D800/E or D600

Well you have a point, and also its clear that D600 was created to make people of D90,D7000,D300s to move to FX so not to make D800/E suffer from the release of such camera it needs to be lower in spec's in many ways to leave room for D800 market grow as well as give juice for DX user to jump to FX user that can't afford a costly camera as D800/E upwards

It is all about product placement in different pricing tiers.

D1, D1X, D1H, D50, D70 and D40 all can do 1/500.. it was because they have a electronic shutter built into the CCD sensors. Mechanically, curtain shutters are not able to reach that speed...

I suspect D600 is using a shutter developed from the D7000 (cheaper), and since the sensor is larger, the shutter have more real estate to cover, so the sync drop down to 1/200.

Bro I know you shoot a lot of strobing stuff, you might want to reconsider the D600.

actually i plan to sell my jinbei strobe.. i got lesser time now.. and so my near plan is to focus more on landscape.. and people photography.. hmm.. see how la.. it is tiring.. haha..

Shutter sync speed is only as important as you wanna make it...Neutral density filters can solve most any situation where you cannot get the ISO down low enough...or the shutter speed up fast enough...My Gosh...what did we all do when 1/60th of a second was the norm...You guys have been listening to KRW to much and his rantings about fast sync...The strobist is another one who rants about shutter speed as well...And if you really need supersonic speed, then get LED's or Jokers...etc..:bsmilie:

Shutter sync speed is only as important as you wanna make it...Neutral density filters can solve most any situation where you cannot get the ISO down low enough...or the shutter speed up fast enough...My Gosh...what did we all do when 1/60th of a second was the norm...You guys have been listening to KRW to much and his rantings about fast sync...The strobist is another one who rants about shutter speed as well...And if you really need supersonic speed, then get LED's or Jokers...etc..:bsmilie:

You should read the article george. It does matter, and ND filters do not solve the problem... It affects how powerful your lights need to be, to overpower the sun.

http://strobist.blogspot.sg/2012/09/nikon-d600-think-twice-before-you-jump.html

BTW, it has nothing to do with KRW, I think he loves the D600. The groans are coming from the Strobist community.. David, especially.

And BTW... what did we do when 1/60 was the norm? We had to pay through our noses and buy very powerful and expensive lights...

Last edited:
Most working photogs (like me)...make due with whats on hand, not whats on our wish list!!!!...For that matter I will wager that most of the time a majority of you will not need a super fast sync speed....and if you are that 5% that do, than just get a body that can sync fast...I personnally do not rely on only one camera to be the "do it all" or "best of all" I have 2 FF, 4 DX, and 3 M4/3 bodies...along with several film bodies...I just use what will get the job done on that particular day.. :cool:

that's why some (mostly ppl who use strobe) are attracted to leaf shutter offer by camera like Mamiya RB67 etc.. all shutter speeds are syn..

sometimes when the model is moving, we hope to freeze the motion , and that time u will be very happy if u can syn at 1/500s, else must buy expensive strobe

Most working photogs (like me)...make due with whats on hand, not whats on our wish list!!!!...For that matter I will wager that most of the time a majority of you will not need a super fast sync speed....and if you are that 5% that do, than just get a body that can sync fast...I personnally do not rely on only one camera to be the "do it all" or "best of all" I have 2 FF, 4 DX, and 3 M4/3 bodies...along with several film bodies...I just use what will get the job done on that particular day.. :cool:

You are one of the lucky ones who can actually afford all these... But not everyone is as lucky as you. Many people have to make do with one camera body due to budget restrictions.

I am just putting the information out, so people can make informed decisions... don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
You should read the article george. It does matter, and ND filters do not solve the problem... It affects how powerful your lights need to be, to overpower the sun.

Strobist: Nikon D600: Think Twice Before You Jump

BTW, it has nothing to do with KRW, I think he loves the D600. The groans are coming from the Strobist community.. David, especially.

And BTW... what did we do when 1/60 was the norm? We had to pay through our noses and buy very powerful and expensive lights...

Do you really think that we never shot into the sun before those guys...And for that matter 1/500 of a second is only one stop, and like I said use a neutral density filter...It works every time,

that's why some (mostly ppl who use strobe) are attracted to leaf shutter offer by camera like Mamiya RB67 etc.. all shutter speeds are syn..

sometimes when the model is moving, we hope to freeze the motion , and that time u will be very happy if u can syn at 1/500s, else must buy expensive strobe

Or those water splash shots outdoor...

