Do you feel you are being judge with the Camera you use?

Sometimes, asking about the camera model can be just an innocent conversational filler.
It might be the person who was asked was a bit too sensitive and hung up on camera brands himself and thus interpret the question in the wrong manner.

It may be a conversation starter... The general population may not be familiar with photography, but they know their cameras!

I used to ask the same question before just to start a conversation.
I guess the safest question is to ask: What type of photography are you in to?

As what many have commented, it is the pictures that matters. Then again, there is Photoshop (although there is only so much you can PS).

From a businessman/photographer angle, you only need to convince your clients. They are the ones who pay for your gears anyway. I have seen someone who is using a 10D and still have clients lining up his freetime schedules for their wedding shots.

From a personal perspective, once you hold a DSLR, the general viewpoint from friends or relatives is that the pictures must come out nice. The more expensive it looks, the better the pictures. Sometimes, I just bring my camera out. Shoot only when needed/required. You shoot for your own keeping/sharing. You determine the kind of photos you want to keep.

So, it is the perception of the individual holding the camera that decides how others can affect him. Same like a camera, you aim, focus on the subject, then you shoot.

I used to ask the same question before just to start a conversation.
I guess the safest question is to ask: What type of photography are you in to?

Alternatively we can also ask , "where do you shop for gears at ? " haha a gear related question but less sensitive sheesh :)

it's true, sometimes people ask what camera model you are using just to start up a conversation. same like what lenses you using, what you normally shoot, etc.

for people who judge others based on camera models, just ignore them. as long as you are happy with your camera and it does what you want it to do, then that's all that matters. in fact choose equipments that work for you rather than what may look good to other people