EOS M: M for Mirrorless

saw this... EOS M focus speed test... not sure if anyone posted before... but here you go.

[video=youtube;iVpAPK4i5BM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpAPK4i5BM[/video]

saw this... EOS M focus speed test... not sure if anyone posted before... but here you go.

[video=youtube;iVpAPK4i5BM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVpAPK4i5BM[/video]
Same as pre-production models months ago, slower than NEX and NX.

slow is slow. makes fuji's weak af look good.

To be fair anytime you let the camera decide where to focus it will be slower. This is the same even wih the 5D

Will be interested to see a video of AF speed using spot focus in good light...

Can we still use carls zeiss lens and achieve focus if we half press shutter while adjusting the focus?

Can we still use carls zeiss lens and achieve focus if we half press shutter while adjusting the focus?

Carl Zeiss lenses are all manual lens, which mean, you need to manually focus the lens. To my knowledge Carl Zeiss only make Autofocus lenses for Sony camera.

stormancer said:

If you are asking whether the AF confirm of ZE lenses or manual lenses with AF confirm chip will work on EOS-M, my guess would be yes.

Will be interested to see a video of AF speed using spot focus in good light...

I agree. I was searching for a spot focus video but can't find it.

all of the videos so far are mostly made when the camera was announced a few months ago. Still waiting for more recent video

I tested the EOS-M with the 18-55mm lens at the Canon showroom @ VivoCity yesterday evening. Quick impression:

a) AF speed -- Rather mediocre. Slightly faster if you choose the AF point. But slower than my Samsung NX210 and comparable or slightly faster than my Panasonic TZ10 (a P&S).

b) Build quality -- Excellent. Feels solid. Nicely balanced with the 18-55mm lens. Quite compact.

c) Touch screen -- Very responsive, even to multi-pinch zooming.

d) Image quality -- Looks very good on the LCD screen.

e) External flash (90EX) -- Quick recycling time. Single left-right lock (i.e. you push in the flash into the hotshoe and then push the lock). Accurate flash metering (at least based on the 2-3 shots I took in the showroom). But it's a little bulky as compared to the flip up & down flash on the NX210.

f) EOS M mount adaptor -- I held this but didn't test it. Rather heavy and seems very well-built.

g) Overall -- I'll stick with my NX210 (for portability) and EOS 5D2 & 550D (for good image quality). Will skip the EOS-M and wait for the next release as it's not compelling to me. Don't like the pedestrian AF and lack of a built-in/fold-down flash. Pricing is on the high side compared to competitors' mirrorless systems.

1 more comment. The showroom staff asked me for my feedback on the EOS-M. It's a 4-point checkbox scale (1 for fair, 2 for good, 3 for very good & 4 for excellent). I gave it a 2, which seemed to be the most popular rating.

1 more comment. The showroom staff asked me for my feedback on the EOS-M. It's a 4-point checkbox scale (1 for fair, 2 for good, 3 for very good & 4 for excellent). I gave it a 2, which seemed to be the most popular rating.

You were generous. I would have given 1 and told them Canon should stop releasing sub-par or handicapped products (lousy sensor, slow AF, lack EVF, lack flash etc) at sky high prices. It's damaging to their reputation in the long run. This is not helping their already pathetic 2012 Q3 financial results. If it goes on, watch for the slow demise of Canon.

Last edited:
doodah said:
You were generous. I would have given 1 and told them Canon should stop releasing sub-par or handicapped products (mediocre sensor, slow AF, lack EVF, lack flash etc) at sky high prices. It's damaging to their reputation in the long run.

Are you serious? The average Joe who buys a camera doesn't care about all those things. He will be fully satisfied with the camera just because it has a Canon sticker.

the rating system don't have a "poor"?

ageha said:
Are you serious? The average Joe who buys a camera doesn't care about all those things. He will be fully satisfied with the camera just because it has a Canon sticker.

D marvel of what marketing can do. LOL.

You were generous. I would have given 1 and told them Canon should stop releasing sub-par or handicapped products (lousy sensor, slow AF, lack EVF, lack flash etc) at sky high prices. It's damaging to their reputation in the long run. This is not helping their already pathetic 2012 Q3 financial results. If it goes on, watch for the slow demise of Canon.

i'm not sure if the pathetic results are due to recent crappy offerings or just a really bad global economy. And C isn't exactly a 1-trick pony, they're in a lot of different businesses other than camera/optics.
Either way C needs to seriously buck up their offerings. Stop releasing a new xxxD every 10-12 months with features no one remembers or is excited about. Even the 5d3 felt kinda meh.

cks2k2 said:
i'm not sure if the pathetic results are due to recent crappy offerings or just a really bad global economy. And C isn't exactly a 1-trick pony, they're in a lot of different businesses other than camera/optics.
Either way C needs to seriously buck up their offerings. Stop releasing a new xxxD every 10-12 months with features no one remembers or is excited about. Even the 5d3 felt kinda meh.

U gotta give credit on d 5d3. It's their best effort.

U gotta give credit on d 5d3. It's their best effort.

it just felt like 5d2 with a better AF.

my reaction over 5d2 -> meh, just better AF + slight improvements here and there.
my reaction over d800/e -> 36mp!? no AA!?

cks2k2 said:
it just felt like 5d2 with a better AF.

my reaction over 5d2 -> meh, just better AF + slight improvements here and there.
my reaction over d800/e -> 36mp!? no AA!?

D700-D800 is a significant leap.