Do you really think that we never shot into the sun before those guys...And for that matter 1/500 of a second is only one stop, and like I said use a neutral density filter...It works every time,

It doesn't if your flash is not powerful enough... like a speedlight.

Everytime you can use a faster shutter speed, you can use a wider aperture. When you can use a wider aperture, you can use less power from a flash/strobe. That translates to faster recycling, more shots out from the same batteries. Not to mention, some speedlights just cannot give enough power.

Any way of course if you want the fast synce and just gotta have it than of course go get it...I am just trying to save people a bit of money over something that may be a bit hyped up by some bologist and web writers.....I have utter respect for both the strobist and KRW in general. but many of us "old school" guys know how to do work arounds......By the way I am not rich...I buy plenty of second hand stuff in fact most of the time...Its like Joe Farace said in Shtterbug one time...The gear is a tool, not Jewelry...(He really said that he is not going to wear it like jewelry), but anyway you get the idea... Cheers;)

Any way of course if you want the fast synce and just gotta have it than of course go get it...I am just trying to save people a bit of money over something that may be a bit hyped up by some bologist and web writers.....I have utter respect for both the strobist and KRW in general. but many of us "old school" guys know how to do work arounds......By the way I am not rich...I buy plenty of second hand stuff in fact most of the time...Its like Joe Farace said in Shtterbug one time...The gear is a tool, not Jewelry...(He really said that he is not going to wear it like jewelry), but anyway you get the idea... Cheers;)

Same reason most of these guys are talking about the sync speed. To put out more info out there so people can make the right decisions, and save money too...

Cannot deny that the strobist movement have put quality light into the hands of people at prices never thought possible. Which is why I think these rants are very valid and accurate.

It doesn't if your flash is not powerful enough... like a speedlight.

Everytime you can use a faster shutter speed, you can use a wider aperture. When you can use a wider aperture, you can use less power from a flash/strobe. That translates to faster recycling, more shots out from the same batteries. Not to mention, some speedlights just cannot give enough power.
I agree with you on the speed light thing...I pretty much use full blown battery strobes even outdoors...currently I use the Lite Treks (I have 3 sets) I also have 2 single light sets of quadra's that i bought second hand. I like the Lite treks (cononmark) better, Hard to beat for the money...The rest of the time I use several SB28's... sometimes 6 or 8 at a time with cactus5 triggers when I need the power...

I agree with you on the speed light thing...I pretty much use full blown battery strobes even outdoors...currently I use the Lite Treks (I have 3 sets) I also have 2 single light sets of quadra's that i bought second hand. I like the Lite treks (cononmark) better, Hard to beat for the money...The rest of the time I use several SB28's... sometimes 6 or 8 at a time with cactus5 triggers when I need the power...

i sell u my jinbei discovery

600w, got modelling light, which your conomark doesn't ;p

Yep, that is why you understand the limitations and why having fast sync is important. The faster the better.

another scenario, outdoor swimming, if we need to capture a water splash on a model in bright daylight... a sync of 1/200 ain't gonna cut it...

Yep, that is why you understand the limitations and why having fast sync is important. The faster the better.

another scenario, outdoor swimming, if we need to capture a water splash on a model in bright daylight... a sync of 1/200 ain't gonna cut it...
In this case I have used an ND filter and a head or 2 with short flash duration (i.e. Elinchrom quadra A heads) work well...(if you do not have a D70 that is) or several ganged up SB28's But thats a lot of work...Just get the fast sync He He..:cool:

Yeah, I have been looking at the Jinbea Discover 600...I think next time I am in Singapore, I will chk it out with you...right now I cheet with the modeling light and turn on a couple of my 160 LED portable lights for modeling...I just clamp them to the light stand below the strobe heads...:bsmilie:

In this case I have used an ND filter and a head or 2 with short flash duration (i.e. Elinchrom quadra A heads) work well...(if you do not have a D70 that is) or several ganged up SB28's But thats a lot of work...Just get the fast sync He He..:cool:

Good thing you have those Quadras.... Don't think the 28s can handle it.

Last edited: