Delhi to Ladakh rejoiced (H series)

Cool, thanks for the detailed explanation :)
I've always been shooting pple rather secretly, which is something I need to change... I guess all I had to do was to ask. I noticed that most of them don't have really forced smiles... was that all by luck/technique in capturing their moods, or are they that natural at smiling :bsmilie:

by luck i guess.

DSC_3701%20icfs.jpg

book on bollywood cinema. taken at connaught square, new delhi

DSC_3701%20icfo.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_2351icfs.jpg

road workers at chang la

DSC_2351icfo.jpg

DSC_0565%20icfs.jpg

again, our driver, thakuk

DSC_0565%20icfo.jpg

Hi

Just wanted to ask whether did you ask the driver to slow down when driving past these workers?

the car is moving slowly, and slower when there are people around. but it is not so much of the speed, but the bumpiness of the road.

the car is moving slowly, and slower when there are people around. but it is not so much of the speed, but the bumpiness of the road.

I always find it hard to shoot while in the coach, be it due to the speed of the vehicle, the reflection from the window etc.

I always find it hard to shoot while in the coach, be it due to the speed of the vehicle, the reflection from the window etc.

these are shoot out of the window without a pane, and as we are quite close to the passer by. you will not get the same effect on coach, as they are much further away at a lower position, and the coach window panes are usually very very dirty.

DSC_3774%20icfs.jpg

humuyun tomb, one of the side building (polygonal) that serves as our shelter during a short drizzle

DSC_3774%20icfo.jpg

DSC_2046jcfs.jpg

portrait at rizong school.

DSC_2046jcfo.jpg

You shot well and the pictures were enhanced by the commentary. A slow egg layer that lays bountiful. Keep it up.

thanks, daoyin. the commentary is sometimes for my own records.

DSC_1539kcfs.jpg

Namgyal Tsemo Gompa in the distance, taken from vantage at shanti gompa

DSC_1539kcfo.jpg

DSC_3027kcfs.jpg

goats at khardung la. taken from a low vantage as the goats run forward.

DSC_3027%20kcfo.jpg

hai TS,

Are you a national geographic photographer? hehe
hehe.. i love your pic... i think your pic should be included in the natioanal geographic magazine.. :)

and all the pictures were taken by nikon D50?

DSC_0969fcfjrs.jpg

the morning chimney and smoke. got me really excited when i see smoke. smoke and dust are dynamic elements that evokes mood by interplay with light, and becos they ain't always present, they makes refreshing pictures all the time for me. the most underexposed try gives me the best result. (u can consider tuning your gamma setting on your computer if this picture looks too dark)

DSC_0969fcfjr.jpg

Hai TS,

what white balance you use in this picture?

and what white balance you use when the sun is right on top?
example:
DSC_1368iafjr.jpg

hehe.. sometime I use "sunny" white balance, but come out with a dull color. :)

Last edited:
hai TS,

Are you a national geographic photographer? hehe
hehe.. i love your pic... i think your pic should be included in the natioanal geographic magazine.. :)

and all the pictures were taken by nikon D50?

a national geographic photographer won't be posting here in clubsnap since their shots are commissioned. those that are published in the magazine are of such high standards that i know they are only meant to be look at and not achieved. a few gems (not published in print) can also be seen at NG website, although i enjoy reuters more (NG stay closer to wildlife and natural geography, and human geography isn't that big in proportion. on the contrary, reuters have a bigger general/war news coverage versus entertainment/sports/technology). i'm honored to hear that but my style is a little unconventional and standards are far off. i do think binbeto's shots are much closer to that. check out his szechuan thread.

the shots are so far taken by nikon D50, but in due time prior to my next travel, i would upgrade to D90 as i have limited vision with D50 and unacceptable noise at ISO 800. sensor vibration for cleaning also helps as i do frequent lens change.

Last edited:
DSC_0969fcfjrs.jpg

what white balance you use in this picture?

auto.

DSC_1368iafjrs.jpg

and what white balance you use when the sun is right on top?
hehe.. sometime I use "sunny" white balance, but come out with a dull color. :)

cloudy.

these are nikon white balance modes. i have a preference for warmer tones and tend to shoot at cloudy mode. occasionally, i will set to auto if i find the cloudy mode too warm, and rarely i correct for tungsten and fluorescent light indoor or at night. i do bring a expodisc but finds it cumbersome to set custom wb correction on travel. if needed to, i will change to daylight white balance on raw conversion. sometimes i do post processing to correct for color cast but results are usually not good.

i'm not sure about sunny mode. is that from another brand? it should approximate daylight mode, but different brands handle colors differently even with their equivalent white balance modes. so your sunny mode may be different from my daylight mode.

as for your question, for bright day light, i use cloudy, auto or daylight modes. it depends on the scene and what mood you wanted the picture to portray. as for dull colors, it may or may not relate to the white balance. it could be due to the subject (whose color is dull), the glass or the exposure (especially if higher exposure).

thanks or the reply... i am using D60.. oo yeah..it is not "sunny", but daylight.. :)

yah, try cloudy if your daylight mode is too neutral for your taste.

DSC_1582%20kcfs.jpg

at the edges of the tiled square that sits the shanti gompa, a tourist beholds the sparse grounds from the height.

DSC_1582%20kcfo.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_2420lcfs.jpg

i won't say the composition is desirable but i find a good orangish fur against the blue, a strong combination. the distance and placement of the yak is first of all limited by the wariness against my approach. each time i inch forward, the yak turns away. the best is to have a good closer distance, have the body at slight oblique and with the head turn towards me. i have another with the head in good side oblique profile but the body is perpendicular to me. i chose this instead becos i can show the horns and the fur relatively better. and yes, the legs are cropped off, but i need to cover the composition up there too and i didn't want too little of the sky - a 4/3 frame will probably solve this issue here.

DSC_2420lcfo.jpg