E300 Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Japan (incidentally, my pre-orderd E-300 arrived at my Tokyo office today but I will receive it only much later :( ), the camera can be bought at around S$1,400 (body + lens). Some message board has even given negative feedback, to the effect that anything less than 100,000Yen is questionable, and it will be a surprised that the E300 will be better than Canon's 300 ED.
Some of the fans who got hold of the camera were pleasantly surprised that the quality is not that ''cheapo'' (in their words). Then someone said that it is cheap coz Oly wants to sell the camera in China. In other words, there is much negative perception at least from the Japan market even before it was launched. Is this good for Olympus? From a holistic viewpoint, certainly not. I am amazed at Chinese tourists snapping up Feragamo, Gucco and LV products at Ngee Ann City. That says that as long as a brand has a strategy, it is not very good to deviate less you loose some of your customers. I am sure that the E-300 can fetch a premium for quality and brand. Whether it will sell like hot cakes now coz we have Quality + Price Attractiveness (at least Oly thinks the equation will be such)?Time will tell...

It's a balance. If the camera is priced too high, people will complain too.

Olympus's marketing strategy now is to target a different DSLR segment from the E1 (pros and semi-pros). It also need to have sufficient price differentiation from the E1 (for it to still be a "premium" luxury product).

Also, unlike Feragamo, Gucci or LV which focussed only on the highend, Olympus has always been making digital cameras for all segments of the market (from cheap auto digicams to pro-end E1).

For evolving products, timing is crucial. E300 with its very good features might have come a bit too late to do well whatever the pricing adopted. It's competing with at least 10 other non-pro DSLRs that cost less than $3k (when 300D was launched last year, it's competing with less than 5 such models and it's cheaper by a lot).

But as an Oly user, I am very happy that the price is so affordable :D

There will always be many people in our brand-oriented society who will simplistically equate high prices with value in every thing they buy so much so that some companies have exploited this to sell their products at much higher margins to give the impression that they are more valuable than what they really are, and in the process laughing all the way to the bank.

All businesses exist to make money. When the E-1 was first launched here, it was selling at ~$4,500+. Now the RRP is $2,999 ! All this for a pro-body with a 'L' quality lens. If Olympus can sell the E-1 at this price and still turn a profit, can you imagine what the mark-up is like for companies like Nikon and Canon? Frankly, if I was considering a camera in this price range now, I would take the E-1 instead of the 20D without any hesitation.

All I can say is that the current price strategy of Olympus is a boon to those who do their homework before plonking down their hard-earned money on either of these cameras for they must surely represent the best value for money in their respective categories amongst the DSLRs available today.

I think most amateur will prefer not to spend more than $1,000 on a digicam and they go for looks and smallness of size. Also, A&P expenses are very heavy upfront for new products. I don't know what Olympus cost of mannufacturing and distribution are but if A&P costs are kept at a minimum (hopefully, the low prices and word of mouth can help sell),then it's probably it will be fine. I don't think with such low prices, Olympus can afford the kind of publicity campaign as Nikon has done on its D70 and I think here, Nikon has done a fantastic job which not only have pushed up its sales for D70 but has increased awareness in the consumer market as well.

Agree, why not sell away your 20D and get a E-1 :bsmilie:
Wait.... There's rumour D2H price will drop to S$3100 :eek:

C&N certainly makes hell of profits (based on thier financial report this year ).
If everyone buy 20D until the shops run out of stock, the price will always remain high :cool:

tomcat said:
There will always be many people in our brand-oriented society who will simplistically equate high prices with value in every thing they buy so much so that some companies have exploited this to sell their products at much higher margins to give the impression that they are more valuable than what they really are, and in the process laughing all the way to the bank.

All businesses exist to make money. When the E-1 was first launched here, it was selling at ~$4,500+. Now the RRP is $2,999 ! All this for a pro-body with a 'L' quality lens. If Olympus can sell the E-1 at this price and still turn a profit, can you imagine what the mark-up is like for companies like Nikon and Canon? Frankly, if I was considering a camera in this price range now, I would take the E-1 instead of the 20D without any hesitation.

All I can say is that the current price strategy of Olympus is a boon to those who do their homework before plonking down their hard-earned money on either of these cameras for they must surely represent the best value for money in their respective categories amongst the DSLRs available today.

Hi Tomcat,

A few weeks ago,MS Color quoted me $2,750 (w/ GST) for the E-1 + 14mm-54mm lens kit( I did not ask for the E-1 only the 50mm lens and I think they were trying to cross sell). So, more incentive to buy. :D

serene said:
Hi Tomcat,

A few weeks ago,MS Color quoted me $2,750 (w/ GST) for the E-1 + 14mm-54mm lens kit( I did not ask for the E-1 only the 50mm lens and I think they were trying to cross sell). So, more incentive to buy. :D
That's a very good price... even cheaper than the 20D kit :bigeyes:
Unfortunately I'm so heavily invested in Canon that I can only 'play play' with the Four-Thirds system through the E-300. Also, the E-2 is expected sometime next year I hear, so who knows, if Olympus continue their present low-margin policy, I might just consider switching camp full time then.

Funny thing, I e-quote MS Colour on the 50mm Macro and just receive a reply that they do not know of such a lens. :dunno:

It seems that camera products in Malaysia are much cheaper than here. I wonder if the E-System cameras, lenses and accessories could be gotten at lower prices there too. If yes, it might just be worthwhile to get them from JB or KL. After all, Olympus Singapore now honours international warranty for all their products right?

Hi Tomcat,

MS Color quoted me $870 + 5%GST for the 50mm lens. If you have a Canon system already, perhaps (like what Nightpiper suggested in his other thread) you can get a 4/3 mount for Canon. In this way, you only need to buy a E-300 body. (body only is available next spring and I guess it is somewhere around $1,400) :)

serene said:
Hi Tomcat,

MS Color quoted me $870 + 5%GST for the 50mm lens. If you have a Canon system already, perhaps (like what Nightpiper suggested in his other thread) you can get a 4/3 mount for Canon. In this way, you only need to buy a E-300 body. (body only is available next spring and I guess it is somewhere around $1,400) :)
I don't have any 'L' lenses. The best lenses I have are macros so it is probably not worth my while to use them on the E-300 with an adapter losing all controls in the process. Anyway, the ZD 50mm Macro is a superb lens and has garnered a lot of very good user reviews and so is a 'must-have' for the kind of shooting I do. :)

serene said:
Hi Tomcat,

no can do, the E sys will not accept canon lenses irregardless L or non-L. reason: there's no aperture ring for manual control. in order for people to create the adaptors, the lens must have a manual adjustable aperture ring. so far, canon EF/S lenses are electronic auto apertures.

but u can get leica, OM or Carl Zesis (not forgetting Nikon). quite a big range to choose from. :bsmilie:

lastly, when u use the adaptor on the E1, u dun really lose all controls, just the Auto features only. its just like using a nikon FM2 or F3, u still can meter. just set the cam to A mode, set the desired aperture, manual focus, trigger the release button. simple as that, the cam will take care of the speed & exposure. :thumbsup:

serene said:
Hi Tomcat,

very good price! If I had no existing system, don't need IS/VR/AS, high burst rates and am willing to pay for an advanced body, the E1 is a very good choice.

mpenza said:
very good price! If I had no existing system and am willing to pay for an advanced body, the E1 is a very good choice.

After I have tested the E-300 n E-1, I may consider switching to Olympus.

1Ds said:
After I have tested the E-300 n E-1, I may consider switching to Olympus.

Is it really that good?

Parallel said:
Is it really that good?

Yes,should take a look at it if you have the time.
:)

Did any of you guys heard of the lens recall due to some arithmatic problem ? Well iam waiting for my E300, hopefully will get a call this week. I ordered the 45-150mm lens too. Regarding the OM adaptor, if all of us write to oly and ask for the free adaptor i think adds more punch. What you say ?

mpenza said:
very good price! If I had no existing system, don't need IS/VR/AS, high burst rates and am willing to pay for an advanced body, the E1 is a very good choice.

Why E1 and not E300, considering the fact that you are getting more value for money at 8MP instead of 5MP. :think: $1699 (with kit lens and free gifts) against $2999. :dunno:

bariq said:
Did any of you guys heard of the lens recall due to some arithmatic problem ? Well iam waiting for my E300, hopefully will get a call this week. I ordered the 45-150mm lens too. Regarding the OM adaptor, if all of us write to oly and ask for the free adaptor i think adds more punch. What you say ?

Got an invitation through Cathay Photo to a preview session on 17 Dec @ Olympus Imaging Singapore (491b River Valley Road, Valley Point Office Tower 12th Floor) from 7-9pm. Stocks are available first-come-first-serve basis; which I think all of us who had pre-ordered at Sitec can expect a call to collect our camera around the same time.

The preview offer differs from the Sitec offer by 1 1G card less, but throws in workshop and an expedition (without further details) at the same $1699 price.

i like biggie cameras ler...macho a bit...:D

jamestyemk said:
Got an invitation through Cathay Photo to a preview session on 17 Dec @ Olympus Imaging Singapore (491b River Valley Road, Valley Point Office Tower 12th Floor) from 7-9pm. Stocks are available first-come-first-serve basis; which I think all of us who had pre-ordered at Sitec can expect a call to collect our camera around the same time.

The preview offer differs from the Sitec offer by 1 1G card less, but throws in workshop and an expedition (without further details) at the same $1699 price.

Would you know if its possible to get invites for the event?

Status
Not open for further replies.