Editor fined $10000 for spitting at police, escapes 4 year jail term.

another case of biased people misleading others into believing that as long as you're a foreigner on Singapore Soil, you're entitled to more benefits.

ultimately, in law, it's how you present the case and facts, and what was taken down in your statements.

so it means that if you hire a lousy lawyer, you'd better hope that lady luck is on your side.

He could well have been a good member of society before this incident, OR he could very well be an total ____ and time had finally caught up with him.

We never knew. What we know now is he spat at cops, get arrested, proven guilty and sentenced to a fine.

FT, some talent, some trash. This one is another one of those trash maybe. Most are talents I believe.

Fact is, its hard to deny FT resentment sentiments in Singapore in the current state of policy. Some suggestions on what the real talents can do to improve this situation, is perhaps to show locals that they are here to make money yes, but they will also contribute to the land and this society instead of acting to the detriment of it, for instance, serve 2 years of national service and 10 years of reservist, volunteer at local charities, take part in community activities, mingle into local groups instead of just with one's own national or racial groups.

Talent or Trash... I won't know... since I don't know Him in person... And it isn't right for me to 'judge' him by this one incident.

While I know the sentiments of resentment in SG against FT/FW/PR... hoping and wishing them to get heavier sentence based on nothing more than S'porean's resentment... is *****up...

Last edited:
Of course, especially the case of the navy diver. Total shame to the service. He should be caned.

Oh, so actually "foreign talent" has nothing to do with your sentiments here la. You are just unhappy that people who spit on or abuse our public servants aren't getting caned or jailed.

He could well have been a good member of society before this incident, OR he could very well be an total ____ and time had finally caught up with him.

We never knew. What we know now is he spat at cops, get arrested, proven guilty and sentenced to a fine.

FT, some talent, some trash. This one is another one of those trash maybe. Most are talents I believe.

Fact is, its hard to deny FT resentment sentiments in Singapore in the current state of policy. Some suggestions on what the real talents can do to improve this situation, is perhaps to show locals that they are here to make money yes, but they will also contribute to the land and this society instead of acting to the detriment of it, for instance, serve 2 years of national service and 10 years of reservist, volunteer at local charities, take part in community activities, mingle into local groups instead of just with one's own national or racial groups.

And if you were to find a job in Australia, I bet you would be one of the first to complain if they asked you to do reservist, 2 years NS (how to do the job you were hired for then, genius?).

But if you insist that all FTs do reservist, NS, etc, then you should also insist they get all the government discounts on HDB flats, etc.

Narrow-minded people like you are the reason SG imports FTs. They are not crybabies with a hypocritical "me me me" syndrome.

Narrow-minded people like you are the reason SG imports FTs. They are not crybabies with a hypocritical "me me me" syndrome.

funny how my Singaporean friends love to use the phrase "Me and my friend(s)" or "I and my friend(s)", instead of the correct way: "My friend(s) and I".

Funny how this thread goes.

Normally, the punishment is: Fine, or jail, or both. In this case Judge already decided it should be fined. Some more I believe the 10K is the max for this offence. What else do you want?

Being jailed in a foreign country is totally worse than in own country.

I don't like the idea of importing FT blindly where they are more Trash than Talent, but I still don't believe in lopsided Justice. The fine is already maximum, is no longer a slap on the wrist.

That fella was drunk. He wasn't himself when the whole thing happened.

Last edited:
Kopitiam thread, is like that, everyone thinks different. Otherwise boring.

And if you were to find a job in Australia, I bet you would be one of the first to complain if they asked you to do reservist, 2 years NS (how to do the job you were hired for then, genius?).

But if you insist that all FTs do reservist, NS, etc, then you should also insist they get all the government discounts on HDB flats, etc.

If I want to become Australian and they want me to do 2 years, totally. Its only fair.

And please broaden your narrow mind, I am referring to the young boys, matter of fact I just photographed a Filipino serving national service in MINDEF, thats what I am talking about.

If I want to become Australian and they want me to do 2 years, totally. Its only fair.

And please broaden your narrow mind, I am referring to the young boys, matter of fact I just photographed a Filipino serving national service in MINDEF, thats what I am talking about.

So, are you talking about foreign talents, PRs, or immigrants? It seems you don't know the difference. Broaden your narrow mind.

Of course, especially the case of the navy diver. Total shame to the service. He should be caned.
So it seems physical violence is your favorite form of telling people what not to do?

I am for very harsh punishment for people who use force or abuse our uniform officers. The fact that they represent the nation, it is our law that you fail to obey. First you obey then you appeal if you feel the officer has wronged you.

I hope we will never have case like a recent one in America where 10 unarmed officers cannot do a damn with an armed crazy guy. We are civil society based on law and order. When the public hear the word 'police' it is just magic and everything will stop.

In the case of the drunk Caucasian editor of in-house magazine, his drunken (and hence sub-conscious) automatic reaction to spit at the police was probably a product of his 20+ years of living in UK. This is what drunken youngsters do in UK and may be a non-issue if he had spat at a UK bobby policeman on a London Street. It is considered forgivable behavior by drunks in UK and there would be no fine.

In his drunken stupor, it did not occur to him that the SG police may be trying to help him. Cause he was lying on the ground. The police may be trying to check if he needed medical treatment. For example, what if he was a victim of a massive stroke? Or was robbed and knocked unconscious on the ground?
At the very least, he may need police help to find his way home, in his drunken state.

Last edited:
I am for very harsh punishment for people who use force or abuse our uniform officers. The fact that they represent the nation, it is our law that you fail to obey. First you obey then you appeal if you feel the officer has wronged you.
Applause. That's the attitude they conditioned this country to and you seem to be a happy subordinate. Spitting nothing more than saliva on a piece of cloth. Everything else is false idols and undemocratic mind set. A police officer does not represent the nation, he is part of the Executive, responsible to enforce the law. That's all. The representation of your country is the job of the President.
A responsible citizen has the right to object and refuse orders from anybody, the moment it becomes clear that the request is against the law. Blind obedience? Maybe that was fancy when there was a king. Time over.

I hear you. You want your right and of course we all want ours. So in a situation where everyone disagrees, fight it out in the public? There must be some law and order and the person assigned is given that authority to act.

Your rights come after it. You can take issue against the officer if he abuse his authority. I am not saying he is king. If one of your family member is a police and was assigned to stop a brawl. Would you like to see him injured because these people think nothing of him? Alternatively, he hide himself just like the 10 American officers to stay safe.

Freedom comes with a price. If you have live in the early fifties, you will understand.

Applause. That's the attitude they conditioned this country to and you seem to be a happy subordinate. Spitting nothing more than saliva on a piece of cloth. Everything else is false idols and undemocratic mind set. A police officer does not represent the nation, he is part of the Executive, responsible to enforce the law. That's all. The representation of your country is the job of the President.
A responsible citizen has the right to object and refuse orders from anybody, the moment it becomes clear that the request is against the law. Blind obedience? Maybe that was fancy when there was a king. Time over.

Agree with Bukitimah, if you are from the older generation, you would have think differently. In the 1990s, we caned Michael Fay for vandalism, he was just a 18 year old teen, and despite the US President appealing for him and the then giant superpower pressuring our small country, we caned him nonetheless. It set the world stage for our country's law, it will be enforced. Other than Michael Fay, we have other examples, like those involving capital sentences.

Caning, along with hanging, has always been part of our judicial system's punishment, and our law systems are an important part of our country's foundation. This is Singapore and we are Singaporeans.

If you are can't accept the law, then leave. If you are Singaporean, know that there are many many foreigners eager to take your place. If you are foreigner, why you even come here in the first place? The hill is always greener on the other side..

End of the day, you just sounds like one of those people who complain complain complain complain and complain, blame law, blame government, and still LPPL end of the day.

Law is law. Break the law, be punished.

Agree with Bukitimah, if you are from the older generation, you would have think differently. In the 1990s, we caned Michael Fay for vandalism, he was just a 18 year old teen, and despite the US President appealing for him and the then giant superpower pressuring our small country, we caned him nonetheless. It set the world stage for our country's law, it will be enforced. Other than Michael Fay, we have other examples, like those involving capital sentences.
And you are proud of applying physical violence, obviously. You may walk in Michael's shows one day. Maybe it will light up something for you, and maybe one day Singapore will change the laws to a more civilized standard. At the moment, the laws are still one foot in the medieval system ..
If you call me 'being from older generation' then you must be much older than me - assuming that a younger generation would usually aspire to modernize a society and getting rid of the remainings of older times. But maybe the clock is ticking differently here :)

Caning, along with hanging, has always been part of our judicial system's punishment, and our law systems are an important part of our country's foundation. This is Singapore and we are Singaporeans.
And it cannot be changed for eternity, right?

If you are can't accept the law, then leave. If you are Singaporean, know that there are many many foreigners eager to take your place. If you are foreigner, why you even come here in the first place? The hill is always greener on the other side..
End of the day, you just sounds like one of those people who complain complain complain complain and complain, blame law, blame government, and still LPPL end of the day.
Is this all you can say? The daily singsong about foreigner versus local? Tell me about complaining ... Maybe you should check my earlier postings and tell me where you see such things before making blind accusations.

Every society has the responsibility to review its laws and the forms of punishments. I'm questioning the mindset of those who consider physical punishment still as a suitable for this era.

Last edited: