Do you remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odeon! I remember watching "The Empire Strikes Back" there!

Anyone remember the Red Bakery at Raffles Hotel? Or the shophouses between Raffles Hotel and Carlton Hotel?

The aquarium shops between Cathay Cinema and Paradiz centre?
The old buildings above Dhoby Ghaut MRT Station?
More shophouses where the Heeren now stands?

Probably very faint in many people's memories, if they can remember at all. And the amazing thing is, these places were there not that long ago! (Like I said, I'm not THAT old, lah.) Singapore changes so fast that so many of the places we grew up to know so well are either no longer around, or changed until they're no longer recognisable. I think people in their early 20s already feel this way, don't even talk about your parents or grandparents.

How would the place be in another 10-20 years down the road? Therefore, we should just take our cameras, and take many photos of random places in S'pore. Places that we pass by everyday, that we take for granted. I think it's safe to say they'll be gone before you know it.
How true.

Unfortunately, with the speed things are changing these days and the fact that we are a small country, we can't really afford to keep some of those things and buildings all around till they crumble to pieces like what other countries do.

When something new has to be built in the name of development, the old thing on top have to be cleared off to make way. But let the spirit of the past dwell within us. The physical building may be gone, but the memories remain. Let those lie and live within us. :)

Dunno if anyone remembers the set of hawker stalls underneath the expressway bridge near novena/thompson area. It had the best mutton chop.

Don't forget inner cut/ under cut.

There's more...
Half-price (Student fare) in buses was 5 cents
RI was situated at the current Raffles City.
RGS was opposite CHIJMES.
4 major bus companies in Singapore - ABC, ABS, UBC and STC.
New World, Gay World, Great World
Sarabat stalls along Waterloo Street
Tongkangs along the Singapore River
Paying water bills at City Hall.
Watching Cantonese movies at Jubilee Theatre.
Watching Ultraman movies at Globe Theatre.
Airfix model kits

No need to say, you definitely older than me. :sweatsm:

By the time I took bus, the fares already 25c. And there was SBS, TIBS and CSS (City Shuttle Service). I do remember Airfix kits (and the really cool catalogues) and the stinky S'pore River, though... :)

remember watching debate, talentime (e.g. faridah dollah, masquerade), "paper chase" , "crown court", "man in the net" etc on tv. :bsmilie:

VR Man !!!!!! James Lye!!!!! :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

remember watching debate, talentime (e.g. faridah dollah, masquerade), "paper chase" , "crown court", "man in the net" etc on tv. :bsmilie:

dun forget the totally cheesy dating show from ch8 jin tong yu nu... my parents were glued to it every nite when i was young.

scary... i actually know all the stuff synapseman listed... plus colombo court. :sweatsm:

and who remember doing ur sch checkups at the old outrum school health clinic?
and drinking milk every morning in those triangle tetrapaks?
brushing teeth along the longkang?
coke, sinaco, kickapo etc... in real glass bottles?
eating kaka?
movie tickets used to be in thin slips of paper?
bus tickets with bus conductors punching holes?
national theatre?

I posted the following list somewhere else and 3/4 of the people there didn't know 1/2 the stuff I was talking about. Let's test the crowd here, eh? :)

The ice-skating rink at Katong Shopping Centre

:sweat:
Oh dear, I miss lots of them, btw, are you sure there is a ice-skating rink at Katong Shopping Centre?? Not at Kallang park meh? just next to wonderland.
anyone still remember there are great world, beauty world, new world, gay world? the names may remain, but the places are long gone, only in our memories.

Oh dear, I miss lots of them, btw, are you sure there is a ice-skating rink at Katong Shopping Centre?? Not at Kallang park meh? just next to wonderland.
anyone still remember there are great world, beauty world, new world, gay world? the names may remain, but the places are long gone, only in our memories.

Yeah, I grew up with these worlds but only patronised Great World as a kid 'cos it was near to my house.

Great World - Kim Seng Rd
New World - Jalan Besar
Gay World - Kallang Rd (or Geyland Rd??)
Beauty World - Upp Bukit Timah Rd (near Jln Jurong Kechil)

Yeah, I grew up with these worlds but only patronised Great World as a kid 'cos it was near to my house.

