Do still use the Basic/Auto modes??

Status
Not open for further replies.
0% Auto
85% A mode - most used
10% S mode - when I need motions
5% M - when metering fails in night shots

I default my camera to P-mode so that when I need to capture an image in an instant, I don't have to worry about settings on the cam.

But otherwise, it's usually A- or M-mode.

For me, A (aperture) mode is also Auto mode already. ISO, shutter speed... everything else just changes automatically. Or does the real Auto setting do more than that?

Aperture, Shutter priority and manual as needed for me.

Ryan

Actually if you use full auto or P mode to shoot anything, it will still look different from a PnS because of the bokeh, colours, dynamic range, sharpness, contrast and noise, among many other things. There are many other technical differences between a DSLR and PnS that is worth the premium you paid; that makes a photo from a DSLR different from a PnS. The AI aspect is just one of the many.

Most people grow out of the auto mode because basically they know what aspect of the exposure to control to get the effects they want. In other words, they want better control.

There's absolutely no reason to feel guilty using the auto modes on your DSLR if you know exactly *why* you use it. For me, only when I pass the camera to another person to help me take a photo.

Last edited:
Unless I am shooting in conditions where change of lighting condition is frequent, M is the only mode I use. Your pictures' exposure will be more consistent as well.

thanks all...majority says no automode..so whats the use?..why not make 1 full auto or P mode, aperture & shutter mode, a-def and M, the rest will be custom settings in the dial.Personally, 3 custom setting is not enough to me....
thanks again.

thanks all...majority says no automode..so whats the use?..why not make 1 full auto or P mode, aperture & shutter mode, a-def and M, the rest will be custom settings in the dial.Personally, 3 custom setting is not enough to me....
thanks again.

because.....

there are a lot of people who don't bother to read up on photography when they buy dslr.. nothing wrong with that either, if they have the money

hahahaha point taken night86mare, and if i may add its also cool for some to have a big camera around their neck, which again, theres nothing wrong with that hehehe

hahahaha point taken night86mare, and if i may add its also cool for some to have a big camera around their neck, which again, theres nothing wrong with that hehehe

i never felt its cool - its too huge , too bulky, need to change lens, need to put lens cap, weigh more than 2kg, and attract lots of attention!. not to mention there u need a set of lens for macro and also flash,bounce card, huge tripods, you need dry cabin, worry abt dust and fungus, filters, and assorted number of bags and lots of money too. :sweatsm:

i wished my dslr is the size of a point and shoot with similar capabilties and lens that do not need to change with L/ trinity series IQ!:bsmilie:

after paying so much for my dslr,
i use P only n worries myself with just the composition.

anyone with problem using P mode should read up the manual.

during my days of learning to use the SLR,
only canon's top of the line has all the auto mode, P,A n S, the A-1.

On my DSLR,
P: 0%
M: 90%
A: 10%
S: 0%

I only use auto mode on PnS camera....

Mostly im using A while sometimes M.

I only use Auto like cause i do journalistic kind of photography for my school and spur of the moment mahs, need to get correct exposures and depth of field. so i use auto till i get a few good shots then move to A for some creative shooting., And then M when it comes to taking photos of the principal. Photos of him in abundance mahs. Lots of lousy also can, just use some photos from long long ago.

i never felt its cool - its too huge , too bulky, need to change lens, need to put lens cap, weigh more than 2kg, and attract lots of attention!. not to mention there u need a set of lens for macro and also flash,bounce card, huge tripods, you need dry cabin, worry abt dust and fungus, filters, and assorted number of bags and lots of money too.

i wished my dslr is the size of a point and shoot with similar capabilties and lens that do not need to change with L/ trinity series IQ!

canon G10 lohs:D full manual mode:D:D or that leica M8.2:D:D about $9000. teehee/

Nope, never use Green Square or Creative Auto unless I am handing my camera to someone else to take photos. No scene modes on the 5D2 anyway.

80% Aperture Priority
10% Shutter Priority
10% Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.