Faulty Shutter Release Button (EOS xxD series)

Were you affected by the shutter release button failure on the xxD series?

Results are only viewable after voting.

davsmiths

Nov 9, 2004
AMK
Im suprised that no one actually went to canon to ask for an explanation.
The durability of the xxD shutter button seems to be less than satisfactory.

It has been widely documented that the xxD series shutter release button is prone to failure after some time and Canon is not accepting such failures under the terms of the limited warranty.

Canon SG charges $130 for the repair as they claim that the shutter button falls under the wear and tear category and is not covered under the warranty.

Yet there have been cases where if your shutter mechanism falls below the 100,000 shots "expected" for your camera, they'll replace it.
How is it possible that Canon is going to sell a camera which has a shutter mechanism working expectancy of 100,000 but pairs it up to a sub-standard shutter release button that will only work to 10,000 clicks. For every 10,000 clicks, the user has got to fork up $130.

From a user perspective, the shutter release button is the most important button to a photographer, the button that receives the most important instruction but yet Canon is sweeping this problem under the carpet.

With the recent scandal of Toyota product recalls, maybe we should call for better consumer rights and protection.

Please do help fill up the poll if you have encounter similar problems and have paid for the repairs.

Some of you might have sought repair shops for this issue, please share with us your experience and cost of repair.

Here's a DIY fix video on how to go about disassembling and cleaning the shutter release button contact points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

Here's a DIY fix video on how to go about disassembling and cleaning the shutter release button contact points.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAWGScQeC5g

Dude.. though not a Canon user, I stopped watching the video at 1m and 05s... but seriously, no matter what the costs are, and how unhappy you might be, what's on the video is not a job for the average camera user.

-- marios

TS what body are you using? im on a 50D and after 12,000 clicks, its still ok wad.

I also never complete the clip either. But I have say that it somehow justify the cost, of fixing this problem by a certified person.
You are taking huge risk in handling delicate parts (e.g ribbon cable) inside the cam. NOt to mention the chance of getting electric shocks by the leftover current.

well the thread is abt the 40D...i wonder if 50D has this problem too? any 50D users here who had encountered such a problem? and i also wonder is it u guys press so too hard den spoil?

Shutter failure is not perculiar to xxD series but also on 1-series. How many cases are we talking about? 1 in every 1,000, etc?

On the Nikon front, many users experienced barrel failure for their premium lens AF-S 24-70mm f2.8G which costs around $1,000 to replace. Does Nikon admit that it is manuafcturer defect?

I believe that manufacturers will only admit that it is a manufacturer defect based on certain criteria.

problem on my rarely used 20d.

Last edited:
Experienced this issue before, but it was covered under warranty.

it doesnt only happen on xxD bodies right?

Yup... My 50D had this problem... Luckily it was under warranty...

No problem so far for my 20D, shutter count about 300,000 and my 350D.

Cheers!

No problem so far for my 20D, shutter count about 300,000 and my 350D.

Cheers!

300 000 holy **** 0_0
still going strong? i thought they were only built for 150,000? haha

xxD is rated at 100,000 only...300,000? nice. this problem dun just exist on xxD bodies right? i mean it wldn't make sense if it ONLY happens to them.

Last edited:
My 10D reached over 120K before the shutter BUTTON started to "stick"... The shutter mechanism is still fine up to now (4+ years old and almost 180K now). The shutter button part was quite cheap to replace even from Canon, but I had mine fixed by a "normal" camera repair guy, he just cleaned the contacts for me.

Here's a video as well on the topic http://www.photogrind.com/canon-eos-30d-40d-50d-shutter-button-repair

The shutter release button still working fine, I only replaced the faulty shutter (not release button) at about 170,000. Canon 20D is a reliable camera to me.

Cheers!

Wow, I am amazed by the technician DIY repairing the camera.

Wah..don:t think I can handle this..