Dry Box or Dry Cabinet or None

my motto:

dun buy a DSLR if u cannot afford a dry cabinet!

dun think its about affordability? its more about cost effectiveness, if got only 1 dslr, and use daily, i dun even see the need for dry box..

but yeah, i think dry cab is useful long term. My dry cab is so full, i use it for everything...

I went to Carrefour @ Plaza Sing and John 3:16 @ Funan.
I saw 2 versions of dry cabinet there. One is the electronic display inside the cabinet (top right behind glass door) and the other is with the electronic display on top of the cabinet. Other than price differences, what advantages and limitations each cabitnets have?

I went to Carrefour @ Plaza Sing and John 3:16 @ Funan.
I saw 2 versions of dry cabinet there. One is the electronic display inside the cabinet (top right behind glass door) and the other is with the electronic display on top of the cabinet. Other than price differences, what advantages and limitations each cabitnets have?

Ok.. Found the differences.

One is analog control while the other is digital control.

Which is recommended? Seems that digitally controlled ones are much more expensive.

analog means that you just suka adjust the dial, and then based on the meter to agar if it is correct.

digital just means, i dial in % humidity, then the dry cabinet happily handle everything for you.

i find analog ok mar, but of course digital need to chup less.

Ok.. Found the differences.

One is analog control while the other is digital control.

Which is recommended? Seems that digitally controlled ones are much more expensive.

there's more read up here.

analog means that you just suka adjust the dial, and then based on the meter to agar if it is correct.

digital just means, i dial in % humidity, then the dry cabinet happily handle everything for you.

i find analog ok mar, but of course digital need to chup less.

So you using a digital one or analog one?

Actaully, I have pretty much decided to go for the digitally controlled AIPO. But just want to hear some assurance that my decision is correct. :p Yes, I hate myself too!

Last edited:
the fungus doesn't go "oh, you use analog dry cabinet and your humidity is not exactly at 47%, so I'll infest your camera equipment!"
heheheh as long as it's dry and inhospitable for the fungus, their growth will be significantly slowed.

So you using a digital one or analog one?

Actaully, I have pretty much decided to go for the digitally controlled AIPO. But just want to hear some assurance that my decision is correct. :p Yes, I hate myself too!

You have my assurance. I use AIPO 68L digital. It is damned good. The moment it arrived at my house, I plug in the socket and pretty threw in everything and went to sleep.

You have my assurance. I use AIPO 68L digital. It is damned good. The moment it arrived at my house, I plug in the socket and pretty threw in everything and went to sleep.

:thumbsup:

that's what i call, having a "peace of mind"

the fungus doesn't go "oh, you use analog dry cabinet and your humidity is not exactly at 47%, so I'll infest your camera equipment!"
heheheh as long as it's dry and inhospitable for the fungus, their growth will be significantly slowed.

Hey...fungus still fester and grow whether got dry cabi or not. The only diff is when we use more, it won't grow so fast. See all those 3.5 inch diskettes lying in the dry cabi...its growing some green carpet already. Anyway I solve the problem by adding mothballs.

My dry cabinet finally arrived. Its not an AIPO but a Digi-Cabi DHC-40. I got it at John 3:16. I have set the RH to 45% and everything is working well. The reading is at 45% and 30°c.
I have one concern though. The red LED seems to be always on and the power was never cut off even when the desired RH was achieved.

The cabinet arrived at 11am and was turned on until now. Could there be problems with the electronics?

Last edited:
the red led i think will always be on and it also indicate that the power is on. the diode will need to be kept on to maintain the RH level. someone pls correct me if i'm wrong.

I will get a 33L cabinet this weekend. Guys, for dry cabinet, is the electrical pub bills high ??

the red led i think will always be on and it also indicate that the power is on. the diode will need to be kept on to maintain the RH level. someone pls correct me if i'm wrong.

The red led is the power indicator.

Cheers:)

yet to buy my dry cabinet.. currently just put my camera in the EOS bag with the silica gel.. thinking to get it this week end or may be after another weak. is it ok?

I just bought a big plastic container and put in a thirsty hippo and my camera and lense.
$10 is what it takes..

I just bought a big plastic container and put in a thirsty hippo and my camera and lense.
$10 is what it takes..

Then you might be wrong.First,is your container air-tight?Those containers that come with your takeaway from food courts are not air-tight.

Second,if you don't have a hygrometer,how are you gonna control the RH inside your container?(Don't you dare ask back where to get hygrometer.Go and search!)

Third,1 lens=LENS.2 or more lens=LENSES.No such word called lense!

Lastly,thirsty hippo cannot be recycled.After one year,you'll find out that you had spent more on buying thirsty hippos than having a dry cabinet:)

Then you might be wrong.First,is your container air-tight?Those containers that come with your takeaway from food courts are not air-tight.

Second,if you don't have a hygrometer,how are you gonna control the RH inside your container?(Don't you dare ask back where to get hygrometer.Go and search!)

Third,1 lens=LENS.2 or more lens=LENSES.No such word called lense!

Lastly,thirsty hippo cannot be recycled.After one year,you'll find out that you had spent more on buying thirsty hippos than having a dry cabinet:)

Wah~~ okok~~ don so fierce lah~~ I noob only...