DA*60-250 f4 "test" photos x 14 images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool lense you own, Lance. This bird seems well fed ... must be a popular park with the local families. :bsmilie:

LOL. :bsmilie:

Yes, these birds are well fed. I wonder if they can still fly with all that weight! :bsmilie:

Hi Lance,

how fast is the AF for the 60-250? Is it faster than your 300?

Hi Lance,

how fast is the AF for the 60-250? Is it faster than your 300?

I would say that the DA*60-250 is faster than the DA*300, but they are both a little slower than I would like. I have heard that the K7 will speed them up considerably. :)

I tried one of the guy's Sigma 100-300 and I can tell straight away that it is faster than the Pentax. AND it is just plain old screw driven! AF-C tracking is better too.
I think the 60-250 will be similar to the Sigma.
I think the reason is the focus travel. The zooms have much shorter degree of travel, am I right?

I tried one of the guy's Sigma 100-300 and I can tell straight away that it is faster than the Pentax. AND it is just plain old screw driven! AF-C tracking is better too.
I think the 60-250 will be similar to the Sigma.
I think the reason is the focus travel. The zooms have much shorter degree of travel, am I right?

Yes, they are generally shorter in the focus travel, but all AF lenses these days are much shorter in focus travel. The DA*60-250 has a shorter focus travel than the DA*300.

Hey Lance,

Nice pictures :) Looks like a really nice lens...would be nice to have one :)

Could you post also some pictues wide-open (F4) ?
As wide as possible 60mm and somewhere in the middele and at the longest end ?

Hey Lance,

Nice pictures :) Looks like a really nice lens...would be nice to have one :)

Could you post also some pictues wide-open (F4) ?
As wide as possible 60mm and somewhere in the middele and at the longest end ?

Hi Priyantha Bleeker,

Yes, I should have posted some wide open shots from this lens, but I neglected to take any. Silly me!! :angry:

As this lens needs to be able to be used wide open, then it stands to reason that I should have tried some shots this way. If people have to forego f2.8, then an f4 lens of this calibre needs to be able to be used wide open. I shall endeavour to get some shots at f4, and 60mm, 120mm and 200mm as soon as I can. :)

And while you are at it., please shoot the same subject with your 300. THANK YOU!!!

Hi Lance

The photos are very beautiful as always!

Now I understand why the lens is longer off the zoom, the focus is more internal.

Not understand the fact that it is actually only 250mm and 200mm seem, could explain better?

I am starting to shoot football and currently use the DA 50/200, a good lens for its price, and more than fulfills this kind of sport.

I am buying a 60/250, I am still in doubt between it and the 300mm, what do you think?

I would like if possible a comparison test with the DA 300 and DA 60/250, with respect to focal length, as the quality, both are excellent, if possible post some pictures to share.

Thanks

Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo
pedro.azevedo@ig.com.br
Santos - São Paulo - Brasil
http://pegazevedo.multiply.com/

Hi Lance

The photos are very beautiful as always!

Thank you very much, Pedro. :)

Now I understand why the lens is longer off the zoom, the focus is more internal.

Not understand the fact that it is actually only 250mm and 200mm seem, could explain better?

I hope I understand your question and so I will answer what I think you asked. I know I made mention of the fact that at 250mm the lens may only be 200mm in some circumstances. My answer:

The focal length of all lenses is measured when the lens is at infinity focus. Therefore a 300mm lens measures 300mm when the lens is set to infinity focus, at close focus, then lens may only be 290mm or maybe 285mm depending on the lens design. A 200mm lens, when set to infinity focus, is 200mm but at close focus, it may only be 185mm or 190mm depending on lens design.

A zoom lens is also measured this way. So a 60-250 zoom will be 60mm to 250mm at infinity focus. At close focus, it may actually be 50mm to 200mm or 48mm to 210mm depending on lens design.

You can usually see the lens alter the focal length, especially a zoom, when you alter the focus from infinity to close focus. A particular subject will be bigger in viewfinder at infinity focus and get slightly smaller when you set the lens to close focus.

