D90 or 500D for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
use your money and buy a nice new bag to carry your full HD camcorder along with your 450D
and maybe a nice fast lens as well

use your money and buy a nice new bag to carry your full HD camcorder along with your 450D
and maybe a nice fast lens as well

thats what i am doing now.. a sling bag with my camcorder and 450D ... but there are just times when i am holding the 450D .. i want to record a quick video clip .. the hassle to change to the camcorder for just a mere 10-15 sec video sometimes quiet troublesome... many times i just never bother and slip away some opportunity

thats what i am doing now.. a sling bag with my camcorder and 450D ... but there are just times when i am holding the 450D .. i want to record a quick video clip .. the hassle to change to the camcorder for just a mere 10-15 sec video sometimes quiet troublesome... many times i just never bother and slip away some opportunity

You might be disappointed to know that DSLR lens will not autofocus while filming video. Im not sure if 500d will autofocus but I bet the sound created by the lens motor will get recorded also.

You might be disappointed to know that DSLR lens will not autofocus while filming video. Im not sure if 500d will autofocus but I bet the sound created by the lens motor will get recorded also.

its ok.. i know.. i dont expect it to work like PNS's AF (actually many PNS also no AF in video mode) ... definitely nothing compared to a camcorder

its not that hard.. for a short clip.. u AF 1st at the object, then start video record... if the object moved, adjust manually... (500D got AF during video, need to press the AF button but the AF motor sound will be recorded, esp a non USM lens)

D90 and D5000 share the same sensor and image processor. How did that translate to the D5000 having better iso performance? If you have read from somewhere that explains or shows this in a controlled test environment, please share.

As for the comparison of D300 vs D5000, posted by KRW, D300's iso performance is actually much better than the D5000 up till 3200. At 6400, it loses some detail due to the NR algorithm. That said, if you take the RAW taken at 6400 iso (or turn off NR) from D300 and D5000, and process NR yourself, they are about at par.

Personally, I seldom go over 1600 iso when I shoot. Only once did I push to 3200. And I never had to do 6400. There you go.

BTW, don't believe everything KRW says. Some of the stuff he says I find are rubbish. But still, he is an entertaining read for laughs. If you want to read good solid reviews, read this one http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

ok sori, ts might have blown it out of proportion but note that i said "tiny bit better" i was referring to the JPG processing from the review by thom hogan:

http://www.bythom.com/nikond5000review.htm

to quote "The D5000, on the other hand, has slightly better JPEGs at high ISO values " so it has more to do with JPEG processing actually. This type of measuring are what ken rockwell called measurebators :bsmilie:

ken rockwell is very biased yeah so i don't actually heed his recommendations but i find him a nice source of factual infos and history

i feel you, video function is a very nice add on to a dslr, note that dslr has larger sensors compared to camcorders and thus can give you the "hollywood effect" of blurring when you use large aperture lens, and remember that lens are interchangeable also, i don't think a camcorder can duplicate the field of view and resolution of a 300mm lens or a wide angle lens for that matter

i feel you, video function is a very nice add on to a dslr, note that dslr has larger sensors compared to camcorders and thus can give you the "hollywood effect" of blurring when you use large aperture lens, and remember that lens are interchangeable also, i don't think a camcorder can duplicate the field of view and resolution of a 300mm lens or a wide angle lens for that matter

yes.. while it cannot replace the convenient of AF and lens stability of a camcorder.. camcorder also cannot hv those bokeh effect in a video that SLR delivers..

main main reason to change body is Video , then follow by better ISO .. which so happens that 500D and D90 is good at either one, but not both :(

yes.. while it cannot replace the convenient of AF and lens stability of a camcorder.. camcorder also cannot hv those bokeh effect in a video that SLR delivers..

main main reason to change body is Video , then follow by better ISO .. which so happens that 500D and D90 is good at either one, but not both :(

if can't give up one get the 7d lah! 450d to 500d or d90 is not an "upgrade" for me hehehe what's 1000$ compared to your happiness..that's just ~40$ per month for 2 years, just drink water and don't eat out and watch movie too much hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.