Great World - Kim Seng Rd
New World - Jalan Besar
Gay World - Kallang Rd (or Geyland Rd??)
Beauty World - Upp Bukit Timah Rd (near Jln Jurong Kechil)

Great World - become shopping centre
New World - become condo
Gay World - is at Geyland Rd, part of it become a road
Beauty World - become shopping centre

dun forget the totally cheesy dating show from ch8 jin tong yu nu... my parents were glued to it every nite when i was young.

scary... i actually know all the stuff synapseman listed... plus colombo court. :sweatsm:

eating kaka?
national theatre?

hmm...that was when ch8 shows were in dialect....before they all were dubbed in mandarin.

V Sundramoorthy, Lim Tong Hai, Kahdir Yahya .. where are they now? And what happen to Super Sub Steven Tan??

Are they still into football or doing biz or ... :sweat:

And who remembers these words/stuff -

pasang
chope
lom chiam pass
"passup" homework
zero point, under pocket, one inch (these relate to the same game)
hopscotch
five stones (a local version and a Jap version that came later)
archie and friends
tintin
electric company
burt and ernie used to be JUST flatmates on sesame street :)
xiao tian tian (mandarin cartoon)
xue li (mandarin cartoon about a white dog and its owner)
tom sawyer
nancy drew
hardy boys
puffin books
pencil boxes with lots of buttons and magnetic strips
rediffusion (nothing to do with chemistry)
mah piu poh (cantonese lingo for newspaper)
da jia xue hua ya (learn mandarin campaign)
hao gong ming (moral education?? in primary school)
applying whitening emulsion to my bata canvas shoes

:embrass:

Dunno if anyone remembers the set of hawker stalls underneath the expressway bridge near novena/thompson area. It had the best mutton chop.

Don't forget inner cut/ under cut.

The Whitley hawker centre - which was originally in the space next to the flyover which is now a carpark before being moved under the flyover.

There are a lot of places or things which I went or done before but don't know how to say it out down here. My child hood time, catching fish at the drain next to the rail way tracks ard Bt Merah area. ;)

eating kaka?
national theatre?
My dear friend, u seemed to have forgotten the most important thing of all! :bsmilie:

Squatting at the longkang after every recess and the whole class would start brushing their teeth with those standardised toothbrush and the yellow/red/blue mug with the gold letterings that say something about Dental Hygiene.

How abt schools having dental nurses?

And that nice lady with that big Squirrel extolling the virtues of saving and urging us to start a savings account with just $1 (it sounds so big last time. I remember getting just $0.50 for lunch money) and we get some cute looking savings passbook and a squirrel savings piggy bank? ;p

Hehehehe.... Those were the days.

Haha! Now THAT's something from the past nobody wants to remember.

Probably especially James Lye.
James Lye a marketing manager at Citibank now right? :think:

That was partly becos he used to be the poster boy for Citibank with their PhotoCard that landed him in the 999 and VRMan thing.

James Lye a marketing manager at Citibank now right? :think:

That was partly becos he used to be the poster boy for Citibank with their PhotoCard that landed him in the 999 and VRMan thing.

wong li lin used to be soo pretty then. Really miss her in action. ;p

I'm not sure if this is applicable...
But my batch was the last to have the pre-primary class (i.e. K2 but in the primary school that you'll be enrolled in for Pri 1.)
ha...
I still remember that school was one full afternoon session class.
We had special uniform, different from the primary students.
I was so blur that i forgot to tell the teacher that I'm taking my graduation photo at the end of K1.
So...
Class still the same as a K2 class, just that got primary school teacher to teach.
Then got "recess" served at the canteen and ate with the big brothers and sisters.
After that got short nap under the black board with our towels.
Sometimes we sleep,
Sometimes we wishper (which is not allowed).
Sometimes we look at spiders under the black board.
Hahaha.

At the end of each sem, still got oral somemore to get your grade for that sem.
Got report book where it stores your oral grades for your parents to see and sign.

Ha
anyone went thru similar system as me???

Status
Not open for further replies.