I hope this is clear for you as I know English is not your first language. If you still do not understand, please ask and I will try to explain it better. :)

I am starting to shoot football and currently use the DA 50/200, a good lens for its price, and more than fulfills this kind of sport.

I am buying a 60/250, I am still in doubt between it and the 300mm, what do you think?

Difficult to say. You need to know what you require for the football games. Do you require longer than the DA50-200? If you do need longer, do you need much longer? 250mm is not all that much longer than 200mm and you may need to get the DA*300.

If you do not need much longer than 200mm but you want better quality and f4, then the DA*60-250 will be great.

I would like if possible a comparison test with the DA 300 and DA 60/250, with respect to focal length, as the quality, both are excellent, if possible post some pictures to share.

Both lenses are super sharp and there will be little difference between them. I will try to get some test photos done at some stage.

Thanks

pedro.azevedo@ig.com.br
http://pegazevedo.multiply.com/[/QUOTE]

Hi Lance

Thank you for explanations, you as always is very helpful, patient and kind!

Yes I understand the difference in focal length and its explanation is very much in helping me choose a lens series * STAR.

I was inclined to buy the lens of 60/250 which is much more versatile than a fixed lens, but in compensation the difference in range of 200 to 250 is too small for the sports that I like to shoot, Football and Surf. The focal length of 300mm is not the ideal, but with the 200mm, is a significant increase.

As the quality of these two lenses DA* 60/250 and DA* 300mm, I no have doubt!

I understand everything perfectly, sorry for the mistakes of writing, but only with the help of Google Translate.

In October 2008 I met Jon Skaptason (Jonska) in Iceland through the Dpreview.com and we became friends, and he was here in Brazil in May of 2009 to visit his daughter who plays soccer in the team Santos FC here in Santos , my city.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32046728

Thank you for your loving care

pedro.azevedo@ig.com.br
http://pegazevedo.multiply.com/

Last edited:
Hi Lance

Thank you for explanations, you as always is very helpful, patient and kind!

My pleasure! :)

Yes I understand the difference in focal length and its explanation is very much in helping me choose a lens series * STAR.

I was inclined to buy the lens of 60/250 which is much more versatile than a fixed lens, but in compensation the difference in range of 200 to 250 is too small for the sports that I like to shoot, Football and Surf. The focal length of 300mm is not the ideal, but with the 200mm, is a significant increase.

As the quality of these two lenses DA* 60/250 and DA* 300mm, I no have doubt!

I understand everything perfectly, sorry for the mistakes of writing, but only with the help of Google Translate.

Good to hear that I could explain it for you to easily understand. :)

In October 2008 I met Jon Skaptason (Jonska) in Iceland through the Dpreview.com and we became friends, and he was here in Brazil in May of 2009 to visit his daughter who plays soccer in the team Santos FC here in Santos , my city.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32046728

I have left a comment there.

My 2 daughters used to play soccer up until they were 18 and were very good at it, but they have since stopped. :( I used to love going to watch them play, but sadly no more. :(

Thank you for your loving care

Again, my pleasure to help.

Good luck with your lens choice.

pedro.azevedo@ig.com.br
http://pegazevedo.multiply.com/[/QUOTE]

Hi, Lance

Thanks for your great photos!

One quick question, in terms of image quality, do you think this one could match FA*80-200?

Hi, Lance

Thanks for your great photos!

Thank you for your very nice comment. :)

One quick question, in terms of image quality, do you think this one could match FA*80-200?

For sharpness, definitely. The DA*60-250 f4 is certainly *very* sharp and possibly sharper than the FA*80-200, if that is at all possible!! ;) For overall IQ, well, I still haven't made up my mind on that, yet. The FA*80-200 f2.8 has that certain Pentax FA* "look" to the IQ and it would appear that the DA*60-250 does not really have. Having said that, the IQ of the DA*60-250 is superb in itself. Suffice to say that the FA*80-200 is no longer in my bag as the default lens in this zoom range but then neither is the DA*50-135. :)

I will post a few more images from my DA*60-250 in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.