DSLR Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had just being given a Nikon DSLR D5000 as a gift. I would like to hear the review of this model? Is it good enough for a freelance photographer to take wedding shoots (ROM,Pre Wedding & Actual Day)?

Is it difficult to become a photographer for ROM, Pre Wedding and Actual Day Wedding for a totally noobie like me? I wanted to become one but i am not sure how to start to be one.

hi bro,

D5000 is good enough to take wedding shoots.

If you want the best cam, get a D3/D3X (for nikon system)

be prepared to pay tons of $$$$ for lenses, flash, accessories etc.

how to start?

starting shooting for frens, then as assistant wedding photog, finally as your own pro.

check out all the top wedding photogs' portfolios for ideas (e.g. imasaint, canturn, ckuang etc), and develop your own style.

post your wedding portfolio in CS to get feedback, comments and critiques.

attend wedding photog workshops. join wedding photographer associations.

etc etc etc.

to develop people skills, you just need to remember one thing..... be confident, yet humble, be creative, yet compassionate.

good luck!

:cool:

why cant u all just say whether d5000 good enuff or just other models better and comment on this rather on what pro skill or no skill. look at daredevil, he is giving good comments, i appreciate this type of comments, not those type of useless ones. There are just some senior member who like to go around forums and kwai lan with noobies.

Oppps missed this one. Thanks SuccessRoute! Now, about that discount on that D5000...... :p

BTW, all the uncle aunties brothers sisters here,

Please don't "see me no up". I am still using the D40x. Which I got for free 3rd hand....

*sob*....

I read this to make myself feel better every once in a while.

Last edited:
BTW, all the uncle aunties brothers sisters here,

Please don't "see me no up". I am still using the D40x. Which I got for free 3rd hand....

*sob*....

D40x is a solid cam lah.... see how Ken Rockwell raves about the D40?

:)

KRW roxxxxxxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

u all got to understand, u are not the only photographer around, u must stand out from the rest in order to survive.

We do understand. We make money from this. YOU DON'T. It's YOU who does not understand that "standing out" is not about your gear, but the output. If you have great gear and take lousy photos, you will stand out... In a bad way.

Yes i believe skills do play an important part but what good if u can only use mediocore camaras that can never give good quality images? I had tried some digital camaras, no matter how i take, the quality of the images sucks, so many pixelated dots or the image is not clear at all or blurry, so with this type of camara, will a pro will a very good skillset create quality photo images???

I don't think it was the camera that made the pictures bad and blurry. It was you.

and yes, a pro with good skillset will still create quality photo images.

Once upon a time there was a young career photographer. He was talented, but he didn't have much money.

Nevertheless, because it was the mid-'60's and he was reacting to his depression/war era parents, he thought that money wasn't important — art always came first.

Consequently while as his peers, who were developing their careers alongside his, bought Nikon Fs, M series Leicas and Hasselblads, our hero had to satisfy himself using Pentax and Minoltas along with inexpensive third-party lenses from Tamron, Tokina and the like. He reveled in the simplicity of his ways.

And, our hero succeeded. His photographs, made with cheap cameras on even cheaper lenses were widely published in major magazines, his better work was collected by major galleries and national institutions, and he was able to make a decent living as a freelance photojournalist.

Meanwhile his colleagues and competitors continued to tease and distress him about his not using "the best".

Then the illness struck. He started to believe that they might be right. As quickly as he could he started to buy top rated cameras and lenses. Nikons, Leicas, Contax, Hasselblads — all the top brands. His family's life-style suffered as he plowed more and more money into the finest camera bodies and lenses available. Finally his career as well as his personal life were in jeopardy as his spending exceeded his financial abilities.

Years later he reviewed this period of his life. With hindsight he saw how in fact his best work from that time of his life was done when he was poor and using so-called "amateur equipment". There was a freshness and a clarity of vision that became veiled by the later obsession with lines/mm, titanium bodies, exotic lens elements and the like.

Today he can afford to buy whatever equipment he wishes — and he does, and enjoys every one of them. But, he always remembers the lesson that difficult period of his life taught him.

(from The Luminous Landscape)

Last edited:
Zaren dude, he only raves about the D40. not the D40x. D60 come and gone, Now D3000 is here. I am 3 generations behind.... *sob*.

I had someone told me in my face once before that my D40x is a "low class" camera. :(:cry:

I am hitting the wall with the 40x. I want to use CLS, I have AFD lenses which I do MF. I've tried my dad's Ais lenses doing MF and M exp. I can really use an upgrade. I looked and looked at the D90 and a used D200... but somehow, never took the plunge. It took me a long while to jump into DSLR from my Fuji S9500. I only finally did it when my dad gave me his D40x, after my brother didn't need it anymore.

Make money not easy u know...

P.S. but my dad say i can talk out his hassies, F2, FM10, F4, Contax RF out any time i like. I also need to get his N 50mm f/1.2 fixed. And I seriously think his S2pro is beyond repair.... RIP...

D40x is a solid cam lah.... see how Ken Rockwell raves about the D40?

Last edited:
wwooo...

i'm a newbie myself in this hobby. since being hands on with Pentaz Z70 to Lumix FZ7 and now D90, i think you try to look at both perspectives. first, you can have the latest DSLR but if you are a newbie, chances are you won't get that 'best pics' on the first try out. keep on practicing the various functions and settings. volunteer to take pics for friends or functions, take as many shots as possible with different settings. and not forgetting, the lenses. yeah, put into practice with different set up and you'll see the difference. ask for comments, it'll help you along the way to improve as you move on.

secondly, i always tell myself that no harm will be inflicted if we start humble. ask around from the pros (not prostitute lah! the professionals) about the equipment that you gonna use or buy. u see, D5000 does not necessarily produce good shots if you are not familiar with the various settings. why? coz i've seen a D40 or D60 performing better. my point is, it's the guy behind that camera! attitude counts everytime you put your eyes thru' that viewfinder before pressing that shutter. of course you want the best outcome,right?

and i can vouch that a prosumer like LUMIX FZ7 (6mp) produces awesome shots in my eyes. coupled with a wide lens and/or 3X telezoom, the shots are just amazing. and now having a D70 for try out for my brother, i can say that it produce shots just as good if not better.(in my opinion)

i've seen a lot of close ups, nightshots pics in this club. and i'm glad that some of them are just inspirational! hence, it spurs me to further improve my skills.

just my opinion...

cheers(",)
papajanggo33

i am saying considered all the drivers are f1 trained, and schumacher is driving van, will he still win??

The first example given was of pro with pns and noob with dslr. Coherence fail already.

Who says 1.3litre~ cannot win big engines? Never watch Initial D before?

Seriously, are you even working? I can't help but think that you're a kid/student, from how you sound in your posts.

ask around from the pros (not prostitute lah! the professionals)

Teacher say cannot be dirty minded... no no no :nono:

about the equipment that you gonna use or buy. u see, D5000 does not necessarily produce good shots if you are not familiar with the various settings. why?

I've seen dudes using D300 with 2.8 lens making pictures worse looking than Canon Ixus.

Say... I tot the D5000 is just a stripped down version of D90? So technically IQ should be similar rite?

and i can vouch that a prosumer like LUMIX FZ7 (6mp) produces awesome shots in my eyes. coupled with a wide lens and/or 3X telezoom, the shots are just amazing. and now having a D70 for try out for my brother, i can say that it produce shots just as good if not better.(in my opinion)

Welcome to the club bro. I also came via the prosumer route. I went Fuji's way, from S7000 to S9500 to D40x. I had done film b4 when I was young... (yesh, I am uncle... *sob*)

i've seen a lot of close ups, nightshots pics in this club. and i'm glad that some of them are just inspirational! hence, it spurs me to further improve my skills.

We are here to inspire each other bro. :thumbsup:

I had just being given a Nikon DSLR D5000 as a gift. I would like to hear the review of this model? Is it good enough for a freelance photographer to take wedding shoots (ROM,Pre Wedding & Actual Day)?

Is it difficult to become a photographer for ROM, Pre Wedding and Actual Day Wedding for a totally noobie like me? I wanted to become one but i am not sure how to start to be one.

1st thing you need to know are you sure you want to be a full time freelance photographer?

2nd being a freelance photographer can make your ends needs?

3rd are you willing to sink in thousand and thousand of dollar to buy the equipment like a D3 and f2.8 lens?

4th are you confident that your investment can returned the money which you sink in?

5th can you outwit the competitior out there espically those who can offered a lower rates than yours?

Teacher say cannot be dirty minded... no no no :nono:

I've seen dudes using D300 with 2.8 lens making pictures worse looking than Canon Ixus.

Say... I tot the D5000 is just a stripped down version of D90? So technically IQ should be similar rite?

Welcome to the club bro. I also came via the prosumer route. I went Fuji's way, from S7000 to S9500 to D40x. I had done film b4 when I was young... (yesh, I am uncle... *sob*)

We are here to inspire each other bro. :thumbsup:

he he he he...can't help it man but laughing now... glad someone walk the path before me

cheers guyz:bsmilie:

We do understand. We make money from this. YOU DON'T. It's YOU who does not understand that "standing out" is not about your gear, but the output. If you have great gear and take lousy photos, you will stand out... In a bad way.

I don't think it was the camera that made the pictures bad and blurry. It was you.

and yes, a pro with good skillset will still create quality photo images.

sorry hor...i got bring the camera to a pro to use and the same effect come out, how do u say about that? he said there is nothing he can do as the camera can only provide this type of effect.

sorry hor...i got bring the camera to a pro to use and the same effect come out, how do u say about that? he said there is nothing he can do as the camera can only provide this type of effect.

Tell us then, what is this camera that you and your pro fren can't get good images out from??

The first example given was of pro with pns and noob with dslr. Coherence fail already.

Who says 1.3litre~ cannot win big engines? Never watch Initial D before?

Seriously, are you even working? I can't help but think that you're a kid/student, from how you sound in your posts.

Initial D? That is just a comic bro, be realistic, we are living in a real world man! And somemore the car look 1.3 litre but the engine is being upgraded my friend! If you take Jay Chou initial d, u can see that in the first real race, he lost deep deep with his car burnt in smokes!! it is only after that his dad upgrade his engine to a turbo engine then he win again...

Then he wasn't very pro at all. :)

Tell us then, what is this camera that you and your pro fren can't get good images out from??

Don't worry about it. It's all mystery pros, friends of friends, uncle's daughter's best friend's classmate's brother-in-law...

Status
Not open for further replies.