DA*60-250 f4 "test" photos x 14 images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be too hasty, my friend. There is one small issue with the DA*60-250 f4 and that is that when you focus on a close subject and you are extended to 250mm, the lens is not really 250mm when focused close, more like 200mm. So, of you want reach *and* to focus close, then keep your F*300 as it is a gem too. I am keeping my 300. :)

Okay, that's what I felt too. That's why I told many guys, if you want the reach, get a tele prime lens :)

Nice :D

One question is I wonder if this 60-250mm with K20D can catch fast moving objects like F1???

For F1 I think you need to prefocus and keep shutter speed high...

Thank you for your kind comments.

It is Internal Focus, just not Internal Zoom. I do not think that it the fact that it is not Internal Zoom is too much of a problem, for me anyway.

I think that Pentax decided to not make it an Internal Zoom because it would compromise quality and also add to cost and probably weight. I am quite happy that they made this decision.

my bad, yes i was refering to Internal Zoom. :bsmilie:

All these shots were handheld, with SR on.

With SR on, you should be able to get down to about 1/30sec at 250mm with practice and a stationary subject and reasonably easily at 1/60sec. The first photo in the 3rd set of images was handheld at 1/80sec and as you can see by the crop, it is razor sharp!

The rule of thumb is 1/focal length x 1.5. So, for a 200mm lens this is 1/200x1.5 = 1/300sec. With SR, you can easily get 2 stops and with practice 3 stops slower shutter speed. If you are very careful, you can get up to 4 stops depending on the lens. So, with the same 200mm lens, then 2 stops - 1/200 x 1.5 = 1/300 sec, then 1/150sec, then 1/75sec. For 3 stops - 1/200 x 1.5 = 1/300 sec then 1/150 sec, then 1/75 sec, then 1/38sec.

Thank you for the reply, this is very informative :)

After seeing desmond's fanstastic wakeboarding photo, i was thinking of buying FW sigma zoom lens in the B&S but with this gem of a lens, i am reconsidering. :think:

nice post! :thumbsup:

After seeing desmond's fanstastic wakeboarding photo, i was thinking of buying FW sigma zoom lens in the B&S but with this gem of a lens, i am reconsidering. :think:

nice post! :thumbsup:

Thank you very much. :)

Nice :D

For F1 I think you need to prefocus and keep shutter speed high...

Hi dnaxe

I tried my camera with tokina 60-300mm f4 for night F1 and found all my images too bad and blur :cry: :thumbsd:

That's why I am thinking of buying 60-250mm SDM if this is good enough for night F1 or fast moving objects.

Thank you for the photos, Lance. This make me want the lens now.:sweatsm:

Glad to see these samples, at least you shown what can the len can really achieve ... it sort of become I got to get this len someday, seeing all these sharp and naturally contrasty samples ... Could you imagine, one day all pentaxian mininum stardard have all these kind of samples....

What more could I ask for, Pentax is fighting tough...

A non-sports, non-birding, non-long-telephoto shooter here, but I still can appreciate -- and deep down in my heart -- want this!

Oh well, I'll crop..

Hi dnaxe

I tried my camera with tokina 60-300mm f4 for night F1 and found all my images too bad and blur :cry: :thumbsd:

That's why I am thinking of buying 60-250mm SDM if this is good enough for night F1 or fast moving objects.

were you panning? Link to shots?

F1 is really kinda demanding, apparently to get a high enough shutter speed, you need a brighter bit of track, 2.8, ISO 3200.

--
BTW, my shots completely SUCKED. Sigh. Maybe this year :)

Last edited:
Hi dnaxe

why do you want to take still pics... even if u are able to capture... isn't it a boring pic... no difference from shooting a car park in the car park... thats what darran heath said during a seminar talk on F1 shooting which i attended last year... he is one of the top F1 photographer and principal photographer for F1 Racing magazine...

its about speed, so the pics should emphasize on a sense of speed, no point shoot still pics of the F1 cars... just plane boring pics and no different from the rest...

believe it or not the best pics are blur... or panning shots... u dun need fast shutter... just need plenty of practice thats all... if its so easy then anyone can be a F1 photographer... :)

Anyone know how much it cost??:think:

why do you want to take still pics... even if u are able to capture... isn't it a boring pic... no difference from shooting a car park in the car park... thats what darran heath said during a seminar talk on F1 shooting which i attended last year... he is one of the top F1 photographer and principal photographer for F1 Racing magazine...

its about speed, so the pics should emphasize on a sense of speed, no point shoot still pics of the F1 cars... just plane boring pics and no different from the rest...

believe it or not the best pics are blur... or panning shots... u dun need fast shutter... just need plenty of practice thats all... if its so easy then anyone can be a F1 photographer... :)

i rmb when i was still really new last year, i shot drifting cars at high shutter speeds that froze the wheels. instead of looking like high-octane drift cars in action, they looked like they had stalled and the engine caught fire with all that smoke behind the car. end up i had to cheat & add motion blur to the background and radial blur to the wheels :devil:

60-250 looks like a nice sharp lens to own, interesting focal length range, heard it's quite well-balanced and handles well, but of course price is a factor too

Wow,:bigeyes:

Your super 60-250mm make me much want to buy this good lense. Time for me to save up until buy this. Thank you for posting your super images....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

One question is I wonder if this 60-250mm with K20D can catch fast moving objects like F1???

Unless you are near the fence, you need longer than 250mm.:bsmilie:

PLENTY of practice.

But yes I do see your point ;)

Hi all,

K20D + DA*60-250 f4 @ f5.6, 250mm, 1/400sec, ISO200

113909984.jpg

Cool lense you own, Lance. This bird seems well fed ... must be a popular park with the local families. :bsmilie:

Glad to see these samples, at least you shown what can the len can really achieve

Thank you for your nice comments.

... it sort of become I got to get this len someday, seeing all these sharp and naturally contrasty samples ... Could you imagine, one day all pentaxian mininum stardard have all these kind of samples....

What more could I ask for, Pentax is fighting tough...

Agreed! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.