EOS M: M for Mirrorless

Fable said:
Battery charged and done some testing. Good impression, feel at home with the control, like my ex 600d :)
Focus with adapter is acceptable, quite fast to my standard (my requirement quite low ok :)
The 22mm f2 lens is quite sharp, colour and contrast high standard.

Here pics of my camera mounted with my EF lens.

Hi. Can elaborate on 'quite fast to my standard'? Are we talking about faster than at least a point and shoot? And what will you consider slow if your standard is low?

Hi. Can elaborate on 'quite fast to my standard'? Are we talking about faster than at least a point and shoot? And what will you consider slow if your standard is low?

Slower than point and shoot.

If someone can compare focusing speed/lag between this and s95/100/110 will be great.

If someone can compare focusing speed/lag between this and s95/100/110 will be great.

Canon showroom at vivocity have unit to test out , ask from the cashier counter.Focusing speed slow for me. May be I not use to the cam yet.got chance drop by test it uself.each ppl have different perception level.

Canon showroom at vivocity have unit to test out , ask from the cashier counter.Focusing speed slow for me. May be I not use to the cam yet.got chance drop by test it uself.each ppl have different perception level.

Thanks for the info. Anyone tested with the 70-200 lens yet?

I don't think so. If the M's AF speed is slower than other mirrorless cameras it has nothing to do with perception.

I owned the S95, G11 and Panasonic GF2, I would say focusing for EOS M is disappointing, cant compare to them. Even when I tap on specific isolated object, it takes about a sec to focus.

That sucks. Sounds like its abt the same or even slower than the G1X.

Hope I don't end up eating my words and buying one...it is good as a second body for traveling.

after seeing some reviews in youtube on the focusing speed, I am very disappointed, the cam is great (with big sensor and small body) and a great companion for travel, but a few items turned me off,

1) No viewfinder (and I don't see an option to put an optional one on)
2) Slow focusing speed (I am very very spoilt by the m4/3 cam)
3) only 2 native lens (I reckon an adapter for all my EF-S and EF lenses are viable, but even with native lenses the speed is slow, I cannot image using other mounts).

so yeah... I will wait for an update for the cam (maybe a firmware update will solve the AF speed issue?)

Hope I don't end up eating my words and buying one...it is good as a second body for traveling.

I'm in the same boat :D

I really wanted this to be decent so I can use it as a backup body while traveling. Also something I can pass to the wife and kids and shoot as and when.

Last edited:
Test shot with 22m F2 lens

IMG_0027.JPG

I find the Flexizone AF [ ] faster than Face detection tracking and Flexizone multi.
Touch the screen where you want to focus (with contrast) and the focus point turns green in about a second :)
Slower than my ex OMD of course :)
Size and weight just nice for carrying around. 22mm lens great for street photography, hope firmware update improve AF :)

dradttg said:
I owned the S95, G11 and Panasonic GF2, I would say focusing for EOS M is disappointing, cant compare to them. Even when I tap on specific isolated object, it takes about a sec to focus.

Thanks, I own S95 too. Look like I will wait for M2 ...

Yes. I Agree. One zone af definitely faster.

I find the Flexizone AF [ ] faster than Face detection tracking and Flexizone multi.
Touch the screen where you want to focus (with contrast) and the focus point turns green in about a second :)
Slower than my ex OMD of course :)
Size and weight just nice for carrying around. 22mm lens great for street photography, hope firmware update improve AF :)

just saw the EOS M ad on local TV.
AF looks super-fast in the ad. :dunno: