Do you feel you are being judge with the Camera you use?

I have always feel that, many a times, we are being judge by the camera we use rather than the how much are into photography or how well we are able to bring across the what we want to express with our pictures.

I have encounter on so many occasions, that once the topic of photography were brought up , the next question would be .... What camera you use ah? Then, the reply will often be " wah you use a expensive camera woh" or ,"wah lao! still on such a old camera ah"

Do share your thoughts on this. Would really like to hear how fellow CSers feel of this.

OK I feel terrible...:(

I proudly use Sony Mavica 1 Mega Pixel with fully auto everything so I never miss a shot. If I miss then my excuse is my camera is toooooooo slow. Old meh? I already 98 years old and not sure new technology can suit me or not.:bsmilie:
mavicafd7lg.jpg

My daughters don't care if I take pictures of them with my cheapo 10 year old PnS or my latest Dslr !

...and thats what's most important to me. :bsmilie:

I have always feel that, many a times, we are being judge by the camera we use rather than the how much are into photography or how well we are able to bring across the what we want to express with our pictures.

I have encounter on so many occasions, that once the topic of photography were brought up , the next question would be .... What camera you use ah? Then, the reply will often be " wah you use a expensive camera woh" or ,"wah lao! still on such a old camera ah"

Do share your thoughts on this. Would really like to hear how fellow CSers feel of this.
sometime people are nice but don't know how to start a meaningful conversation with a photographer, since they don't have any clues about photography, you may find their conversation very shallow, just bear with them.

you can choose to educate them, or just change the subject, remember to treat them nicely. Since you are suppose to be more knowledgeable then them.

Agree some members here, only when a photographer lack of knowledge, or less of confident on their crafts, will be trouble by such comments.

Yes I was laughed by my teacher in school. He was using a 5D and he said a 550D is crap.

So, after 2 years, I'm so gonna get a 06' 750hp stage 3 WRX and a 1DS mark series and i wanna prove everyone Im not playable.

Having said all that, I wouldn't really hire a professional to take photographs for me if he doesn't have at least reasonably good gear.

Would you hire someone to take your wedding shots knowing that all he has is a PnS and a Lomo?

It's not that I'd doubt his ability. It's more that given his ability, his potential to produce better images is curtailed by cheap equipment. And to some extent, the equipment may represent how commited the person is to his craft.

In the business world, image matters. A LOT.

It doesn't matter what YOU think. It matters what the paying client thinks.

But as far as casual/social photography is concerned, I say "Ah, screw 'em...!" :devil:

one of the buddies always says this in his facebook albums..

the best camera is the one the you have with you~! :thumbsup:

Having said all that, I wouldn't really hire a professional to take photographs for me if he doesn't have at least reasonably good gear.

Would you hire someone to take your wedding shots knowing that all he has is a PnS and a Lomo?

for sure.....if the photog is or similar in talent as Edward Steichen , Haas, Annie Lebowitz, Chase Jarvis etc etc etc ..... they could use a mobile phone for all I care

for a start? may be they don't know how to start a conversion????

well, i think whatever people judge you with, in the end, if you have scatty pictures, what they think in their mind will be based on the pictures.

there will be the rare blind lot who will think that because you have a dslr, then you can produce good pictures. these are the ones who will become gear whores when they ever pick up photography. :) so why do you have to care what they think?

for that matter, do you shoot to gain praise? respect? self-value? then please refrain, all that is self-derived. everything else is but illusions.

I like what Americans do.

Don't talk so much. SHOW US THE PICTURE!

Indian - The India Press busy scouting Peninsula Plaza and buying all the D2's, D200s to replace their D1s, D100s at the moment. Some Struggling to buy film to shoot.
Vietnamese - still shooting film and takes an average of them half a year to pay off a D200. Spends most of their weekends in Darkroom and trying to keep their editing software up to date.
China Chinese - Earn about 4 times less, work 10 times harder to get recognition from all the competition in China
Malaysian - Earn half our pay, shoot twice our standard. Taking over Photo assistant jobs (not to mention the Myanmar and Thais are doing that as well)
American - Earn 1.4x our pay, wait 1.4x longer to get their gear (courier takes time).. so they use this time to shoot and make loads of videos on youtubes marketing their talent

Singaporeans...... you fill in the blank. :-}

Cheers!

Indian - The India Press busy scouting Peninsula Plaza and buying all the D2's, D200s to replace their D1s, D100s at the moment. Some Struggling to buy film to shoot.
Vietnamese - still shooting film and takes an average of them half a year to pay off a D200. Spends most of their weekends in Darkroom and trying to keep their editing software up to date.
China Chinese - Earn about 4 times less, work 10 times harder to get recognition from all the competition in China
Malaysian - Earn half our pay, shoot twice our standard. Taking over Photo assistant jobs (not to mention the Myanmar and Thais are doing that as well)
American - Earn 1.4x our pay, wait 1.4x longer to get their gear (courier takes time).. so they use this time to shoot and make loads of videos on youtubes marketing their talent

Cheers!

yes, such is the case... take a look at Israel.. they are surrounded by enemies.. so they LL got to be good in their technology... hence their weapons are really good and advanced..

sometimes the more poor u r, the better u can perform.. cos need to work hard to produce results...

Cheers!

??? what are you trying to say? :dunno:

i'm using a canon 400D, it doesn't bother me. hhaha

This is a condition common with people with an urge to live according to other people's standards

Actually a cheaper camera gives me LESS stress.... nobody has any good expectations .... lousy pics ? Blame it on the camera loh ! You have good camera but turn out crap, the pressure is on you :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

and i like this.

i'll like to clarify though. there is 1 photography where equipments really matter. sports. try getting a midair ball throw shot with a 450d +55-250mm on ai servo, vs a 70-200 2.8+1dmk4 ai servo. i cant get the shot. especially when its too damned dark. thats probably the only thing that i think u need equipmetns that matter.

apart from that, portraits, candids, street, landscape. u name it. the rest dun really need that crazy amt of equipments.

tbh I tend to wonder what sort of photography some folks engage in when they're carrying massive zoom lenses along orchard road on the weekends... are they taking pictures of girls on the sly or just having an ego trip? :)

I've been using my "entry level" D40 for years and I don't feel the urge to splash out on some fancy camera because I'm not a professional, I'm just an enthusiast who wants to be mobile and capture interesting images!

In fact, I spend more time challenging myself to SHOOT better pictures rather than worry about what people think about my apparently crummy D40... let the jokers cart their massive kits around and TALK about taking pictures, tweaking their settings and dreaming about owning more gear...

real photographers SHOOT first, then TALK later.

walking the talk: http://www.coroflot.com/errikwong

Very nice impressive, but not surprising given that he used professional lighting and even professional retouching!

Cheers!

Singaporeans - spend all our time complaining about gear on Clubsnap? ;p