubber components.

Can use silica gel for a cheaper solution as you can just heat it up and re use it. I'm currently doing that in a tupperware box.

Gt any xpert able to answer my question posted earlier on!?????

A hygrometer is needed to monitor that the humidity doesn't go too low...thirsty hippo is so coool....leave it overnite, humidity falls from 80 to 45~ smtms even nid to open and let sm humidity in...;)
Btw thirsty hippo uses calcium chloride which turns into water after absorbing...rather messy...diy a container to hold the water ba.. Dun reli like silica bags...too slow...too small to hold humidity...

and the fact tt i replied means i'm no expert...expert shd always use proper dry cabinet..haha...

Last edited:
A proper dry cabinet will be good but if yu bring them out everyday for a walk then it should be fine. =)

Okie.... But e dry cabinet is nt dat bulky rite???

Okie.... But e dry cabinet is nt dat bulky rite???

what is your concern?

size? they come in various sizes. if u have very little equipment, u can get the smallest one.

price? lenses are not cheap. its well worth the money to protect your lenses... imagine if u've spent a few thousand on lenses and they grow mouldy... heart pain leh :sweat:

if u are sure that u are going to use the body and kit lens ONLY, u will use it VERY often, and u will NEVER buy any other lenses, then u weigh the pros and cons lor... u may feel that some silica gel or hungry hippo in your bag / cupboard is a viable solution to u :dunno:

ultimately, its your choice :) my vote is to get a proper dry cabinet.

my definition for it is just to put e camera plus the lens bah... coz i will be gng for the kx dual lens kit..

The problem after u get ur camera is...ur lens will not be enough to satisfy ur growing BBB virus. U sure tend to buy other lenses which suits ur need. Take it for me, I thought 18-55 & 50-200 is enough. In the end what did I buy? 6 more lenses...and a load of accessories. Nearly breaking this year budget and starting to grow grass outside my room window for staple diet. XD

Thus, I decided to buy the Dry Cabinet. get the 30l+ which is around 100+ or u can go for the 40l+ which also ard 100+-200+ depend. I bought the Aipo. So far so good, it uses lesser power and the power turn off once it reach the stated RH u keyed-in. Can get them here in mass sale thread.

As what I read in the K-x manual, even using silicon beads, also can create problem with the lens. This I'm not sure. But I guess by using this, u need to open and close the container for a moment every morning before gg to work. I think.

my definition for it is just to put e camera plus the lens bah... coz i will be gng for the kx dual lens kit..

that is exactly my point ;) u sure those 2 lenses are the ONLY ones that u will EVER use?

if u are not sure yet, dun buy a dry cabinet first. just keep your equipment in a cool, dry place (i.e. cupboard) and use hungry hippo for a start.

when your lens collection starts to grow, u may want to think again. To me, its cheap to spend $100 to protect $2k worth of equipment.

lens cleaning and servicing may cost much more than the price of a dry cabinet.

I think i'll start w e 2 lens first bah coz me is a total noob.... I will be getting it nxt mth end... U think shld get a normal transparet box with the hippo dihumidifier or directly buy e dry cabinet first

The toyogo box is not air-tight and dry silica gels will quickly turned from blue to pink, indication moisture absorbed.

A cheaper mode is to have the i-case designer model, going at maybe $30 dollars and with silica gel, is sufficient to keep the lenses in good order. There is also a hygrometer attached to this box.

Better still, have a 30 litres dry cabinet, powered by electricity to keep away fungus. Cost about 100 dollars.

marcus

I think i'll start w e 2 lens first bah coz me is a total noob.... I will be getting it nxt mth end... U think shld get a normal transparet box with the hippo dihumidifier or directly buy e dry cabinet first

if budget is not a big concern, should get the dry cabinet.

if, for whatever reasons, getting one is not an option at this time, then just make space in the wardrobe and put it there with a can of hippo. if u want to use a plastic toyogo box, no harm i guess... :dunno: as others have mentioned, its not air tight, so there are no real benefits also...